Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV heating oddities

Mike2222

Anyone else noticed that in EV mode, heating can sometimes be erratic? Seems to occasionally drop out entirely (no change in climate control screen or indications), and the cabin starts to cooler rapidly to ambient exterior temps. Almost like the heat pump turns itself off. 

I can't be sure if this relates to journeys where I've manually activated the HEV mode for motorway/dual carriage way sections, but I don't think it's exclusive to this. Does anyone know if the PHEV has the option to utilise engine excess heat to warm the cabin air, or does it always utilise the heat pump?? (I was wondering whether it was getting confused between which heating source to use perhaps, if has the option of either)

Could it be due to outside temperatures below zero.

Ive noticed that our 2020 RAV 4 PHEV does not deliver as good warmt whe pre heating cabin from MyT app, as when the outside temperatures are abowe zero.

I think ive experienced same problem as You describe.

Think ICE produce better heat when its very cold outside.

Maybe to weak heatpump?

The HEVC system does not work well as the outside temperature approaches -10oC. I usually run the car in ECO mode switching to NORMAL mode improves the heating/AC. If possible pre heat for the full 20mins when plugged into the house as this will use energy from the house not the car. Use the heated seats then switch to the second position to keep warm.

i think that as the temperature drops there is some kind of ceramic heater that kicks in which is still run from the traction Battery. Certainly the front window defrost will always fire the ICE but this is electric not waste engine heat.
Overall I’ve been pretty happy with the heating/conditioning system.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links