Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris vs Honda Jazz

ninanina

On 5/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yaris wins over Prius in regards to seat height position and accessibility. It is better than Prius and Corolla models which are ultra low. Also head room in Yaris is better than these two. Perhaps the Honda jazz will be better than Yaris but if this is of any concern then a Yaris cross might be added to the list. I know it’s not anyone’s cup of tea but this little car offers more interior space than Corolla hatchback, larger boot while remains so slightly larger than Yaris sister. If me I will consider this model too and give a test drive. Plus the cross has higher clearance and chunkier wheels tyres , something so useful in uk as the road network these days looks more like an Afghan roads through the mountains rather than civilised world motorway. 

I hadn’t thought about the Yaris Cross but it looks very interesting 🤔 

Does the Cross drive like the standard version ie. is it quite fun to drive?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ninanina said:

I hadn’t thought about the Yaris Cross but it looks very interesting 🤔 

Does the Cross drive like the standard version ie. is it quite fun to drive?

Perhaps as good as Yaris or even better. I am not the person who can answer your question but I am sure people who had both will share their opinion. I see so many of both Yaris in and around London. 👌🚙

Super thanks for your reply Tony much appreciated 

• Like 1

After I had the test drive in the Honda Jazz I chatted to the dealer about ‘wiggle room’ on the price and they said there is some so I asked if they could email me with their best price.   They said they would after I left the showroom.  I’m still waiting for that email

I phoned on Saturday to chase them and I am still waiting and as they are closed on Sunday it’s going to be at least Monday before I hear from them

I’m pretty certain that my lovely friendly local Toyota dealer wouldn’t even let me leave the dealership without giving me their best offer; I’d still, of course, negotiate even that offer

I feel really let down by the Honda dealer.  If I don’t hear from them by Tuesday I simply won’t deal with them as it doesn’t bode well for after sales service 

Also there was a lot of confusion about the Honda extended warranty and service plans and this was from a sales guy who has been working there for quite a while 

With Toyota on the other hand it’s so simple to understand……..”This is how much a service plan will be which includes breakdown cover (and MOT’s if required) and your warranty is 10 years”… end of 

The Jazz may well be a nice car but I’m pretty put off at the moment which is why I’m pursuing the Yaris/Cross a bit more 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ninanina said:

Super thanks for your reply Tony much appreciated 

You are welcome. 
I think personally Toyota make the best hybrids from all others and they have best warranty terms plus they are most reliable and simple to work on after warranty period. Honda and Mazda have good cars too with probably slightly plusher interiors but they are nowhere near Toyota hybrid system technology. You can try both Yaris and see how you like them. Corolla also a good car. See Steven Eagell dealers if there are any around, they seems to be a good ones. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

Use a broker like carwow to get discount. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Use a broker like carwow to get discount. 

I’ve tried Carwow and What Car and it saves about £2k on each car and one of the quotes was indeed from my local dealer 

• Like 2

Has anyone driven both the Yaris and the Cross and what were your thoughts 

31 minutes ago, ninanina said:

Has anyone driven both the Yaris and the Cross and what were your thoughts 

yep my wife has the cross 23 model and I have the normal yaris 24. Its sort of how you would think the cross drives more like an SUV and the yaris like a small fun car. A few things I notice the most are when closing the doors the cross makes a much better THUD sound where as the yaris is more a TWANG noise (daft I know) so the cross just makes it sound more solid. They both pull just aswell when you hit the pedal hard to accelerate and the driving position is much more upright in the cross but throwing it around corners just does not feel as to the ground and sticky as much as the yaris. 

