Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Viewing tomorrow (Maybe)

152bobby

33 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

Quite obviously not....just one of the factors that would affect reliability...with age and mileage things wear out and need replacing ?  There is more chance that an older car would break down , compared to a newer model ?

Well Bob, I have a 21 year old Yaris that has never broken down once since it was manufactured.

Unless you count the Battery going kaput while I was in hospital, and could not do anything about it.

I often pass cars being attended by breakdown services,new and nearly new included, so your logic is not infallible.

I have no problem with anyone who wants and buys a new car, I bought one myself a long time ago for a specific purpose.

Sorry you get so confused about things , perhaps it's not knowing the difference between a question and a statement.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 4/24/2024 at 1:34 PM, Bob66 said:

Money to burn huh...I negotiate the price of the car (tastefully) ,press the buttons on their coffee machine myself, pick up car myself ,would never ever tip a salesman., could tell you the price of every car, I've ever owned!   This brightens up my life no end  !  

Jobs a good un !

Next you will be telling us you don't give a tip, at Christmas, to the paperboy, milkman, postal services operative or dustmen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As regards tips, I make sure that my household staff are paid above the minimum wage, and always get extra walnuts and oranges at Christmas 🎄.

• Haha 10
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I often pass cars being attended by breakdown services,new and nearly new included, so your logic is not infallible.

Oh I'm definitely not infallible...even to the point of questioning my own statements...to ask the opinions of others ??

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chas G said:

Next you will be telling us you don't give a tip, at Christmas, to the paperboy, milkman, postal services operative or dustmen.

You'll have money to burn...with a 21-year-old car ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chas G said:

What's that got to do with buying a car...or to do with you ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

As regards tips, I make sure that my household staff are paid above the minimum wage, and always get extra walnuts and oranges at Christmas 🎄.

Paul,you actually give your staff walnuts and oranges I never realised just how rich you really are. My staff get many holidays a year, they don't actually go on any I just tell them about mine.:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

You'll have money to burn...with a 21-year-old car ?

No Bob, it's me with the 21 year old car, not Chas.

Bob, if you are genuinely confused, then I apologise, but your habit of popping a confused emoji on so many straightforward posts is annoying if you are not actually confused, but just trying to wind up.

Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinions,as indeed are you.

Luckily we have a great forum here where most are not looking for an argument, including me.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I absolutely love and respect the folk who buy new cars and sell them on 2 or 3 years later with fairly low mileage. They enable me to buy them at a fraction of the cost of a new one 🙂 . But joking aside, I got over my desire for new cars after 30 odd years of driving company cars that were replaced every 2 or 3 years (but with pretty high mileages on them). That included two Toyotas - the experience of which resulted in my buying that brand when I went self-employed. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Bper said:

Paul,you actually give your staff walnuts and oranges I never realised just how rich you really are. My staff get many holidays a year, they don't actually go on any I just tell them about mine.:laugh:

Bob, I treat the staff very well,of course, but they can't be trusted with the spirits,so a tantalus with a decorative padlock takes care of that.

Likewise with the tea, the lockable tea caddy in mahogany on the credenza foils most attempts at theft.

I must stop leaving the keys in the secret drawer in my buraeu however, I think they are onto me.

• Haha 7

This has gone way off topic and I'm getting too many notifications, so I'm going to unfollow this and leave you to it 😂👍

• Haha 5

I disabled all notifications a looong time ago for that reason :laugh: 

This has led to people wondering if I'm ignoring them when they send me a PM that I don't see for 2 years though... :whistling1:

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I disabled all notifications a looong time ago for that reason :laugh: 

This has led to people wondering if I'm ignoring them when they send me a PM that I don't see for 2 years though... :whistling1:

Cyker, you should be pleased that people want to PM you. The last person that contacted me was Moses and he kept banging on about a problem with his tablets. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Bob66 said:

I agree depreciation is a fact, as the car isn't new any more, and you don't know its history...but I love a new car. 🙂

So do I and I agree you can sometimes do better with new than nearly new.  I’ve also see nearly new cars with horrendous damage turn up on a forecourt.  Running new means you get the latest spec and you do elevate yourself back to higher residual value.  No MOTs often no tyres or exhaust or other wearables for a few years.  Cyker Scrooge thinks he’s going to live until he’s 110 but Khaaaan will already be planning his next tax on anything with even a hybrid engine so he’ll have to cough up eventually.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Cyker Scrooge thinks he’s going to live until he’s 110 but Khaaaan will already be planning his next tax on anything with even a hybrid engine so he’ll have to cough up eventually.

So it's that "death and taxes" thing again.

• Like 2

That's the irony of the whole thing - The ULEZ is supposed to reduce emissions, but by making people buy new cars unnecessarily it's overall done the opposite, and a lot of people have jumped to brand new cars, which are even worse for the environment, to try and avoid getting caught out when the goal posts get moved again, like all us poor saps who got tricked into buying 'clean diesel' "for the environment".

Still, my Mk4 will hopefully fend him off for a bit longer - They'll have to get through all the remaining non-hybrid diesel and petrol folk first! :fear: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

That's the irony of the whole thing - The ULEZ is supposed to reduce emissions, but by making people buy new cars unnecessarily it's overall done the opposite, and a lot of people have jumped to brand new cars, which are even worse for the environment, to try and avoid getting caught out when the goal posts get moved again, like all us poor saps who got tricked into buying 'clean diesel' "for the environment".

