Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 PHEV GR Sport

Doubletalkjive

On 12/24/2023 at 8:09 PM, Doubletalkjive said:

I saw this review on YouTube and Thomas mentions that the main key fob comes with a special secondary key fob that is designed to protect the car against theft via the ‘canbus hack’ through the headlight. Did you receive one of these additional fobs? Or perhaps only the EU models are getting it…

The latest RAV4 PHEV Owner's Manual (July 2023) describes the two 'standard' keys that we have come to know and love. If they were now shipping something different, you'd expect to see that reflected in an updated manual ...

What he is holding looks like the fob for an aftermarket immobiliser. It could be that a particular geography is fitting something at their equivalent of Burnaston? Wild speculation only - I really don't know, but it doesn't feel like a factory fit solution ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Any RAV PHEV without JBL will provide your answer, doesn’t specifically have to be a GR Sport. I agree about the idea of a net or strap. I keep thinking about improvising something for my car. At the moment I have a small canvas bag that nicely fits in the recess. 

That's what logic would tell us. However I'm not so sure about the logic as far as Toyota UK is concerned.🙃

Toyota will not make two different boot designs and mouldings for cars without JBL. Simple economics. Different items in the specs is one thing, different boot interior design and shape is another. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Toyota will not make two different boot designs and mouldings for cars without JBL. Simple economics. Different items in the specs is one thing, different boot interior design and shape is another. 

Well that's great news if that's what they have done. Logical. It means it should have the little net on the cubby hole on the right. Works for me. 🙂👍👍

From what I understand it is the lack of canbus encryption which makes the car vulnerable. You can send instructions via the canbus by simply interfacing with it. I find it hard to believe that Toyota have not implemented encryption natively. In my line of work encryption is the norm… you simply don’t send unencrypted traffic over cables (or via air). Especially when you know that it poses a significant security risk. Having to physically protect access to the wires behind the headlights by welding metal plates in place (aftermarket) seems like a rather blunt ‘solution’. This and catalytic converter theft are two big issues with Toyota. Although apparently the RAV4 is low risk for cat theft. Here is the 2019 article from Toyota with 2.3K comments https://mag.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car/ - surely there is more that manufacturers can do to stop this? Why should the customer have to seek aftermarket solutions? I say either increase vehicle prices and incorporate these solutions as standard or give the option to pay extra at the point of purchase if need be. I would pay extra for cat protection and canbus encryption at the point of purchase… I mean who wouldn’t?!

Sorry this ended up being a rant. Rant over 🙂 

Anyone had their RAV4 stolen or catalytic converter?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Doubletalkjive said:

Anyone had their RAV4 stolen or catalytic converter?

Might I refer you to a fairly lengthy thread on the topic and suggest that you take further discussion there? 😉 

22 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Might I refer you to a fairly lengthy thread on the topic and suggest that you take further discussion there? 😉 

Thanks! Will check it out now 🙂

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve just ordered mine  in white/black and a Pan roof , no delivery date as yet but was told early May. Photos to follow 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 9:46 PM, RAV4GRS said:

So I own a RAV4 GR Sport PHEV since July. You can see it on my profile pic.

I had tested a normal PHEV and for me GR Sport just improves it where needed for me: quicker steering, less pitch and dive, great holding seats. No huge difference in ultimate grip (same tyres) or body roll but just feels tight in a nice way. A tiny deterioration in ride comfort but me I couldnt stand the walowy nature of the normal car. I have driven it really hard in the pyrenees, I have crossed the continent in comfort.... the only place where I found it a little big fidgety was British B roads but again I'd rather have that than the lack of engagement and precision of the normal one. Just my personal take! 

Have you a spare tyre in the boot? My car is coming first week of March. I prefer the spare tyre rather than the repair kit that comes with it and the dealer said they can't supply me with one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Torrox said:

Have you a spare tyre in the boot? My car is coming first week of March. I prefer the spare tyre rather than the repair kit that comes with it and the dealer said they can't supply me with one.

No... Tyre repair kit only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAV4GRS said:

No... Tyre repair kit only.

Thank you for your answer. Are you planning to get a spare tyre?

20 hours ago, Torrox said:

Thank you for your answer. Are you planning to get a spare tyre?

No! And I do like the space for bags, cables etc...

