Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Hybrid MK4 - do you regret buying?

2Blank1

I am looking at a 2020-2022 Yaris hybrid. Looking online I’ve seen 12v Battery to be the most common issue. I only drive it once or twice a week. I don’t fancy having to jump start my car every week. But I really like the Yaris for its tech and safety features. I’m not sure if I’d regret buying one if it poses frequent issues. Anyone regret or faced any other issues with the Yaris hybrid?

I read one comment on the Battery thread about how someone was opening and closing the car boot too much maybe which cause a dead Battery. I am quite ignorant in this area and don’t quite understand what uses the battery or how it charges? Would using more controls in the car use more power from the battery?

No, on the contrary I'm happy.
My previous car, a diesel Renault Captur, also suffered the same problems, but worse.  In fact most newish cars use much more Battery power to keep the electrics on just in case the driver wants to use keyless entry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2Blank1 said:

I am looking at a 2020-2022 Yaris hybrid. Looking online I’ve seen 12v battery to be the most common issue. I only drive it once or twice a week. I don’t fancy having to jump start my car every week. But I really like the Yaris for its tech and safety features. I’m not sure if I’d regret buying one if it poses frequent issues. Anyone regret or faced any other issues with the Yaris hybrid?

I read one comment on the battery thread about how someone was opening and closing the car boot too much maybe which cause a dead battery. I am quite ignorant in this area and don’t quite understand what uses the battery or how it charges? Would using more controls in the car use more power from the battery?

The boot light is on a timer but open then close reopen will re start the count down to off.

You can always just disconnect the light the Yaris cross has its own switch so you can turn it off from what I understand.

You can always just plug the 12 volt Battery into a smart charger have the garage fit an appropiate lead as part of your deal thats one option.

• Like 4

Easy answer, no

• Like 4

I would have bought it again despite the issues I'm having with it 🙂

1 hour ago, 2Blank1 said:

I am quite ignorant in this area and don’t quite understand what uses the battery or how it charges?

It charges when you have your "ignition" on (Ready text displayed). It uses the high voltage Battery to charge the 12v Battery. Mileage doesn't matter, only time. 

It discharges as it powers various systems onboard the car as the high voltage one is used for driving, A/C and charging 12v only. So everything else is powered from 12v. That's why you don't want to use the car (radio, lights, etc) without Ready state as it discharges the Battery which is rather small. 

But there are things that discharge the battery even if you are not doing anything and these are remote control module, keyless entry module and some power taken by standby mode of a car computer. They will use up fully charged 12v battery in around a month, probably less. Experience may vary. So if you drive occasionally and only short periods, the battery will fail you sooner or later 

• Like 4

Why anyone would regret buying the best car in class? 
Battery problem it’s not on each and every car. There are many that had it but not all. If you have a Battery issue just buy a new better quality Battery and you will be alright. Yaris mk4 is really good car 👍

• Like 4

If the whole 12v Battery concept is still hard to understand, you can compare it to a laptop computer.

Ready state in a car equals having AC adapter plugged in. Using a car without the Ready state would be like using this laptop on a Battery. You understand that it will only withstand like 2 hours or something. Not using a car would be similar to having a laptop in sleep mode. It's ready to use but it uses up the Battery

So if you don't charge the laptop and leave it sleeping, it will discharge eventually. Charging it only for 10 minutes would not be enough to leave it on sleep for another week. 

Maybe oversimplified example but that's something everyone might be familiar with. 

• Like 5

I do not regret buying a MK4 Yaris

If you buy a non Hybrid car you can still have 12 volt problems if it used only on short runs or just one or twice a week on short trips.

• Like 3

Absolutely not. Loving mine to bits.

I'm a very low mileage user and might only use it once a week at most, sometimes not even that.

Got mine plugged into a trickle charger but I've been doing that for all my vehicles for the last few years as they all suffer from lack of use. So this is nothing unique 

Turning off keyless entry reduces Battery usage and improves security 

• Like 6

No regrets at all with our Scarlet Flare Yaris Excel.

lovely to drive and no Battery issues at all 

• Like 5

Absolutely no regrets at all. I changed from a gorgeous GT86 back in 2014 (boo-hoo.. 😢) to our 1st Yaris Hybrid and was as impressed with that then as I am with my 4th one now and this new Mk4 with the 5th generation power plant (130) is an absolute gem so far... (see my other thread here...)

• Like 5

Maybe better off having an aygo, Aygo cross than a hybrid. 

I changed from a very reliable MK3 Yaris. I do miss that car but I don't regret going for the MK4 at all. So many cool features.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’d love one as a second vehicle if I could justify the expense.  I really enjoyed that little car and although the front bumper, roof lining, back seat and dash would be out the first week, I do enjoy those little projects.  

