Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Turbo

Big Hav

Hi, First i would just like to introduce myself.

My name is matt and for the past 2 years i have been driving around in a nissan primera that was my dads. As i am pushing 19 and i am on my dads insurance policy with full no claims i think it's time to treat myself to something a bit more exciting.

I have had look round some cars such as Ibiza gti's but after looking through the autotrader i have seen a few starlet turbos which seemed to have caught my eye.

Basically i have a few questions.

1. What is insurance like on these cars? anyone have ideas on insurance groups? some say 9 some say 10 is this correct?

2. Are these cars easy to fix when they go wrong? Are parts readily available?

3.How fast are they? Do they handle well?

4. I would like a decent example with low mileage, how much is it likely to cost?

5.Anyone know of any websites dedicated to the car?

Sorry for the spanish inquesition, but i am a newbie and know nothing of this car.

Much appreciated.

Hi mate

Hasnt anyone told you that its bye bye starlet and hello yaris baby! yeah

No I havent heard of the starlet turbo sorry dude.

Good luck

Not meaning to stomp on your bonfire mate but have you checked out insurance on these cars before you get over excited?

If your just pushing 19 and not had an insurance policy in your own name yet the insurance companies are going to crucify you :( - I'd go as far as to say that you would be very very lucky if you found and insurance company that would even quote you for any GTI or Turbo'ed car.

When I was 19 I had a years no claims, pass plus and 2 years insurance held in my own name with no accidents, claims or convictions, the cheapest quote I found on my Yaris GS 1.0L was a little over £1000 - baring in mind that this car is a group 3 car - you are definatly going to be struggling even if the Starlett Turbo is group 9 or 10 (I personally think it's more but not sure on that one).

There was a Starlet Turbo advertised on here not too long ago if I remember rightly - look through the private sales section and PM the member with your questions.

Steve.

0-60 6.9secs.

130mph

135bhp

860kgs(ep82 model)

ins.grp. 10

www.toyotaownersclub.com

Very quick and reliable car with good handling(better once suspension is sorted)

Look to pay between £2500-£4000 for a clean one, but i DEFINATLY think you will struggle with insurance!? :(

But, if you,ve set your heart on one and don't mind paying a big ins. premium, then go to the Autotrader website, and you'll find about a dozen or so on there.

Hi mate

Good luck

I think you'd be very surprised when you hear about how good the Starlet GT turbo is!

Welcome to the club Big Hav, there's a number of people on the forum who have these cars and I'm sure they'll tell you all you need to know, but do look in the performance section there's already a lot of info in there :D

1. What is insurance like on these cars? anyone have ideas on insurance groups? some say 9 some say 10 is this correct?

I'm not sure what group they’re in but last year I paid over £1000, I was 25 then and had 3 years no claims.

2. Are these cars easy to fix when they go wrong? Are parts readily available?

It depends what goes wrong, all cars can be a pain in the @rse. Most parts are easily available although I had to wait 6 weeks for a wing mirror from Toyota.

3.How fast are they? Do they handle well?

0-60 = 6.9 seconds, 1/4 mile = 15.2 seconds, top speed 127mph, newer Glanzas are heavier and slower. They don’t handle that bad but there’s definitely room for improvement, it needs lowering and firmer springs fitted.

4. I would like a decent example with low mileage, how much is it likely to cost?

I couldn’t really tell you, I've seen them going at £2500 up to £9000. I paid £4500 for mine, a 93 Starlet turbo, completely standard and with 53000kms on the clock.

5.Anyone know of any websites dedicated to the car?

The best site is http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/. :D

You can always tell when its the school holidays. :(

Well, i 've seen a lot of Starlet GTs and Starlet Glanza Vs here, and I can tell you that they are some bad ***** cars!

I don't intend to get one coz the basic shape is that of a starlet and i concider starlets as women's cars.

However i am getting its engine for my sprinter. :)

And yeah, insurance are gona crucify u, like they will to me.

(i am still not 18, so as soon as i do turn 18 and get my lisence, i will be having the highest cost of insurance, since turbo, and youngest age group).

I really don't think insurance will be a prob.

Theres a guy on here who pays £1700 tpft and he is 17. Cheap considering my mate pays £1400 on a ford KA!

I pay £800 on a nissan primera which is group 9.

A rover 216 coupe which is insurance group 13 would cost £1200.

Do you think that because it is an import my premium will be hiked up drastically?

Yep import insurance tends to be more, i own the newer EP-91 Glanza V model and i'm well happy with it. As every one has said look on toyotaownersclub for more info.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Starlet Gt Turbo. Its a **** load of pace for the money. My mate was 19 with two years no claims when he got his and paid about £900 fully comp thanks to Keith Michaels, the best insurance compnay ever. He's about to finish his T3 conversion which will push him to about 200bhp. The suspension is sorted too, Eibach springs and KYB shocks so its corners completely flat. Its little 1.3 litre engine means low tax too. The EP82 is a cracker, the engine built with usual Jap quality and can take a thrashing, as long as you look after it well and treat it to oil changes etc, and replacing the diddy little ct9 turbo is pretty simple really. Lots of people don't tell the insurance company when they do this, of course I'm not saying this is the correct thing to do at all, just that it is done......

Parts a little expensive. The EP82's (which only way 100kg's more than an original mini [think power:weight ratio]) are all imports. Some theiving ***** smashed the rear window and lifted the parcel shelf. Toyota quaoted £170 for the window and £115!?!?!?!?!?!?!? for a parcel shelf. However, there is a shining light in Ireland, starlets are quite common over there so he has had one shipped over. All in, its a fun little car that every now and again gives things like Boxster S's a bit of a scare...

Hope you find one, and don't forget it'll never be a Corolla Gt-i 16, the best car in the world!

-RIDDLES-

Riddles where did your mate get his work done for the T3 conversion? I'm after a manifold....

Simon

• 1 month later...

The Starlet is a superb little car ive owned my 1992 EP-82 for over 3yrs with no problem's(apart from 2 accident's and being broken into) never broken down and i drive it like its stolen:).

Like previously mentioned the worst thing can be getting part's.

insurance group ive seen range from 10-15.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links