Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

6th generation RAV4 coming in 2025?

kucyk

1 hour ago, GBgraham said:

I would hazard a guess that the PHEV are the only model with a 220v socket, mine is listed as 150w which is enough to recharge most battery powered hand tools. FY I think most Of our American friends are on or around 120v so amps multiply (circa x2) to greater current draw UK 3kw/240v=12.5a USA 120v/3kw =25a

So it should be easier to address 240V. Less current through the system, means thinner cables.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torrox said:

... I am quite sure it 1500w and yours is an Across so not quite the same ! I spent times looking at the boot because I want a spar tyre, so if iirc in the boot it has a 12v and a 230v power.

My wife calls the Across the 'Scumbag Model'😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oscarmax said:

My wife calls the Across the 'Scumbag Model'😀

Just looked up a new 'scumbag model' 😀 is £49.5K which is the same price as the gr sport. I am sure you didn't pay yours with that price.

I am curious as why across doesn't have map, not that anyone cares about it anymore.😋

48 minutes ago, Torrox said:

Just looked up a new 'scumbag model' 😀 is £49.5K which is the same price as the gr sport. I am sure you didn't pay yours with that price.

I am curious as why across doesn't have map, not that anyone cares about it anymore.😋

You should hear what the wife call s me.😀

There are no remote features and the warranty is limited to 7 years, but to be honest I don't need the remote, I have a Garmin satnav or can plug in the iPhone plus I change vehicle every 3 to 4 years, at my age I am not going to leave it to the taxman in inheritance tax.

• Like 1

Very wise sir!👍👃

On 2/4/2024 at 1:24 PM, Nick72 said:

Thanks. 9 and 10bfor comedy purpose only. Although probably a reality in 10 years.  😉

We also get the JBL although now removed from the GR Sport. However, I wouldn't suggest it is a good sound system. It's very average. 

We also get the 150W output but frankly that's useless for anything other than charging a laptop. My laptop consumes 230W so it's already a useless addition. In the USA they get 1.5kW or is it 3kW I can't recall on their outlet. Now that's useful for power tools, microwave ovens and more. 

I also get 50 miles on average through the year. Close on 60 in summer but close on 40 in the winter. But it would be better for my use at least to be above 60 miles yearly average.

Got the 10.5 inch display. Still far too small compared to the competitors and a faff trying to press the right on-screen button in various apps because it's just all too small. 12 inch would be better.

Where do You find/get that info. about average EV range ?

Do You find/get it in MyT, from the "guessometer" or do You calculate by Your self.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, HSDish said:

Where do You find/get that info. about average EV range ?

Do You find/get it in MyT, from the "guessometer" or do You calculate by Your self.

Odometer. The guessometer isn't a million miles away but it is a rolling average as far as I can gather. Odometer is the only way to do it accurately ensuring in EV mode for all of the capacity. 

Around now I'm getting about 42 to 44 miles a charge with air con on. Height of summer without trying too hard I've had 59 with air con. Some folks in the USA have managed 60 to 62 with air con. 

I previously posted here a large amount of internet scraped data captured in charts. EV range vs temperature and average speed. Theoretical peak performance I seem to recall was at 25 to 30C and 45 to 50mph I think. That's slightly over 60 miles. Was a couple of years ago so my memory is fading. As I say, my yearly average is about 50 miles per charge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

Odometer. The guessometer isn't a million miles away but it is a rolling average as far as I can gather. Odometer is the only way to do it accurately ensuring in EV mode for all of the capacity. 

Around now I'm getting about 42 to 44 miles a charge with air con on. Height of summer without trying too hard I've had 59 with air con. Some folks in the USA have managed 60 to 62 with air con. 

I previously posted here a large amount of internet scraped data captured in charts. EV range vs temperature and average speed. Theoretical peak performance I seem to recall was at 25 to 30C and 45 to 50mph I think. That's slightly over 60 miles. Was a couple of years ago so my memory is fading. As I say, my yearly average is about 50 miles per charge. 

I have been down to as low as 37 miles this winter, otherwise 44/48, now start to see around 50/51, all with the heat/aircon on 20 degrees C all our journeys are local using A and B roads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

I have been down to as low as 37 miles this winter, otherwise 44/48, now start to see around 50/51, all with the heat/aircon on 20 degrees C all our journeys are local using A and B roads.