Picked up the RAV4 PHEV GR Sport 2 days ago. It comes with mats 🙂 haven’t actually plugged it in yet so running it in Hybrid mode mostly. I’ve noticed that at speeds around 20mph (in London most of it is 20mph), the petrol engine can suddenly rev high (aircon on) when Battery level is too low. It almost seems as if the eCVT is going a little crazy trying to work out the revs. If I actually had charge in the Battery this wouldn’t happen of course. I am driving in Eco mode almost always and I noticed that when I switch to Normal or Sport whilst it does rev more it actually delivers power far more quickly. Which means I can actually get some return far more quickly from putting my foot down (albeit only getting to 20mph…). In Eco it seems like it is taking much longer to deliver the power - which I know is the point! So without charge in the Battery I may be more inclined to stick to Normal mode in town. Being a new car I have been gentle so far!

I’m also getting used to the electrical noises you get from the car. Especially a high pitch when around 20mph and accelerating. Again in Eco mode and it lasts a few seconds.

I don’t feel anything is untoward. Just some initial impressions.

Otherwise the vehicle is great. No JBL and No digital rear view camera and No ventilated seats. But it has everything else. So exactly as it should be per UK spec.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doubletalkjive said:

haven’t actually plugged it in yet so ...

... you could have saved yourself some money and bought a HEV instead ... 😁

I pretty much only use Normal ... 😉

• Haha 3

The ICE is tuned to run most of the time at around 2000 rpm this is the sweet spot for efficiency and delivering charge to the traction Battery, (around 41% efficiency). The design of the engine gear system always has a tendency to make the engine rev.

What you are seeing when switching between modes is perfectly normal, ECO restricts acceleration in comparison to NORMAL/SPORT it also modifies the AC/Heating system - all trying to improve efficiency.

I run my '21 PHEV in ECO/EV mode most of the time but I usually start off with a full traction Battery charge, overnight charge via the 240v mains, no special charger. The car consumes the traction Battery to around 30%, zero  EV range then automatically switches to HEV mode. Switching on things like the front window defrost will fire the ICE as will heavy braking, say downhill especially if the traction battery is full.

The HVAC system makes a lot on noise especially when it's cold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ernieb said:

The ICE is tuned to run most of the time at around 2000 rpm this is the sweet spot for efficiency and delivering charge to the traction battery, (around 41% efficiency). The design of the engine gear system always has a tendency to make the engine rev.

What you are seeing when switching between modes is perfectly normal, ECO restricts acceleration in comparison to NORMAL/SPORT it also modifies the AC/Heating system - all trying to improve efficiency.

I run my '21 PHEV in ECO/EV mode most of the time but I usually start off with a full traction battery charge, overnight charge via the 240v mains, no special charger. The car consumes the traction battery to around 30%, zero  EV range then automatically switches to HEV mode. Switching on things like the front window defrost will fire the ICE as will heavy braking, say downhill especially if the traction battery is full.

The HVAC system makes a lot on noise especially when it's cold. 

That all makes sense thanks. Just came back from a drive now and I notice when I am accelerating gently at a certain point during acceleration I hear a high pitch whine which is a constant pitch every time. It usually lasts for about 3-4 seconds and appears to come from the infotainment area. So if I hold the same speed it can keep occurring every 20 seconds or so. This only happens in HV mode and I’m only hearing it around 20mph and 30mph. Most likely because I’m holding that speed (the power gauge is at roughly the same place on the display, about 20% of the way into Eco). This is not the usual sound of the electric motor whine. It is a separate sound. My wife doesn’t hear it, I do… this is the challenge with these noises. If I know it’s normal it’s fine. Anyone else hearing anything like this in HV mode? Will try to record it and post a video.

I think one of the problems Mark is once you've 'tuned' into a sound the brain almost searches for the sound, whilst others don't know it's there.

6 hours ago, Doubletalkjive said:

Just came back from a drive now and I notice when I am accelerating gently at a certain point during acceleration I hear a high pitch whine which is a constant pitch every time. It usually lasts for about 3-4 seconds and appears to come from the infotainment area. So if I hold the same speed it can keep occurring every 20 seconds or so. This only happens in HV mode and I’m only hearing it around 20mph and 30mph. Most likely because I’m holding that speed (the power gauge is at roughly the same place on the display, about 20% of the way into Eco). This is not the usual sound of the electric motor whine. It is a separate sound. My wife doesn’t hear it, I do… this is the challenge with these noises. If I know it’s normal it’s fine. Anyone else hearing anything like this in HV mode? Will try to record it and post a video.

I don't believe that there are any "moving parts" inside the infotainment system, so it's probably not coming from there exactly.

Is the aircon on? Does the sound disappear if you switch it off? I'm assuming that it is sufficiently repeatable that you could do a reasonable test.

