Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New news on RAV4 Thefts

Nick72

Just saw this one... May or may not be useful but just in case...

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/24311088.toyota-rav4-cars-stolen-sussex-neighbourhoods/

Some past threads on this forum and the CANbus attack. I understand there's a potential fix for effectively covering or armouring access places to the bus. 

Alternatively, just get a good steering lock.

Someone may want to post the latest position on which years and models this effects. I don't think it effects the PHEV but someone will clarify. And even if it doesn't the thieves may not know or care and mess your car up in the process. Steering lock, visible deterrent.

Last thing anyone wants is their car robbed.

This is old new news, I think - it merely restates information from the Toyota magazine article in March as discussed in:

Back then the security enhancements would be available "in a matter of weeks" / end of April ... it's May now!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, philip42h said:

This is old new news, I think - it merely restates information from the Toyota magazine article in March as discussed in:

Back then the security enhancements would be available "in a matter of weeks" / end of April ... it's May now!

Agreed, the Toyota statement is old news. The article suggests or infers a recent spate of thefts in the Sussex/ Hastings region, if anyone here is from that neck of the woods. Hence flagging more for this reason.

The problem is more likely to be with people who buy a RAV that is venerable and do not use forums or have seen the motoring press - they are very unlikely to know about the potential problem unless it gets broadcast in the national media. It appears from previous comments that the required parts are not available in any abundance and Toyota are not treating this as a recall or advisory at services.

• Like 1

The number of car drivers who are active on forums and read car magazines is minuscule. The number of people who read newspapers isn’t much bigger and TV and radio news programmes audiences are a minority. So the chances of every RAV owner hearing about this security problem are slim. 

• Like 1

Car drivers will wake up when they have to renew their car insurance, especially those in London. Insurers such as lv= are refusing to insure RAV4s. 

I contacted Toyota Insurance to see if they would insure my car. They stated that since they are Toyota then yes they would insure these 'high risk vehicles' that other insurers will not. 

However, Toyota Insurance impose the condition of installing a secondary Thatcham category 2 / TASSA approved immobiliser by an installer approved by the device manufacturer and providing an installation certificate. 

Since these are hybrids, one installer said that there is no Thatcham category 2 that will work, due to the electric motor. Ghost 2 pro is TASSA approved, but haven't checked if other insurers approve this.

• Sad 1

Does Toyota insurance have a preferred installer they can recommend? Make/model of immobilizer?

This is a potential problem with the RAV4 and some Lexus NX models.

When I recently bought my Rav4, I took it back in to have the shield fitted.

I assume they did the job as requested, but I don't know what to look for,

and I can't find any pictures on line.

The only problem I see, is that if any Low Life looks at stealing the car using

this method, they do a lot of expensive damage to the car before

they find there is a shield fitted. So a steering wheel lock might

also be a good idea.

4 hours ago, matefromthesea said:

Car drivers will wake up when they have to renew their car insurance, especially those in London. Insurers such as lv= are refusing to insure RAV4s. 

I contacted Toyota Insurance to see if they would insure my car. They stated that since they are Toyota then yes they would insure these 'high risk vehicles' that other insurers will not. 

However, Toyota Insurance impose the condition of installing a secondary Thatcham category 2 / TASSA approved immobiliser by an installer approved by the device manufacturer and providing an installation certificate. 

Since these are hybrids, one installer said that there is no Thatcham category 2 that will work, due to the electric motor. Ghost 2 pro is TASSA approved, but haven't checked if other insurers approve this.

The Battery is effectively irrelevant in a RAV4 HEV because there is no "charge hold" mode like the PHEV and the range on Battery alone is minimal even if EV mode is available. So, it is possible that a CAT2 would work in preventing use of the ICE and therefore the car.
It doesn't matter for a PHEV since they are, we believe, not vulnerable to the CANbus attack.

Still waiting to see what the new security in the Toyota announcement is.

The PHEV UK 2021 are not vulnerable to this type of theft, this was detailed in the bulletin that Toyota published. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matefromthesea said:

Yes Toyota / Lexus hybrids take a different install method but certain Thatcham Cat 1 & Cat 2 devices work perfectly when installed correctly by a competent person. 

If you want the details of an installer that knows what there doing securing Toyota / Lexus hybrids send me a PM. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links