Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fast idle on 2.0 Corolla

Matt1307

Hi all.

My 2022 Corolla 2.0 Excel seems to idle too fast?

It sits around 1300 rpm and then on occasions jumps to 2000 rpm?

Any clues?

Car has 13000 miles on the clock, fully serviced.

Hi Matt, 

The Toyota hybrids has variable speeds when idling and this depends of what exactly the engine is doing, warming up itself, charging or discharging the traction Battery. Sometimes it is a combination of all above.
There is nothing to worry about. It’s all part of the hybrid experience. 👍

• Like 4

Awesome 👍

It's my 1st hybrid so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the advice.

Much appreciated 👍👍👍

• Like 1

it does seem strange that it`s idle revs can be higher than it`s running revs at times but as been already said it`s normal.

There's no such thing as 'idling' on a hybrid. If the ICE is running it's because there is useful work needs to be done. That being the case it will run at the most appropriate RPM for the work it is doing.

If the car is stationary there are two things that the ICE might be needed for:

• Heating the cabin (or getting itself up to temperature if just started).
  • Charging the traction Battery.
  • Like 6

AndrueC and Tony hit the proverbial nail on the head there - The hybrids don't technically idle; If the engine's on when you're not moving, it's pretty much for one of the reasons listed above, which is why the rpm can be all over the place depending on the reason! :laugh: 

(Just be glad you don't have a Mk4 Yaris - I love mine but the one thing that annoys me is that 3-pot is very obnoxious when it's "idling" while I'm not moving! I deliberately take longer routes home to avoid long traffic jams to reduce the frequency of it happening! :laugh:  It's also a good excuse to go on a bit of a fun drive :naughty: )

• Like 2

Yes, 'idle' on a hybrid is when the engine is completely switched off! If the engine is running its for a specific reason.

• Like 3

Let me share something interesting with you guys that you probably won’t find out or experienced any time soon, at least not in the next 10 years or so. 

My hybrid Battery is on its end and now even after the slightest downhill the regen braking makes it full and the car starts the engine and spin it at crazy high rpm, perhaps 3000, maybe even more - ( No petrol used, no emissions, no vapour behind). 
The funny thing is that after I complete my downhill usually I come into a stop at traffic lights or roundabout and with Battery full the engine starts and  is screaming high and the other drivers around start looking at me, like wt ,, what is he doing, ready to race with us 🏁🏎 😂, then we move off the line and the car immediately shuts off the engine and flick into ev only because there is plenty of power into the Battery.
This is one of the most common signs of weak hybrid battery, quick charge and discharge cycles. 👌

• Like 4

Hello Tony,so bearing in mind your post, does that signal that it's either replace the hybrid Battery,or the car is unusable/scrap?

Just thinking ahead a bit,if I do finish up buying a used hybrid, say 8-10 years old just how much life would be left in it.

I don't think the figures would add up for me if spending a good few thousand and only 5 years left on its useful life.

But I know very little about hybrids, apart from what I read on here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Hello Tony,so bearing in mind your post, does that signal that it's either replace the hybrid battery,or the car is unusable/scrap?

Just thinking ahead a bit,if I do finish up buying a used hybrid, say 8-10 years old just how much life would be left in it.

I don't think the figures would add up for me if spending a good few thousand and only 5 years left on its useful life.

But I know very little about hybrids, apart from what I read on here.

Probably about 15 years on average and depending on miles , maintenance etc. I am about to find out, hopefully not soon as I really would like this car to last me till or past 300k miles without any major repairs. , I am approaching 260000 soon.  If you buy a 10 years old hybrid then 5 years or so perhaps it will be ok, and there are some warranty terms too, if within mileage and dealer serviced car I believe you are covered against any Battery issues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links