Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 PHEV GR Sport

Doubletalkjive

Hi, has anyone actually got one of these (RAV4 PHEV GR Sport 2023/2024 facelift)?

I have one of these on order since early November and an estimated delivery date 1st March. I know that’s a pretty quick delivery time. Just interested to know if anyone else has one and if so what your experience has been of the stiffer suspension etc.?

Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doubletalkjive said:

Hi, has anyone actually got one of these (RAV4 PHEV GR Sport 2023/2024 facelift)?

I have one of these on order since early November and an estimated delivery date 1st March. I know that’s a pretty quick delivery time. Just interested to know if anyone else has one and if so what your experience has been of the stiffer suspension etc.?

Thanks

Am interested in similar. Especially to see what kit we do or don't get. Wanting to see photos. Our company car people have said the spec keeps changing and it's not always reflected accurately in the Toyota material. 

About to put an order in. My current dynamic premium 2021 R4P is to be replaced in August. GR Sport PHEV seems like my best option. Since it is my only option now to meet my needs I'll take the suspension however it comes. I think it's a very minor difference. Of the order 10 or 15% stiffer front and a few percent at the rear I think. Not expecting it to be hugely different. I find the suspension reasonable for an SUV.

I've been spoiled in the past by a lowered AMG suspension and very big brakes. Car was on rails pretty much. Think I did the best part of 90mph around a roundabout once and only then it did slide off the rails slightly. It was beautifully predictable however. Young daughter anaphylaxis going blue, risk of death, and the ambulance was going to be another half hour or so, and we had waited a while by this point already. Answer, record time set to reach the hospital from 2 or 3 miles  away. Late night, no one on the roads. Needs must. 

• Like 1

Wow, sounds like a real hair raising experience! Needs must indeed!

Re. Spec - I’m expecting it to have everything apart from JBL Speakers, the rear view ‘camera’ mirror and cooled (ventilated) seats. EU models get the first two. I don’t think any regions get the cooled seats any longer.

That’s according to the spec on the Toyota UK site. It seems to be the same now as when I ordered it. Step 3 of 4 in ‘Your customisation’ lists everything you get. 

I agree, I don’t think there is much in it with the suspension.

Anyway it will be a complete change from my current 10 year old Megane. Test drove the PHEV only once before going ahead. It felt ‘like a tank’ and I mean that in a good way!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doubletalkjive said:

Wow, sounds like a real hair raising experience! Needs must indeed!

Re. Spec - I’m expecting it to have everything apart from JBL speakers, the rear view ‘camera’ mirror and cooled (ventilated) seats. EU models get the first two. I don’t think any regions get the cooled seats any longer.

That’s according to the spec on the Toyota UK site. It seems to be the same now as when I ordered it. Step 3 of 4 in ‘Your customisation’ lists everything you get. 

I agree, I don’t think there is much in it with the suspension.

Anyway it will be a complete change from my current 10 year old Megane. Test drove the PHEV only once before going ahead. It felt ‘like a tank’ and I mean that in a good way!

It's a great car. Probably one of my better. Utilitarian. Superb economy. Getting 50 to 54mpg real. Mostly driving electric miles outside of that. Good size. And instant onset vast power because of the motors and CVT. About as fast as a civic type R 0 to 60mph. And faster than a Toyota Supra 50 to 70mph according to one test website. Looks nice and aggressive too. 

Nice and comfortable interior although the centre console is too wide and close for my left knee (6ft 2, 15+ st these days). Very uncomfortable on a long trip until I put a stick on black faux leather shaped pad designed for this very reason for the RAV. No problem after that. 

So the suspension will be stiffer than I thought. Just checked via another thread. 20% stiffer front, 12% stiffer rear. That will be noticeable for me and hopefully in a good way. It goes around corners reasonably well already and it's not at all like some Yacht SUVs, but it's not an M Sport or AMG SUV handling either. So a welcome bonus for me. Probably makes handling much better than average SUV. 

21 hours ago, Doubletalkjive said:

Thanks

One thing I've been unable to confirm with my company car people and the dealer is whether the wing mirrors are electrically folding, especially now they have the pan cameras in the bottom. They are on my current R4P and it has been a godsend when 2 cars are squeezing down a narrow lane or mountain pass. I'm folding them in literally 3 or 4 times a mile on some routes. 