• Like 3

The doors on the Mk4 are comedically tinny :laugh: 

I just keep telling myself it's weight-savings... people pay 10s of thousands extra on super cars for this sort of weight saving and we get it as standard...! :fear:  :laugh: 

To be fair they did a good job on the Mk4 - Somehow, despite it being bulkier and stiffer with even bigger A, B and C pillars that practically block out the sun, it's somehow lighter than the Mk3! :confused1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I just keep telling myself it's weight-savings... people pay 10s of thousands extra on super cars for this sort of weight saving and we get it as standard...! :fear:  :laugh: 

To be fair they did a good job on the Mk4 - Somehow, despite it being bulkier and stiffer, it's somehow lighter than the Mk3! :confused1:

Curves make it strong.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

To be fair they did a good job on the Mk4 - Somehow, despite it being bulkier and stiffer with even bigger A, B and C pillars that practically block out the sun, it's somehow lighter than the Mk3! :confused1:

That’s a shame they are so tinny 

The Jazz was not tinny at all and the doors shut with a nice thud.  I even checked to see if the metal on the doors flexed when pressing lightly and it didn’t 

• Like 1

The Mark 4 Honda Jazz has a MAJOR  fault which occurs after a period of 2-3 years .The Brake Simulator modules fails: no brakes, A replacement costs over £2k.

Honda have recalled cars in Japan , not in UK and attempt to deny it is a manufacturing fault .  But it is..  Owners are not happy.

Do not buy : is my advice,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

The Mark 4 Honda Jazz has a MAJOR  fault which occurs after a period of 2-3 years .The Brake Simulator modules fails: no brakes, A replacement costs over £2k.

Honda have recalled cars in Japan , not in UK and attempt to deny it is a manufacturing fault .  But it is..  Owners are not happy.

Do not buy : is my advice,

Yes I’ve been reading about this fault and a few other issues with the Mk4 Jazz which is why I am swinging back to Toyota 

My local Toyota dealer has treated me so well over the many years I’ve been going there whereas I have no experience of the local Honda dealer 

I think it’s going to be a Yaris or Cross 

• Like 2

Further to reliability are there any known faults with the Yaris/Cross?

Also if I purchased a year old version of either is there that much difference to buying a brand new one?

Sorry for all the questions 

• Like 1

Some models 2021 have damper clutch issues, replacing usually under warranty but wilting times and inconvenience. Some cars have 12v Battery problems if not used regularly. New better quarterback Battery fix the issues. 
Other than that they are reliable as modern cars can be. 
Of you have money for a year old car better place an order for a latest and greatest as these comes with some improvements and if you buy via carwow or similar broker you can activate a cheaper deal and better buy new than old. Also there is no high demand for new cars anymore and we will be about to see more and more new car discounts. Delivery does not take too long either, few weeks to about two months max and this will also improve. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Some models 2021 have damper clutch issues, replacing usually under warranty but wilting times and inconvenience. Some cars have 12v battery problems if not used regularly. New better quarterback battery fix the issues. 
Other than that they are reliable as modern cars can be. 
Of you have money for a year old car better place an order for a latest and greatest as these comes with some improvements and if you buy via carwow or similar broker you can activate a cheaper deal and better buy new than old. Also there is no high demand for new cars anymore and we will be about to see more and more new car discounts. Delivery does not take too long either, few weeks to about two months max and this will also improve. 

Thanks again Tony much appreciated 

That is a very small list (2!) of issues 

The Jazz has the following issues that are known about:

Brake failure…. that’s a huge problem as Honda UK have not recalled them, ac condenser leaks, folding mirror motors failing and seat bases splitting 

The worst thing is these failures are happening on cars no older than a few years and at very low mileage 

I owned my previous Prius 9 years with 140,000 miles and all I had done was an ac condenser, which Toyota UK approved to replace at half price, a couple of drop links and an exhaust.   All of these I consider to be age and wear & tear items on a 17 year old car 

The Honda dealer where I had a test drive of the Jazz with still hasn’t been in contact me

That same dealer confirmed that new car sales are slow at the moment and they are selling more used cars 

• Like 3

Can anyone tell me how good the heating and air conditioning is in the Yaris/Cross?

That's insane, I didn't know the Jazz had such a major issue! :eek:  Known brake failure?? How have the DVSLAIDKWTFBBQA not issued a compulsory recall yet??

It's crazy Honda are trying to ignore it like that, but I guess I've been spoilt by Toyota and keep forgetting most manufacturers don't step up to sort out issues like they do...

