Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.0 2010 possible oil pressure

jayham

So my yaris has stopped on me whilst driving twice.  Both times the oil symbol has been left flickering.  It's an intermittent problem.  The car will normally lose power slightly before then I lose power stop and I can't start car again.  First time it happened I got towed home couple of days later the car started again.  Happened again today fuel and oil level OK so thinking is it pressure switch.  Where is location of it and how much are they.   Can it be fitted easily. .

Not sure I can post pictures I also have a video of the dash and the light that is flickering 

Model is toyota yaris tr 1.0 5 door 2010

First port of call is do an oil and filter change, if it's dropping oil pressure especially when warm, it has the wrong oil in it, the oil is knackered, or it's been contaminated

• Like 1

Thank you for advice also I've got 5 30 in there is that the right oil

Because it doesn't turn over in this instance does anyone think it might be an electrical problem

It did start  a few days after the last incident

I wonder if it could be oil starvation, causing partial and full seizure?

So would that point to an oil pump problem

Screenshot_20240328_180031_WhatsApp.jpg

1. Have you got the car since new?
2. Is maintenance regular?
3. When was the last oil-filter change?
4. How many miles has the engine done with this oil?

1 hour ago, tsikis007 said:

1. Have you got the car since new? Yes
2. Is maintenance regular? Yes
3. When was the last oil-filter change? Sept last year
4. How many miles has the engine done with this oil? About 7 k

1 hour ago, jayham said:

7K miles for engine oil is to much. 

Oil brand?

It's a budget brand shall I put premium oil in .  It now starts but is a bit lumpy I am going to change the oil filter and sparks

Change the oil and filter and use good brands and oil exact spec as recommended by the book. If still light flickers then find your oil pressures sensor, measure and check if within the specs, if ok put back if not replace with original new.
Oil pressures builds up by the engine spinning and the tight tolerance between moving parts, oil pump does not build pressure, just move the oil around. if engine is worn out oil pressure can dropped and trigger low oil pressure warning light, proper diagnostic here is vital. 

Book says 0 20 oil I've been using 5 30 which is useable but not manufacturer standard

5w30 is fine for a 1kr especially if it's up in the miles 70k+

as you do not know the history pull the spark plugs one at a time and check them, post a pic or 3 - only use Denso plugs

its possibility of a number of minor issues that need addressing

oil pumps rarely fail tbh

edit. looked at the video, car not running and a flashing oil light, that is electrical, go and get the Battery tested and make sure the Battery terminals are tight

• Like 2

I'll take sparks out and send pics batteries are tight but thanks fir advice on electrical 

58 minutes ago, flash22 said:

edit. looked at the video, car not running and a flashing oil light, that is electrical, go and get the battery tested and make sure the battery terminals are tight

I was thinking along the same lines after seeing the video. I've previously faced a similar situation on another vehicle brand with a failing starter motor (all facia/dash lights off when attepting to start), and on my Mk2 where I've forgotten to depress the clutch. It seems like an electrical issue with the flickering oil light.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

as you do not know the history pull the spark plugs one at a time and check them, post a pic or 3 - only use Denso plugs

edit. looked at the video, car not running and a flashing oil light, that is electrical, go and get the battery tested and make sure the battery terminals are tight

Car is,now starting this is intermittent however I will ne calling auto electrician

58 minutes ago, jayham said:

Car is,now starting this is intermittent however I will ne calling auto electrician

I forgot to ask you the oil filter brand. 

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

I have ordered shel helix 0 20 also denso plugs. And also the oil filter is bosch 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links