Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering wheel clock squib

mds33

Toyota IQ2 horn not working. I’m told I need to replace the steering wheel clock squib.

has anyone had similar issue?

Where can I source clock squib as local supplier has quote £700+ +vat

What's a clock squib and what does it do?

8 minutes ago, glimp said:

What's a clock squib and what does it do?

It's a device to allow electrical connections to turn with the steering wheel. A typical clock spring may contain a long, coiled, flat flexible cable, shaped like the mainspring of a clock

• Thanks 1

Removed

Edited by mds33
Repeat info

38 minutes ago, mds33 said:

Toyota IQ2 horn not working. I’m told I need to replace the steering wheel clock squib.

has anyone had similar issue?

Where can I source clock squib as local supplier has quote £700+ +vat

From Wiki ...The coiled up 'spring' is contained in a plastic housing. When it fails, most likely all the electrical functions carried on the steering wheel will stop operating- That is the check a mechanic would use to identify the clock spring failure. In other words if the horn fails to work there could be many possible causes to investigate; but if at the same time the cruise control or other steering wheel mounted items do not work one can expect to find the clock spring is at fault.

Have you check the horn has voltage,its behind the front bumper on the right hand side.,the horn in the left hand side of the engine compartement is for the alarm buzzer only.If its the clock its an easy change,sterring wheel off,1 hours work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All wiring fuse and relay have been checked

4 minutes ago, Jikky said:

From Wiki ...The coiled up 'spring' is contained in a plastic housing. When it fails, most likely all the electrical functions carried on the steering wheel will stop operating- That is the check a mechanic would use to identify the clock spring failure. In other words if the horn fails to work there could be many possible causes to investigate; but if at the same time the cruise control or other steering wheel mounted items do not work one can expect to find the clock spring is at fault.

Have you check the horn has voltage,its behind the front bumper on the right hand side.,the horn in the left hand side of the engine compartement is for the alarm buzzer only.If its the clock its an easy change,sterring wheel off,1 hours work

All wiring, the fuse, relay and the horn itself has been checked and OK.m by a very competent mechanic.

He and I am amazed to be quoted £700+ +vat to supply 😱

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, mds33 said:

All wiring, the fuse, relay and the horn itself has been checked and OK.m by a very competent mechanic.

He and I am amazed to be quoted £700+ +vat to supply 😱

Thats crazy money,I changed the left hand stalk a few years back,the steering wheel and squib had to come off,,,back on ,it took 1 hour from start to finish,somebodys making a big profit!!!

• Like 1

it sounds like they have quoted you for an airbag

I would go over the wiring, fuse, and relay again

you can do a simple test by shorting the horn pin to ground on the plug under the steering wheel

(Pin 8 ) whats usually black

1458217824_mk3spiralpinout(Small).thumb.png.a4f71e5eb6cce365237039057db2751d.png

if the horn sounds it's the spiral cable if it does not it is likely the integration relay (826411-74010) or the horn itself

you can have the best mechanic, but they may not understand or have access to enough data to be aware of the nuances of a particular car - this is where the owner's forums come in

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links