Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing 12v battery

Edgie70

Hi all , if I take off the 12v Battery from my car and charge it in my kitchen will I need to program anything when I put it back in the car and connect it back up ? It's a 2019 Corolla 1.2t , thanks 

No, I don’t think so. 
Make sure the car is fully unlocked and if the Battery is located in the boot instead of under bonnet place a cloth or towel over the hatchback lock hook to prevent rear hatchback from closing as the opening button is electronic and no power means not possible to unlock and gain access. 👍

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

No, I don’t think so. 
Make sure the car is fully unlocked and if the battery is located in the boot instead of under bonnet place a cloth or towel over the hatchback lock hook to prevent rear hatchback from closing as the opening button is electronic and no power means not possible to unlock and gain access. 👍

Thanks Tony , the Battery is under the bonnet , I'm only asking because the vehicle has been stood / driven very little whilst it was at the dealership before I bought it , I see a fair few people who have bought cars that were stood and eventually they suffer with Battery issues so I just want to make sure I'm safe to take it off without creating mahem lol 

Btw is there no way to open the boot if the exterior switch fails ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edgie70 said:

Thanks Tony , the battery is under the bonnet , I'm only asking because the vehicle has been stood / driven very little whilst it was at the dealership before I bought it , I see a fair few people who have bought cars that were stood and eventually they suffer with battery issues so I just want to make sure I'm safe to take it off without creating mahem lol 

Btw is there no way to open the boot if the exterior switch fails ? 

Hi, 

understand. 
For the switch I am not sure on Corolla. It might be a small opening hatch from inside that you can remove and eventually click the lock manual and release, but I haven’t tried or done that on any Toyota so far so I can’t say for sure. 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply, I've searched Google and it looks like the Corolla hatch doesn't have an emergency boot opening feature in case the switch fails on the boot , bit poor that I think 🤔

I think you'd need to reset the time and radio presets (I had to when I got my Mk4 back!), but pretty much everything else is normally stored in ECU flash memory now.

But TBH it's not worth the hassle - Just keep a portable jump starter to get the car going and use the car to charge the Battery by keeping it on/going for a drive. (Or fit some trickle-charger fly leads if you're able to use a trickle-charger)

If you do have to change the Battery & you have DAB radio just hover your finger over the selectod option if it says no SIGNAL move to the next option until it responds with a signal.

After that select FM then AM but to be honest I still have not tuned in the AM.

Clock may just need adjusting for daylight saving option that presuming you have sat nav system.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links