Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slight Damage after Dealer Trade In Valuation

Hicardo

Hi Folks, 

I'm swapping my Yaris Cross for an Aygo X this summer.  Need a slightly smaller car.

Agreed the cost to change 2 months ago, and have been happily driving my Yaris Cross in the meantime until it's traded in when the new car arrives.  

A week or two ago,, I brushed a hedge and was startled by a loud clang from the side, just put it down to a thick twig sticking out.  Car was dirty and didn't notice any damage until it was cleaned yesterday, when ive noticed a tiny dent and a scuff maybe about four inches long on rear door and onto trim of rear wheel arch.

I think I can make it look better with a bit of t-cut wax and buffing, but there is a slight dent less than size of fingernail and quite shallow.  And a scratch on plastic wheel arch trim.  

Question is: I'm inclined to give dealer a call and tell them, just in case it changes the valuation? Agree with this course of action? 

Cheers!

Do you have a local 'dent man'? A good one would probably be able to make the damage virtually invisible for not much money. 

When I used to work for a company who leased a fleet of vans we would get a dent repairer in to give each vehicle a once over before it went back at the end of the lease. He charged a fraction of the price the leasing company would have charged us if we'd sent one of their vehicles back damaged. 

Rich, I had a tiny dent on my passenger door.  The best way to describe it was someone tapping the door lightly with a hole muffled punch.  Just a very small depress and paint undamaged.  You would not notice it until pointed out.

It took the dentologist about 20 minutes and that included setting up a lamp to show the damage and repair. 

He removed a bung in the door, inserted a metal rod and like a water diviner fiddled around for a few minutes.

How he could feel the depression I have no idea.

Agree with the Yossarain247.

If the damage isn't fixed then yes you'd be wise to declare it to the dealer otherwise when you go to tradein, they may well turn around and say it's £400 worth of damage!  Local dent magician / paintless dent removal should be able to make it disappear for around £60-£90.

Hi Rich, as @yossarian247 has said above use a mobile dent repairer, you can bet if you leave it the dealer will look over the car when you come trade it in and reduce the trade in price. It isn't expensive and they can make it look as good as new.Hope this helps.:smile:

11 hours ago, Hicardo said:

I'm swapping my Yaris Cross for an Aygo X

Please post your impressions of the X after purchase. I have been considering whether to opt for one myself, but there are mixed opinions on them. At the moment the cons seem to outweigh the pros.😎

Peter, other's opinions are subjective and wholly dependent on what you need from the car.

The Aygo is simply too small for our needs.  The Corolla was not ideal either and we prefer the Yaris Cross by a mile.

Many years ago I did a distant learning course and one exercise was selection of a car from 5.

First we had to divide the criteria into essential and desirable.  We were given facts about each and facts that the buyer required.

One essential criterion was to carry his golf clubs.  We were able to eliminate 2 cars immediately.  Of the 3 remaining only two met the other essential criteria. 

From the 2 remaining we had to list the desirable criteria and prioritise these.

While the conclusion was entirely objective a real buyer would probably reject French over German and Chinese over Japanese.

It's clear that some people write to Andrew English in the Telegraph to get his ideas from a few essential criteria.  They then just need to sift the desirable ones.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Peter, other's opinions are subjective and wholly dependent on what you need from the car.

Yes, but other owners opinions/impressions can't be a bad thing. Others on here post their opinions/reviews of a car they own or have just bought. So why shouldn't Rich do the same?

e.g. I like my car's C.V.T. but others hate that transmission. Some say the Aygo X rear doors don't open far enough which depends on what, if any, are going to use the rear seats. Some comment on the paper thin steel of the body Shell. I don't like 18/17" wheels, I would prefer, say 15/16" wheels with a larger profile tyre. I like it's higher driving position and allegedly comfy seats etc..

• Like 1

Peter, not saying that at all, just saying that you need to know about things that would make it a suitable car.  To exaggerate: can it do regular motorway journeys and carry two large dogs!

Thanks for the comments guys.  

I'll contact a dent mobile repairer as suggested.  TBH in my area I don't know any, and haven't used any, but I can ask around.  Last time I had a similar situation (about 8 years ago), I contacted Dent Rewind Tunbridge Wells and they wanted if memory serves about 400 quid for a repair but that was paint and dent.  I got a local village bodyshop guy to do an invisible (to my eyes) repair, and it was about 140 quid.  So prices can vary enormously in my limited experience.  I will see if the same guy is still around as a first port of call, and see what he thinks.  

As the car is only 2 years old, I had thought best to swallow the hit (perhaps) with the Toyota dealer, as they'll want to make it perfect for the forecourt, I'm guessing, so had thought of doing nothing, just leaving them to it.  

Re review of the Aygo X CVT.  Yes absolutely I will do that, if thats useful.  As someone said, people buy cars for their own reasons, and there's not a one size fits all.  I'm downsizing to an Aygo X, for 2 main reasons, firstly ours will have a large sunroof which we've been missing, and secondly my wife finds the smaller size more manageable.  We have another slightly larger car, so it all seems to make sense (to us).  Another benefit is that I will be paying A LOT less monthly, and cheaper insurance.  Fuel will be slightly more expensive than the Hybrid Yaris Cross, but I'm expecting on our typical mileages, for it to  be no more than 5 quid a week more for fuel, probably less.  

Any other thoughts on the dent / scuff - let's hear them!  Appreciate the help.

Cheers! 😀

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

To exaggerate: can it do regular motorway journeys and carry two large dogs!

It's a "city car", not many M'ways there. I get what you are saying though. Intended use and limitations need considering.

Like the old question, "Can you fit four elephants in a Classic Mini?"

Answer, yes, two in the front and two in the back.😎

20 minutes ago, Hicardo said:

Re review of the Aygo X CVT.  Yes absolutely I will do that, if thats useful.

Please do. I note C.V.T.. From what I have read and heard, and there's no substitute for a proper test drive, the C.V.T. used is not that good and not in the same league as that used in the Petrol Yaris. The manual version is apparently good in spite of only 5 forward gears. However, it isn't intended to be a M'way cruiser.

Sorry, I've gone off subject. This is the Yaris section.🙄

Peter, now you mention it, full automatic is an essential feature for us.  I was converted 20 years ago driving a Focus manual down the A12 during what may have been rush hour and my left leg was in agony.

I've driven the auto Aygo X and it's absolutely fine.  My wife ONLY drives automatics, so no choice for us! For us, auto with sunroof is the way to go. 

Salesman here, dent guy should do you fine, probably what the dealer would do anyway.

Side note, don’t know how dealers elsewhere try to hit part exchanges excessively, customers are too clever for that. 

Pop over to the Aygo and Aygo X section of the forum.  You'll find loads of feedback and pros and cons on the Aygo X, including my feedback on why I changed it within 2 years of being brand new to a Yaris Cross.  In short,  for me, it was just too small, too slow, passengers in the back is a joke and if a leaf lands on the car it will make a dent.  I did extensive pre purchase research on this car and thought it was for me.  But after driving 4x4 Toyota and Lexus SUVs for over 30 years solid I knew it was a gamble.

However, as a small car and downsizing, as long as you do your research, it's a lovely looking car.

thanks for the advice folks, just trying to book in now with the mobile dent guy 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links