Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Minimum to spend on tyres?

Merlin5

21 hours ago, solero said:

Was it out of alignment, in the end?

How many degrees was toe/camber out and what was the maximum allowed tolerance? They normallly gove a printout.

Has it stopped pulling and is your steering wheel now centred whilst driving?

As I drove away I thought, "ah damn, I forgot to ask about how much the alignment was out ". I was only given a receipt for the payment. But yeah, it was presumably out quite a bit but is perfect now, steering wheel centred and the car stays nice and straight.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, APS said:

You made me chuckle! 🤭 He really rather stupidly tee'd that response up for you. 

Great to hear you got the new tyres on! Unless you had very different or very rubbish tyres on before, then you'll unlikely notice any dramatic differences. You will pick up some differences as you drive on various familiar roads and surfaces.

Actually, one of my previous tyres happened to be a Goodyear Efficientgrip, but not the Performance 2 that I have now, so that may account for a similar ride.  Although it was only one of those on the car not a full set. Two other of the tyres were budgets made by Farroad and one made by Fulda I think. 🙂

• Like 2

Tires instalation and balancing cost easily  €70 or more for a set. So, gets the longest wear and comfortable tires we can buy. 

I like Goodyear Eff grip perf. 2, it is not loud but comfortable and rated about 36k miles. 

Winter tires nobody should ever buy. Get all seasons instead that last much longer. 

Michelin crossclimate 2 and Goodyear vector4season 3 has 50k miles rating. 

Those are the tires I recommend for the best value per km usage. Cheap tires wear faster, uncomfortable and cost more per km if we include the same cost of mounting and balancing.

• Like 1

cheapest you can get pal

On 3/21/2024 at 5:45 PM, TonyHSD said:

premium tyres like Goodyear efficient grip performance 2

These are the original tyres on my Yaris Cross.  After 17 000 fronts have 5.5mm and rear 6.0mm.  According to KF table they are about 25% worn.  

After my wife kerbed on at speed KF replaced it at £161.  I found marginally less expensive elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 9:47 AM, Roy124 said:

These are the original tyres on my Yaris Cross.  After 17 000 fronts have 5.5mm and rear 6.0mm.  According to KF table they are about 25% worn.  

After my wife kerbed on at speed KF replaced it at £161.  I found marginally less expensive elsewhere.

typical of the wife lol

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 6:48 PM, Cyker said:

34psi won't do any harm; Under normal use they'd heat up to that sort of pressure pretty quickly anyway. Might mean the ride is a bit harder but unlikely to adversely affect even tyre wear.

This time I disagree with you.  34psi is indeed normal when hot.

After a run yesterday I had 34-35 front and 31 back.  Had I started with 34 on the back it would have been 36.

Very definitely I agree with checking after new tyres have been fitted.  My new rear had been 35 and 37 when I got home.  My imagination,  but the car seemed skittish.

Can you still fill tyres with Nitrogen? Seem to remember being persuaded once that it didn't expand as much so lengthen tyre life.

1 hour ago, fred88 said:

Can you still fill tyres with Nitrogen?

You can but remember that ordinary air is actually 78% nitrogen... and so any perceived benefit to paying for a nitrogen fill is minimal in practice.

• Like 4

My last tyres change was actually “maximum spent on tyres” for me , since I had to replace one of them one more time only 3 weeks later. The garage charged me for nitrogen fill , and some extra and I ended up paying £112 for one tyre. They took me in immediately so no complaints. Otherwise I paid onLy £300 for all 4 new with £70 off offer at ATS. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

This time I disagree with you.  34psi is indeed normal when hot.

After a run yesterday I had 34-35 front and 31 back.  Had I started with 34 on the back it would have been 36.

Very definitely I agree with checking after new tyres have been fitted.  My new rear had been 35 and 37 when I got home.  My imagination,  but the car seemed skittish.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with as what you write after seems in agreement? :confused1: I'm probably misunderstanding as my brain isn't working today :wacko: 

I do find the higher the tyre pressure the smaller the difference between cold and high is though; Makes sense as lower pressures flex more which increases tyre wear and heating which increases pressure; It's partly why I always say it's better to err on the side of higher than lower.

Tyre pressures are very subjective though, with things like tyre width, profile, and vehicle mass all change what's optimal, but generally mid 30's psi is at least 'safe', if not optimal.

1 hour ago, fred88 said:

Can you still fill tyres with Nitrogen? Seem to remember being persuaded once that it didn't expand as much so lengthen tyre life.

You can but as Mooly says it's mostly snake oil unless you're taking the car racing! :laugh: 

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

My last tyres change was actually “maximum spent on tyres” for me , since I had to replace one of them one more time only 3 weeks later. The garage charged me for nitrogen fill , and some extra and I ended up paying £112 for one tyre. They took me in immediately so no complaints. Otherwise I paid onLy £300 for all 4 new with £70 off offer at ATS. 

Yeah it's a bit painful every time I look at tyre prices... to think, the first set of tyres I bought for my Mk1 Yaris were £35 a corner... and that was for Continentals!! :eek: :laugh: 

@Cyker,  35psi might be the hot pressure.  If the cold pressure is 35psi then it will be well over spec when hot.   See what you mean about hot and cold difference varying with pressure.

AFAIK all rated pressures are when cold; It makes sense as it varies wildly when hot - I've watched mine go all over the place thanks to the TPMS sensors :laugh: 

That's why the advised pressures are much lower than the maximum pressure tyres are actually rated for - It's headroom for when the temps (And thus pressures) naturally rise as the car is driven.

(Also, until we had TPMS sensors with real-time monitoring, there was no easy way to know what the tyre pressures were when hot!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links