Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adaptive cruise, specifically on the continent

markscain

Hi, new forum member here. Just waiting to take delivery of my 23 corolla design. I have a question regarding the ACC, as my experience of ACC is from a Skoda.

When driving the Skoda on the motorway, if I indicate to overtake the car in front of me, my Skoda accelerates in anticipation of me changing lanes. Also, if I am in lane 1 and approaching a slower vehicle in lane 2, it will detect that car and slow me down to prevent undertaking.

On the continent, both these features work as well, but you have to go into the setting to tell the car which side of the road you’ll be driving on, so the detection can work.

My question is, how does this work on the Toyota? Does it operate the same? Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Mark, interesting question.  I took my Yaris to Netherlands last spring and that question never crossed my mind.  I cannot think of any issues with ACC.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Roy124,

I found this feature really useful on the Skoda, and was torn between the Toyota and the Skoda this time round. I'll be heading to France in August, so will update this post when I test it :-)

In my 2019 car, the car does accelerate when I indicate. Never noticed the car slowing as you described to stop undertaking.

• Thanks 1

On my 23 you have to specifically turn on ‘undertaking’ prevention if you want it - it’s not on as standard.

(I used to drive a VW that had it switched on as default but wasn’t much use on a busy motorway at slower speed with traffic at different speeds in different lanes when you should be passing on the left. )

I haven’t noticed it accelerating when indicating on ACC but it is fairly slow to react even when set to fast acceleration. 

• Thanks 1

In UK, it definitely accelerates when you indicate right to overtake a slower vehicle. 

You need to observe your blindspot though.  As you accelerate a car on your right might not clear your intended path in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:17 AM, markscain said:

Hi, new forum member here. Just waiting to take delivery of my 23 corolla design. I have a question regarding the ACC, as my experience of ACC is from a Skoda.

When driving the Skoda on the motorway, if I indicate to overtake the car in front of me, my Skoda accelerates in anticipation of me changing lanes. Also, if I am in lane 1 and approaching a slower vehicle in lane 2, it will detect that car and slow me down to prevent undertaking.

On the continent, both these features work as well, but you have to go into the setting to tell the car which side of the road you’ll be driving on, so the detection can work.

My question is, how does this work on the Toyota? Does it operate the same? Thanks in advance

I'm a previous VAG driver and know exactly what you are talking about.  

This doesn't happen with my 19 plate Corolla, it's totally different.  However, unsure if the latest model has changed it.

• Thanks 1

Tried today,  as I caught up a slower moving vehicle I indicated left to take a slip.  The car did not accelerate. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Tried today,  as I caught up a slower moving vehicle I indicated left to take a slip.  The car did not accelerate. 

I’m wondering if there is something in the settings to change it? So for the continent you would set it for driving on the right hand side of the road, therefore when you signal left it does accelerate, and vice versa?

Mark, none that I know of.  The only change I made was the kph an ltr/100 kms.

Thinking about it though, there you are, lane 1, ACC on and behind a slow mover.  You signal right as you approach an exit and the car accelerates into the slip, which on the continent can be quite fast bends.

7 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Mark, none that I know of.  The only change I made was the kph an ltr/100 kms.

Thinking about it though, there you are, lane 1, ACC on and behind a slow mover.  You signal right as you approach an exit and the car accelerates into the slip, which on the continent can be quite fast bends.

Could be quite fun 🤣

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links