Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.33 1NR-FE Was oil usage issue fixed by Toyota after 2013 ?

NottsTony

Was going to post about the engine but StevieJ's covered all the bases! :thumbsup:

I haven't heard of any engine issues with the 1.5 version on here, and as it's essentially an evolved version of the 1NR and not a new 1st generation engine, Toyota probably worked all the major bugs out of it.

Will be a safer bet than the 1.33.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Just a few pictures of the interior of the second facelift (67 plate - 20 plate) 1.5 Icon Tech, showing the updated dashboard and instrument cluster over the earlier (up to 17 plate) Yaris. This has Cruise control, and Toyota Safety Sense plus other additions over the earlier cars. (It is my mother's car btw and comes in at a lower insurance group than my 2014 1.33 Icon does.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005150.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005219.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005411.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005433.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005453.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005517.jpg

This car look really good. 
Shame Toyota’s doesn’t offer Yaris in petrol manual option anymore. 

• Like 3

They do, just not here - I think you can get a manual version of the Mk4 in Ireland, but otherwise it's only available in a few other countries.

I assume it's because of fleet CO2, so they're being forced to only sell the hybrids in most Euro-zone markets.

Definitely go for the 1.5 Yaris over a 1.33 Yaris, I've had both and found the 1.33 rather gutless for anything other then a short run to the shops, am back in a 1.5 Yaris again and will be keeping it long term can't go wrong with them real good little cars.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Just a few pictures of the interior of the second facelift (67 plate - 20 plate) 1.5 Icon Tech, showing the updated dashboard and instrument cluster over the earlier (up to 17 plate) Yaris. This has Cruise control, and Toyota Safety Sense plus other additions over the earlier cars. (It is my mother's car btw and comes in at a lower insurance group than my 2014 1.33 Icon does.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005150.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005219.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005411.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005433.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005453.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005517.jpg

Looks lot like my Y20 2020 Yaris 1.5 which is also in Black but mine has a Black not grey dash plus tinted glass to the rear both look smart in Black 👍

• Like 2

I wish I had kept my 1.5 petrol Y20. Just service it, fill it up with fuel and when I barely used it for months it started first time every time. Perfect for an oap who does less than 3000 miles a year although I do like the extra space in the Yaris Cross and the convenience of the seamless gearbox.

20231103_102540.thumb.jpg.b6123306ffecb99371a9a9022cf73a41.jpg

20231103_102529.thumb.jpg.4c4fa02ea000e5c6eaee69807571d200.jpg

20231103_102707.thumb.jpg.d19e9efab78e5bff263a76c259376229.jpg20231103_102514.thumb.jpg.7013767ca36d3cad1d92f594effdd346.jpg20231103_102606.thumb.jpg.d650a1417223de11b221ce1b5952e091.jpg

20231103_102523.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Definitely go for the 1.5 Yaris over a 1.33 Yaris, I've had both and found the 1.33 rather gutless for anything other then a short run to the shops, am back in a 1.5 Yaris again and will be keeping it long term can't go wrong with them real good little cars.

The 1.33 is a bit lacking in the lower RPM range when you put your foot down in a high gear (especially 6th) so change downs are usually necessary if you want a quick overtake. I usually go from 5th to 3rd and floor it, and once past the 2500 RPM point it will get pretty pokey and surprisingly rapid, but you do need to thrash the engine right up to the red line for fastest response, which I dont do that often as most people dont really buy a Yaris to be a sports car. It is there if you need it and are prepared to give the engine the boot to the highest RPM's, but yeah, for sedate driving, the 1.33 is OK and will easily return 55 - 60mpg if driven economically and using 6th whenever possible. For my mother, she cant tell any difference in her 1.5 to the 1.33 she had before and I cant even tell when her car is running the "Atkinson cycle" it is smooth and seamless. 