Still, my Mk4 will hopefully fend him off for a bit longer - They'll have to get through all the remaining non-hybrid diesel and petrol folk first! :fear: 

I know it’ll get stuck in your craw but I fully endorse ULEZ and getting shut of polluting vehicles.  It’s time they nationalised it and did away with manual gearboxes.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Neptuneblue said:

Wholeheartedly agree with @anchorman re ULEZ. And just to stoke the fires a little: it isn’t Khaaanns ULEZ it’s Borrrrrriiiissss ULEZ 😉

https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/news/the-truth-about-londons-ultra-low-emission-zone/

I rather liked Boris.  Not so keen on blue or red at the moment, I think we’re right up wotsit creek without a paddle.  I’ve never considered myself a treehugger but I do think we’ve ripped into the planet’s resources a bit too much from the industrial age right up to now so we should try to moderate our actions for future generations.  That was quite profound for me…. On your bike Greta.  

• Like 2

@Cyker Mk1 d4d. Absolutely brilliant car with fuel consumption to match a hybrid.

• Like 4

I do miss mine - It was a lot cheaper than the Mk4!! :laugh: 

On 4/26/2024 at 12:09 AM, anchorman said:

I know it’ll get stuck in your craw but I fully endorse ULEZ and getting shut of polluting vehicles.  It’s time they nationalised it and did away with manual gearboxes.  

I don't because it isn't - The air quality hasn't really changed as the majority polluter has been diesel busses for many years now, and they are by far the most prevalent 'stinky diesel' vehicle in London now. We know this from that time the busses went on strike here - Records show London's air quality was the best it's ever been during that period.

I find it extremely hypocritical they and diesel black cabs weren't the first to be abolished and are still running and have been since the original ULEZ - Very much a case of do as I say not as I do.

As I've said before, the ULEZ isn't about reducing pollution - It's a cash grab against those least able to avoid it, using the cynical line that it's for the environment and the children etc. to try and give it the moral high ground.

19 hours ago, Neptuneblue said:

Wholeheartedly agree with @anchorman re ULEZ. And just to stoke the fires a little: it isn’t Khaaanns ULEZ it’s Borrrrrriiiissss ULEZ 😉

https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/news/the-truth-about-londons-ultra-low-emission-zone/

This is fairly well known, and the majority of London drivers supported it as it made sense - What is pure KHAAAAAAN! is the surprise and poorly publicised expansion to the A406 and the I-categorically-promise-I-have-no-plans-to-expand-it-to-the-M25 expansion to the M25.

These were not supported by the majority of London drivers.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

I don't because it isn't - The air quality hasn't really changed as the majority polluter has been diesel busses for many years now, and they are by far the most prevalent 'stinky diesel' vehicle in London now. We know this from that time the busses went on strike here - Records show London's air quality was the best it's ever been during that period.

I find it extremely hypocritical they and diesel black cabs weren't the first to be abolished and are still running and have been since the original ULEZ - Very much a case of do as I say not as I do.

As I've said before, the ULEZ isn't about reducing pollution - It's a cash grab against those least able to avoid it, using the cynical line that it's for the environment and the children etc. to try and give it the moral high ground.

This is fairly well known, and the majority of London drivers supported it as it made sense - What is pure KHAAAAAAN! is the surprise and poorly publicised expansion to the A406 and the I-categorically-promise-I-have-no-plans-to-expand-it-to-the-M25 expansion to the M25.

Well that’s two people in the whole world that doesn’t believe in climate change, you and Trump.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/25/2024 at 5:17 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

your habit of popping a confused emoji on so many straightforward posts is annoying

Sorry, but there isn't a BS emoji, so I reckon the nearest is the confused emoji .  🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Has the air quality improved in London?

There has been a 99 per cent reduction in the number of hours when NO2 concentrations exceeded the UK's hourly limit since 2016 – dropping from 4,130 hours in 2016, to just 22 hours in 2023. London's air quality is now on track to meet UK legal limits by next year – 184 years earlier than previously projected. ..9 Mar 2024
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

Well that’s two people in the whole world that doesn’t believe in climate change, you and Trump.

That's a rather disingenuous stretch, there's no need to try and put words in my mouth just because I hold a different view to you; It's perfectly fine for disagreement - I'm just talking about the effect the ULEZ has had on the air quality in London, i.e. minimal. IIRC this is even backed up by KHAAAN's own commissioned studies, which he disavowed because it didn't fit with his agenda...

2 hours ago, Bob66 said:
Has the air quality improved in London?

As someone who actually lives and works here, I can honestly say if anything the areas I traverse regularly are actually worse since things like ULEZ and LTNs have come into force.

This is not surprising since traffic is being forced along fewer roads, concentrating it.

I'm sure the places they put monitoring stations to show improvement, well away from these areas, measure an improvement, until they want to implement another scheme, then they'll measure it at these higher concentration areas.

It's too easy for them to manipulate the figures, and after he rejected his own survey's findings because they didn't reflect what he wanted them to, I find it difficult to trust later released figures that suddenly do...

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links