Like for the damper issue, they have a repair campaign up for 10 years so even if it happens to someone out of warranty they will still repair it free of charge within those 10 years.

I would say the AC and heating are decent to good; Not the best I've experienced by a long shot but they work well enough.

The AC is pretty strong, but in winter the heat can take a while depending on your journey type. My problem is I leave my house and am immediately in heavy traffic, so the engine takes forever to get hot enough for any decent heating when it's super cold. The car could definitely have done with heated seats and steering wheel and I'm continually baffled by Toyota UK's aversion to optioning it on the normal Yaris. The Yaris Cross *does* have it though! And also heats up faster due to it being heavier and putting more load on the engine.

re. newer vs older models of the current model, Pros of the newest models are mainly the availability of the 130HP motor, which gives it a lot more pep, and you also get SatNav which the earlier ones didn't.

However, a big plus about the earlier models is they pre-date the new safety regulations, and the irritating overspeed beeping can be permanently disabled, which is something the newest ones require you to do every time you turn the car on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

That's insane, I didn't know the Jazz had such a major issue! :eek:  Known brake failure?? How have the DVSLAIDKWTFBBQA not issued a compulsory recall yet??

It's crazy Honda are trying to ignore it like that, but I guess I've been spoilt by Toyota and keep forgetting most manufacturers don't step up to sort out issues like they do...

Like for the damper issue, they have a repair campaign up for 10 years so even if it happens to someone out of warranty they will still repair it free of charge within those 10 years.

I would say the AC and heating are decent to good; Not the best I've experienced by a long shot but they work well enough.

The AC is pretty strong, but in winter the heat can take a while depending on your journey type. My problem is I leave my house and am immediately in heavy traffic, so the engine takes forever to get hot enough for any decent heating when it's super cold. The car could definitely have done with heated seats and steering wheel and I'm continually baffled by Toyota UK's aversion to optioning it on the normal Yaris. The Yaris Cross *does* have it though! And also heats up faster due to it being heavier and putting more load on the engine.

re. newer vs older models of the current model, Pros of the newest models are mainly the availability of the 130HP motor, which gives it a lot more pep, and you also get SatNav which the earlier ones didn't.

However, a big plus about the earlier models is they pre-date the new safety regulations, and the irritating overspeed beeping can be permanently disabled, which is something the newest ones require you to do every time you turn the car on.

I have no idea why the Jazz hasn’t been recalled for such a major issue but apparently in Japan they have been recalled 

I think you are right Cyker about Toyota spoiling us by generally doing the right thing 

Am I correct in saying that the 130hp engine is only available in Premiere trim?

When you say “older model” do you mean just not a 2024 version?  Would a 2023 Yaris model not have sat nav etc?

Thanks everyone for your help it’s really appreciated 

• Like 1

The 130HP is on the Yaris Premiere and GR Sport specs; Not sure about which Yaris Cross specs get it. Possibly the same, but may be more as its extra bulk would benefit from that extra oomph!

To my knowledge, all the Mk4s with the old '2-knob' headunit didn't get Satnav, which I believe is 2022 and older (My '21 definitely is satnav-less!) but I think the 2023 ones did get the new headunit that came with Satnav? Others I'm sure will chime in to clarify!

Is it worth going for the 130hp version and does that affect the MPG much?

To reply to an earlier Q regarding YC's climate control....yes, it copes very well. A previous car (Mk3 Yaris) would really struggle to keep the cabin temperature at, say, 21C on a very hot day but the YC has - so far - managed to keep us cool enough for outside temperatures reaching > 30C (34C when we were in the EU last June)

Young Bev the 130 bhp engine is also available in the GR sport trim but hard ride in this model this engine is not quite as economical as normal engine . Glad your local Toyota dealer was lovely like mine any sign of coffee and hob nob or fig biscuit ?

The 9" hd infotainment screen on the used model of excel/gr sport has cloud sat nav for 3 years I believe, then it's subscription. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links