Similarly, I am assuming that the ICE is running at the time?

When running in HV mode, with a more depleted traction Battery, the system will periodically run MG1 as a generator to replenish the Battery. This is more likely to occur, noticeably, at steady lower speeds on the flat since there is less opportunity for regenerative braking under these circumstances.

I can sense when mine does this, but I certainly can't hear it other than as a marginally change in engine noise.

Just a guess as to a possible cause ... that you wouldn't need to worry about at all.

8 hours ago, Doubletalkjive said:

Just came back from a drive now and I notice when I am accelerating gently at a certain point during acceleration I hear a high pitch whine which is a constant pitch every time. It usually lasts for about 3-4 seconds and appears to come from the infotainment area.

High pitch noise is normal for EV cars and it's usually DC to AC converter causing it, converting DC Battery charge to AC for the electric motors. It's not supposed to be loud or annoying and some people won't even hear it as it's a high pitch but it's present. First time driving electric?

6 hours ago, ernieb said:

I think one of the problems Mark is once you've 'tuned' into a sound the brain almost searches for the sound, whilst others don't know it's there.

A previous CHR owner and now having the RAV4 PHEV and me being around engines all my life it still grinds on me to hear the engine revving it's t*ts off especially on light loads.

• Haha 1

My Yaris only does that if I'm flooring the accelerator! :laugh:

In normal cruising I've never seen it go much above 2000rpm, even at 70mph!

Your lucky, I haven't had a rev counter on the CHR or the RAV, so I just go by ear.

• Like 1

My Phev GR Sport is coming in March for the new registration. Last October I test drove a Phev dynamic and because it had enough Battery so the noise levels wasn't as bad as I thought when driving with auto HV/EV. Last week I test drove again with the new phev GR Sport, this time the Battery wasn't enough so the engine noise was substantial. The noise was much more pronounced in Eco mode but reduced in normal or sport mode. I think it's a new kind of power train for me so hopefully I will get better at driving it and I will get used to the noise eventually. 

The suspension however was much better than the previous phev dynamics. Steering is very precise and pleasurable. I tried driving through eco, normal and sport mode and in sport mode the car could almost fly. I wasn't impressed with the paddle shifters then maybe I didn't use it properly and possibly the best use for it is to reduce the speed to charge the Battery.

Two of the test drives were in small country roads so my impression isn't everything about the car.

• Like 1

The paddle shifters are not going to function like a real gearbox, it’s only a simulation as it’s still a CVT transmission. I had them on my Subaru XV (CVT) and after a while found them quite useful. The best way I found was to use them much earlier than I would with a traditional gearbox.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2024 at 5:26 PM, Torrox said:

My Phev GR Sport is coming in March for the new registration. Last October I test drove a Phev dynamic and because it had enough battery so the noise levels wasn't as bad as I thought when driving with auto HV/EV. Last week I test drove again with the new phev GR Sport, this time the battery wasn't enough so the engine noise was substantial. The noise was much more pronounced in Eco mode but reduced in normal or sport mode. I think it's a new kind of power train for me so hopefully I will get better at driving it and I will get used to the noise eventually. 

The suspension however was much better than the previous phev dynamics. Steering is very precise and pleasurable. I tried driving through eco, normal and sport mode and in sport mode the car could almost fly. I wasn't impressed with the paddle shifters then maybe I didn't use it properly and possibly the best use for it is to reduce the speed to charge the battery.

Two of the test drives were in small country roads so my impression isn't everything about the car.

Picked up the new GR sport PHEV last week.

The revs take some getting used to. I’m certainly finding that. At 20 or 30 in town you can get the revs when the traction Battery is around 30% - from time to time. It almost feels as if you haven’t engaged the clutch fully and the engine is delivering only some power to the wheels. My wife looks over at me and says that doesn’t seem right. I say, I know, it’s the eCVT and… then her eyes glaze over uninterested 🤣

I gave it a bit of oomph the other day having driven over 600 miles and the official break in period. Sport mode and some moderate acceleration on the A3 coming out of London. I honestly don’t think I’ll ever really need to floor the car. So much power and effortless. The thing is so smooth when it is not in crazy rev mode that I found myself at 30mph in a 20mph zone for some time and then noticed the police van behind me. You know that feeling when you try to ‘innocently’ slow down but not obviously… luckily there weren’t interested in me…

Suspension is great, firm but not too firm. I just find that you really need to hold things in place in the boot or they fly around. Getting a boot liner + some of those cargo storage boxes which can be fitted in place.

I’m sure you will enjoy it just as much as me!

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links