Eddie, she didnt really have a preference for a black Yaris, its just that it came up at a nearby dealer in Stafford when she needed to get a newer Yaris, had less than 9000 miles on the clock and was a reasonable price and spec. She didnt want a hybrid nor an auto, so she was limited really to Yaris's made before 2020, after which non hybrid Yaris was no longer sold in England, and she didnt therefore want a Mk4. Black is nice but shows the dirt easily and quickly gets smear marks all over it which dont look good when the sun shines on it. I think it looks quite smart when its clean, and I cant find any fault with the way the 1.5 engine it has drives. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevie J said:

The 1.33 is a bit lacking in the lower RPM range when you put your foot down in a high gear (especially 6th) so change downs are usually necessary if you want a quick overtake. I usually go from 5th to 3rd and floor it, and once past the 2500 RPM point it will get pretty pokey and surprisingly rapid, but you do need to thrash the engine right up to the red line for fastest response, which I dont do that often as most people dont really buy a Yaris to be a sports car. It is there if you need it and are prepared to give the engine the boot to the highest RPM's, but yeah, for sedate driving, the 1.33 is OK and will easily return 55 - 60mpg if driven economically and using 6th whenever possible. For my mother, she cant tell any difference in her 1.5 to the 1.33 she had before and I cant even tell when her car is running the "Atkinson cycle" it is smooth and seamless. 

Eddie, she didnt really have a preference for a black Yaris, its just that it came up at a nearby dealer in Stafford when she needed to get a newer Yaris, had less than 9000 miles on the clock and was a reasonable price and spec. She didnt want a hybrid nor an auto, so she was limited really to Yaris's made before 2020, after which non hybrid Yaris was no longer sold in England, and she didnt therefore want a Mk4. Black is nice but shows the dirt easily and quickly gets smear marks all over it which dont look good when the sun shines on it. I think it looks quite smart when its clean, and I cant find any fault with the way the 1.5 engine it has drives. 

The 1.5 is just the better all round engine for me driving it fast or slow or up big hills, it never lacks at anything without have to rev it hard, your right about the Black nearly wash and wax it as much as i drive it 😂 just well like keeping my cars looking topper.

Edited by Eddie G
spelling
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone for all your comments and advice - I am very grateful for the time and effort you have given to answering my question.!

As a result, I am now convinced that a Yaris 2017-on 1.5 manual is the way forward!

I will now set about trying to find a good low mileage model....which looking at MotorTrader shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The 'Tech' model seems a good idea, especially for my fashion-conscious 20yo daughter! (She absolutely hates my Camry by the way - wants to know why I don't buy something 'better' like a Range Rover - Little does she know.....Ha!!)

Thanks again - hopefully I can return the help some day

Tony

• Like 4

Thats great Tony, I hope you can find her a nice second facelift model (67 plate to 20 plate). They do some nice 2 tone paint versions that look pretty trendy, such is one like Chas's above which younger people might like better than a model with single colour paint. Something like the Icon Tech would be great too, as cruise control would make a very useful feature for journeys up the motorway - just set it to 65MPH and leave it do the work - helps with fuel economy too. I would think you would find a nice example for under £9000 and they really do make nice cars. I'm on my third Yaris now, I've had a Mk1, a Mk2 and now a Mk3, and every one of them has been very reliable, bar one or two little niggles which you get on any car really, but in all 13 years I have owned Yaris's I have never once had to call the AA out to them. As long as you get a low mileage one (under 50K miles) and make sure you service it and look after it, you should get years of reliable motoring from it. The engines in these cars all use timing chains rather than belts, so as long as the oil gets changed every 6K - 10K miles without fail, you should never need to worry about the timing chain.

With regards to older Toyotas, my late father's last car before he had to give up driving was a 2001 Corolla, which he had from 2004 right up until 2018,  and while most people didnt like it as it was an "old man's car", he swore by it as the most reliable car he ever had, and started our family's love affair with Toyotas. My Yaris's were all owned by my mother before I had them, and she is now on her 4th Yaris - apart from the odd issue like a Battery failure and blown exhaust which can affect any car, none of them have let us down. Also, recently, the Mk3 Yaris won the crown for the most reliable used car, so you just cant get a better choice for your daughter.

The most reliable used cars in 2024: Do you own one of the top ten? | This is Money

Toyota Triumphs in 2024 Warrantywise Reliability Index

Screenshot 2024-04-15 165646.jpg

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links