Apparently it has ‘Auto-retractable door mirrors’ - that’s from the UK website. I never actually went through the specs with the dealer. As it’s the current model I simply went by the website. I guess I will find out in Feb/March (apparently it may come early Feb although officially early March). If it’s still an unknown by then I will report back.

Strangely enough my wife commented on how for such a large car (at least compared to our Megane) it doesn’t have more room for the front occupants. I did find the width a little narrow given the size of the car. I’m a similar height to you. But if it bugs me and there is a workaround, as you have suggested, it’s all good.

Having said that I tried a Hyundai Tuscon a few years back and the RAV4 is far more spacious in the front. 

• Like 1

I always thought I was quite a ‘fast’ driver. But I realise that isn’t really the case. But I do like knowing that if I put my foot down ‘to avoid a dangerous situation on the road’ there is the potential there 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

whether the wing mirrors are electrically folding, especially now they have the pan cameras in the bottom.

They are on my Excel ... and PVM still works when they are folded ...

• Thanks 1

So I own a RAV4 GR Sport PHEV since July. You can see it on my profile pic.

I had tested a normal PHEV and for me GR Sport just improves it where needed for me: quicker steering, less pitch and dive, great holding seats. No huge difference in ultimate grip (same tyres) or body roll but just feels tight in a nice way. A tiny deterioration in ride comfort but me I couldnt stand the walowy nature of the normal car. I have driven it really hard in the pyrenees, I have crossed the continent in comfort.... the only place where I found it a little big fidgety was British B roads but again I'd rather have that than the lack of engagement and precision of the normal one. Just my personal take! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

They are on my Excel ... and PVM still works when they are folded ...

I really hope that's the case on the GR Sport. 

Folding the wing mirrors has avoided probably a dozen broken ones. Having the PVR still working with them folded is going to be great for getting close to the rocks at the roadside without hitting them, as another car, van, bus, lorry, coach passes by on the other side. 

I'm sure they will be and like you I travel on some pretty small roads when passing a tractor or car the folding wing mirrors becomes a necessity rather than a simple add on. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Doubletalkjive said:

Apparently it has ‘Auto-retractable door mirrors’ - that’s from the UK website. I never actually went through the specs with the dealer. As it’s the current model I simply went by the website. I guess I will find out in Feb/March (apparently it may come early Feb although officially early March). If it’s still an unknown by then I will report back.

Strangely enough my wife commented on how for such a large car (at least compared to our Megane) it doesn’t have more room for the front occupants. I did find the width a little narrow given the size of the car. I’m a similar height to you. But if it bugs me and there is a workaround, as you have suggested, it’s all good.

Having said that I tried a Hyundai Tuscon a few years back and the RAV4 is far more spacious in the front. 

This was it... Occasionally comes available on Amazon but not currently. I got mine from the Chinese version of eBay. Can't recall cost. Probably 10 or 15 quid. 

SmartSelect_20231219_121555_Amazon Shopping.jpg

14 hours ago, RAV4GRS said:

I had tested a normal PHEV and for me GR Sport just improves it where needed for me: quicker steering, less pitch and dive, great holding seats. No huge difference in ultimate grip (same tyres) or body roll but just feels tight in a nice way. A tiny deterioration in ride comfort but me I couldnt stand the walowy nature of the normal car. I have driven it really hard in the pyrenees, I have crossed the continent in comfort.... the only place where I found it a little big fidgety was British B roads but again I'd rather have that than the lack of engagement and precision of the normal one. Just my personal take! 

Awesome feedback. Thanks. That's reassuring and I'm in your camp on this. And is yours a UK model or Euro?

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

This was it... Occasionally comes available on Amazon but not currently. I got mine from the Chinese version of eBay. Can't recall cost. Probably 10 or 15 quid. 

This is brilliant! Thanks! Looks very tidy too.

Our Megane now has a red Battery STOP light on the dash but it still drives (apparently ECU linked to start/stop). I just need it to hold on till the RAV4 arrives… spent £6K on repairs in the last 2 years… 

I need reliability 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doubletalkjive said:

This is brilliant! Thanks! Looks very tidy too.

