Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Used Corolla Hybrid advice

CartwrightJ

Hello,

I would be grateful for some guidance / advice.

I'm considering purchasing a used 2021 Corolla Hybrid. I've never owned a Toyota or a hydrid so I am a little nervous!

I have young kids. The car would be used for short local trips to school etc along with some occasional commuting on the motorway ( approx 30 mile trip).

From my research so far, it seems the Corolla has good reliability which is one of the key things I'm after.

My other half is tempted to go full electric. I just think the hybrid would give us more flexibility and less range anxiety!

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, 

Corolla is probably the best car in its class just because of the hybrid system that has. It’s very reliable, efficient and easy to drive. It does feel like an electric car but uses little petrol that is available anywhere and no need to recharge. 
Tip on Corolla purchase is to go for 1.8 variant and the higher trim levels. Avoid panoramic roofs or 2.0 versions unless these two are must have options. 
Check brakes if they are rusty and  request replacement as part of the sale or reduce the asking price. Higher trim levels are better equipped , design , gr sport or excel, the last one is the best of all. Hatchbacks are tight on space especially rear leg room. 
Overall a very good car and better than any ev imo. Evs are on decline and does not worth as private buy using your own money. 

I’ve owned 3 Toyota hybrids now, they’re great cars - Yaris, auris & Corolla. 

I don’t think there are nearly enough public chargers yet, so went for another hybrid rather than an EV. Maybe in 5 years time an EV might work. 

the Corolla gets fantastic mpg figures and is very reliable. 

the 1.8 has plenty of performance and you can pick them up at good prices.

One of the dealers near me has two 2023 pre facelift pre-reg cars for £22k and they have only a few hundred miles. there are good deals about. 

• Like 1

I went from Corolla to Yaris Cross.   My grandson went from 6 foot to 6 foot 6.  His sister is now taller than my wife and almost 5-10.

Both prefer the Yaris.  It offers more headroom and higher seating position.  Loading up with the mass of school kit, sports kit, expedition kit is a tight squeeze but offers about the same space as the Corolla. 

Packing holiday luggage for 4, in either car, would be problematic. 

• Like 1

I’ve owned 6 Corollas, they are reliable and efficient, I’d recommend you got fit the touring sports to give significant extra room, the boot is 3 times bigger than the hatchback and not leg room in the back seats, over length of the car is only a foot different

• Like 2

I have a 2.0 estate. It's been a very useful purchase. Decent on fuel, I'm averaging over 50 in the 2 years I've had it, and so far it's been plenty big enough for us.

• Like 3

Thanks very much for all the feedback. I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

If you can charge at home and very rarely drive further than the EV's range, then they're worth looking at, otherwise get the Corolla.

I just got a 23 plate 1.8 design tourer facelift with 140bhp, I also thought about full ev but they cost more unless go for an MG or something older. I am getting around 57mpg on 11 mile run to work and ~50% ev so using half the fuel I used to use. Very happy with the car so far although I had a puncture and I had to buy a spare tyre on eBay as car didn't come with one

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links