IMG_4346.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Maybe better off having an aygo, Aygo cross than a hybrid. 

Argo, maybe - our son has one which I drive occasionally 
Argo X - not my cup of tea. I’ve driven a couple, but didn’t enjoy them at all.
Yaris Hybrid - most definitely. Brilliant cars. More efficient  than the Aygo.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I’d love one as a second vehicle if I could justify the expense.  I really enjoyed that little car and although the front bumper, roof lining, back seat and dash would be out the first week, I do enjoy those little projects.  

IMG_4346.jpeg

You're as bad as me Don! lol! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

the front bumper, roof lining, back seat and dash would be out the first week, I do enjoy those little projects.  

IMG_4346.jpeg

• And what position did you finish in the rally?,
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Primus1 said:

the front bumper, roof lining, back seat and dash would be out the first week, I do enjoy those little projects.  

IMG_4346.jpeg

• And what position did you finish in the rally?,

Haha, I did put them back!!!

• Haha 3

I don't regret getting my MK4 Yaris. The problem of Battery discharge while parked is not unique to this model, Toyotas or hybrids. The underlying cause is that all but the most basic modern cars consume electricity while standing: keyless entry, alarm systems and 4G data connection (used to communicate with apps) all drain power from the Battery. When Covid came I had a diesel Fiesta that had to be jump-started twice because the Battery went flat. On both occasions it had been standing less than a fortnight. The Yaris is more economical and has more comfort and safety features than the Fiesta, which I like.

• Like 4

Mine's great, probably joint 1st place with my Mk1 Yaris D4D!

There are lots of stupid little niggly things with it, but they are mostly things that don't really matter.

The handling improvements over the previous models show just how much effort Toyota put into the TNGA platform, and it drives less like the normal roly-poly Yaris fashion and more like a Fiesta, which is traditionally my benchmark for good handling in this class of car. The hybrid powertrain improvements are also worthy of praise - The fast pedal response and strong pull have made it a lot more fun to push. The fact that I can hoon it about and still get 70+mpg still amazes me when I get to empty, as does the fact I'm doing over 400 miles on 26-28L of fuel!

Even my Tesla-owning friend is a bit jealous because I'm currently well in the lead of our informal cost-per mile competition :laugh: 

• Like 4

I do regret buying my 2022 Yaris Cross even though the 12 volt Battery is unlikely ever to be a problem because "Even Beagell" fitted Battery leads so I can plug in to a Ctek 5 charger every time I put the car in my garage without having to lift the bonnet or rear seat cushion. Charging adds about 30 seconds to getting the car out.

The Yaris Cross is comfortable, well made, very economical, quite nippy round town and providing I get it serviced every year will no doubt be totally reliable like my previous 3 Yaris's and 2 Aygos.

While I enjoyed 20 years of toyota reliability, I also had motorbikes or a VX Blydenstein Caterham which provided a bit of excitement Now I am 70 another caterham or motorbike isn't really an option. 

My problem is that I don't find the Yaris Cross fun to drive. It just does everything I "need" and nothing more.

14 minutes ago, Chas G said:

While I enjoyed 20 years of toyota reliability, I also had motorbikes or a VX Blydenstein Caterham which provided a bit of excitement Now I am 70 another caterham or motorbike isn't really an option.

It seems that you and I are similar Chas (I'm fast approaching 75!) in that I've driven a lot of high powered rally and track machinery in my murky past...

14 minutes ago, Chas G said:

My problem is that I don't find the Yaris Cross fun to drive. It just does everything I "need" and nothing more.

However, unlike you, I still find the Mk4 Yaris (to use @Cyker's vernacular) a bit of a hoot to drive and love watching the faces of other driver's in much higher powered cars when I leave them for dead at the traffic light grand prix (up to 30 at least anyway...) with the help of the combined ICE and max torque of MG2. I can just see it on their faces as they subsequently pass me with a quizzical look... "that's a hybrid?!" 😁 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fully respect your comments Chas as I don’t enjoy driving as much nowadays.  However, I’m not looking for a fun car as I’m rapidly approaching 70 and reliability, economy, safety and comfort are the most important features that attract me.  Last time I had fun in a car was a long time ago at Disneyworld.  Anyway, hope you are successful in finding an alternative to your Yaris Cross.

Cheers

• Like 3

If Chas wants a fun car maybe go for the GR Yaris. The YC is a sensible man/person's car. Though the hatchback Yaris MK4 is fun to drive in country lanes, fiesta level handling, where as the gen3 wasn't good. 

• Like 5

@Mojo1010 I tried a yaris hybrid but since retiring I wouldnt be described as lissom.

62e7dbf2df1e0.thumb.jpg.7f6f02f9844217861d0b2d283d0c7f46.jpg

• Haha 6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links