Our Megane now has a red battery STOP light on the dash but it still drives (apparently ECU linked to start/stop). I just need it to hold on till the RAV4 arrives… spent £6K on repairs in the last 2 years… 

I need reliability 

Sounds like a similar journey. Had a Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 GT300. PHEV. Fast, powerful car with lots of innovation, lovely interior. But, the main things didn't work, constantly breaking and more. Company car which got returned after spending 6 months of the 9 or 10 months I had it from new, in the Peugeot dealership failing to fix it. Many folks not so lucky and have spent many thousands and still it don't work.

Never again. I won't get French ever again and will only entertain premium German brands, Volvo and Toyota now.

Terrible experience. My 17 year old vauxhall Corsa run about, spend near zero, self maintained, car was massively more robust and reliable. 

18 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I have something similar and makes a big difference.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 1:20 PM, Nick72 said:

Awesome feedback. Thanks. That's reassuring and I'm in your camp on this. And is yours a UK model or Euro?

Euro model but shouldnt change from Euro to UK much in spec. BTW the seats are more grippy simply because of the alcantara trim not the shape itself, so it means you dont slide around but still get the comfort of the normal one. I have had lots of Toyotas and this is the best ever...

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, Nick72 said:

Sounds like a similar journey. Had a Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 GT300. PHEV. Fast, powerful car with lots of innovation, lovely interior. But, the main things didn't work, constantly breaking and more. Company car which got returned after spending 6 months of the 9 or 10 months I had it from new, in the Peugeot dealership failing to fix it. Many folks not so lucky and have spent many thousands and still it don't work.

Never again. I won't get French ever again and will only entertain premium German brands, Volvo and Toyota now.

Terrible experience. My 17 year old vauxhall Corsa run about, spend near zero, self maintained, car was massively more robust and reliable. 

I feel your pain with French cars. I had 2 Peugeot’s before the Megane. Both died… you would have thought I had learnt my lesson… well maybe I have!

• Like 1

That's always why Toyota have been slightly more expensive than the direct competition - reliability takes investment in what matters rather than in frippery. Long may it be so that the engineers call the final shots on what goes to market rather than the accountants.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2023 at 9:46 PM, RAV4GRS said:

I saw this review on YouTube and Thomas mentions that the main key fob comes with a special secondary key fob that is designed to protect the car against theft via the ‘canbus hack’ through the headlight. Did you receive one of these additional fobs? Or perhaps only the EU models are getting it…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Doubletalkjive said:

I saw this review on YouTube and Thomas mentions that the main key fob comes with a special secondary key fob that is designed to protect the car against theft via the ‘canbus hack’ through the headlight. Did you receive one of these additional fobs? Or perhaps only the EU models are getting it…

I'm not sure anyone has a UK GR Sport PHEV as yet? If so then I've got loads of questions for them. I'm just holding back on ordering until I can see some UK version owner comments.

I imagine we would get it. Seems like a silly solution to me. 

There must be at least one out there, the showroom model Burrows of Doncaster had a few months ago has long gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

There must be at least one out there, the showroom model Burrows of Doncaster had a few months ago has long gone. 

I've seen them in the show rooms here for about 6 months. Just not heard of anyone in the UK having a UK model. But you're right, there must be.

I'm interested  to know what the boot space looks like without the JBL bass speaker and whether on the opposite side there's a little net in front of the little cubby hole which always seemed ideal for cartons of milk, bottles of water, or a 4 pack of beer! 😂

On 12/24/2023 at 10:09 PM, Doubletalkjive said:

I have the main key and received the 2nd key last week… I didn’t notice anything special so this may well be an accessory and not every country takes it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I've seen them in the show rooms here for about 6 months. Just not heard of anyone in the UK having a UK model. But you're right, there must be.

I'm interested  to know what the boot space looks like without the JBL bass speaker and whether on the opposite side there's a little net in front of the little cubby hole which always seemed ideal for cartons of milk, bottles of water, or a 4 pack of beer! 😂

Any RAV PHEV without JBL will provide your answer, doesn’t specifically have to be a GR Sport. I agree about the idea of a net or strap. I keep thinking about improvising something for my car. At the moment I have a small canvas bag that nicely fits in the recess. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links