Comes down to temperature and average speed. Most of my daily trips are on dual carriageways averaging 45 to 50mph. Weather mild in the NW of England. Rarely get the extremes of UK weather and temperature. It's just wet from the south westerly from the Atlantic. 

• Like 1

Wishlist? Going to stick my spanner in the works here, how about a diesel hybrid? At least it would be good for towing!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kit5 said:

Wishlist? Going to stick my spanner in the works here, how about a diesel hybrid? At least it would be good for towing!

Had a diesel PHEV Volvo that I towed with. Economy and performance were no better than the RAV PHEV and sometimes worse. The main benefit was high speed cruising solo was better (I am talking about 100mph+ on the autobahns). 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kit5 said:

Towing down to the New Forest last year 178miles 1500kg caravan 35.4mpg PHEV didn't even break a sweat

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kit5 said:

I do however wonder if Toyota applied their same wizardry to diesel tech they have applied to petrol, what would be the outcome? However diesel has never caught on in Japan and other markets like it did in Europe. 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 12:27 PM, Nick72 said:

UK version or Euro?

I've seen some photos of the GR Sport where there's only a 12V socket and no 230 240V. Unclear which market. Keen to know what's in the UK version.

On 2/4/2024 at 12:42 PM, Oscarmax said:

Mine is only 150w

I am sorry, mia culpa. I went by the dealer today and check the power take off. There are a 12v and a 240v 150 watts. So Oscar you were right all along.

• Like 1

So...

Who will send this Wishlist to Toyota bosses ? 🙂

but seriously...

is there any way to get those wishes through, to Toyota ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HSDish said:

So...

but seriously...

There should be but whether they take any notice when their cars sell like hot cakes I'm not sure they do anything...?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HSDish said:

So...

but seriously...

And you have to bear in mind out of worldwide sales, the UK market for the RAV is minuscule. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kit5 said:

I'm quite skeptical about the idea of a diesel phev, given the inherent problems in diesel engines needing to warm up to operating temp to be properly efficient. I know Mercedes have been doing one for rhe last few years, but it's interesting to note they've whacked in a fairly massive Battery to their latest edition of the glc 300/400de. I think it's juts shy of 35kwh (not sure how much of that is usable), which is not far off a lot of prev gen standalone EVs like Nissan leaf and hyundai kona. 

Only way it makes sense really - such a big Battery that you only ever need to utilise engine for very long journeys. I don't know how efficient it is in HEV mode with a charged Battery (ie let's say you wanted to tow or high speed motorway/autobahn driving etc), but I doubt it's Toyota level. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike2222 said:

Only way it makes sense really - such a big battery that you only ever need to utilise engine for very long journeys.

Although the opposite makes some degree of sense too - small enough that can provide meaningful HEV assistance at a cruise, but also so that the engine is woken frequently to ensure engine maintains operating temp. Slightly defeats the emissions/clean urban air goals of electric transport tho 😂

A diesel PHEV could work for very specific driving cycles, but for the vast majority it would be awful.

The biggest problem with diesels is they are hilarious inefficient until they get to operating temperature.

Where they would work is in the same sort of things diesels were always good for - Sales Reps. Their typical daily journey involves epic motorway runs followed by a town crawl, and a diesel PHEV would be perfect for them, but for everyone else they'd suck as the diesel engine would never get to operating temperature with the stop-start-stop-start operating cycle of a typical hybrid.

IIRC some of the french manufacturers tried making a diesel hybrid - They stopped making them very quickly as they soon proved to be horrendously unreliable, and that's saying something for a french manufacturer! :laugh: 

Even the relatively refined french diesel engines just couldn't handle the constant on-off-on-off cycle - Even normal Euro-6 diesel engines don't cope very well with low duty cycle urban runs; Combine that with the on-off-on-off and you can imagine how much worse it would be!

6 hours ago, HSDish said:

So...

but seriously...

I sent mine to cr@toyota.co.uk. You can also try to find out the japanese customer service e-mail address, but they might not want to overstep their bounds with a foreign customer.

I like to think they listened to mine a bit, as they put a spare wheel and a HUD in the Mk4 Yaris, and also made it less than 4m long (Just...), which were all things I'd asked for!! :biggrin: 

Given those are things even the bigger cars don't get I like to think they took on board my suggestions :laugh: 

(If only I'd thought about the 360 degree camera and heated seats! :crybaby: In fairness I didn't think the visibility in the Mk4 Yaris would be so much worse than any of the previous ones, or that it would take such a big mpg hit trying to heat the car in winter while crawling through traffic!)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

And you have to bear in mind out of worldwide sales, the UK market for the RAV is minuscule. 

You have a good point there but, I think there is a lot of RAV 4 buyers around the world that would sign under a lot of the "wishes" named above.

Im living in Sweden and RAV 4 is verry popular here ( we are a small county though) and Ive heard similar wishes as above from RAV 4 owners (and dealers too)

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Jag skickade min till cr@toyota.co.uk. Du kan också försöka ta reda på den japanska kundtjänstens e-postadress, men de kanske inte vill överskrida sina gränser med en utländsk kund.

Jag gillar att tro att de lyssnade lite på min, eftersom de satte ett reservhjul och en HUD i Mk4 Yaris, och gjorde den mindre än 4m lång (bara...), vilket var allt jag hade bett om! !:stort flin: 

Med tanke på att det är saker även de större bilarna inte får, tycker jag om att de tog till sig mina förslag:skratt: 

(Om jag bara hade tänkt på 360 graders kamera och uppvärmda säten! :lipsill: I ärlighetens namn trodde jag inte att sikten i Mk4 Yaris skulle vara så mycket sämre än någon av de tidigare, eller att den skulle ta så stor mpg hit försöker värma upp bilen på vintern medan den kryper genom trafiken!)

Thanks.

I'll try that 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 4:12 PM, Nick72 said:

Honestly for me, and it's in my priority order...

1. Some luxury interior options. It's all a bit drab on the PHEV.

2. More electric power including especially the rear electric power and increase in overall power. 170hp rear motor would be nice.

3. Larger area displays for infotainment and driver combi with wireless android auto. Decent sound system option thrown in.

4. A decent MyT App with more functions which are also reliable.

5. Kick sensor boot opening.

6. High power mains outlet in the boot. Like the Americans get. So I can use my power tools off it when I'm doing up a priority or whatever.

7. Digital rear view mirror.

8. A 60+ miles average EV range battery. 

9. An autonomous drone I can send out to look at the roads ahead and feed that back through the infotainment system. And an electric scooter that can be pulled out from the rear of the car and which charges off the traction battery.

10. Laser and radar jammer system to defeat speeding sensors. I just received a ticket - first one in about a decade I think. 

1. I would add better sound insulation.

2. Better towing capacity.

3. Standart bigger sunroof.

4. Dubule laminated thicker glass windows.

5. Brighter LED lights in the interior. (Better lights in the trunk and at least one in the glove box.)

6. No more halogens turn signals in front and back. (it is 2024)

7.  Better plastic materials. (Nowadays everything needs to be soft touch at least to some extent.)

8. CVT with less droning sound.

9. Better quality cameras. (Those on my rav4 look like potatoes. And better software for controlling different views.)

10. More airy design with lots of glass for even better visibility and brighter inside.

11. Improved TSS 3 - 4 with level 2/3 autonomy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Micka669 said:

1. I would add better sound insulation.

2. Better towing capacity.

3. Standart bigger sunroof.

4. Dubule laminated thicker glass windows.

5. Brighter LED lights in the interior. (Better lights in the trunk and at least one in the glove box.)

6. No more halogens turn signals in front and back. (it is 2024)

7.  Better plastic materials. (Nowadays everything needs to be soft touch at least to some extent.)

8. CVT with less droning sound.

9. Better quality cameras. (Those on my rav4 look like potatoes. And better software for controlling different views.)

10. More airy design with lots of glass for even better visibility and brighter inside.

11. Improved TSS 3 - 4 with level 2/3 autonomy.

Good luck with L3 autonomy since no one has that nor anywhere close. Not for another 5 to 8 years. 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links