Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Double Power

vmail

I need a 2nd Battery in the Yaris, this Battery will only be used for the Amp and the ITX PC which will be on 24/7

I understand that I need the 2 batteries to be connected by a 4AWG cable

will a 80A fuse be enough or will I need a 120A fuse?

the 2nd Battery will be in the boot, whats the best way to stop the battery from moving arround?

will I need to upgrade the alternator?

the 2nd battery will only be connected to the main battery when the ignition is on

2.jpg

just one thing, if the main battery is flat, the 2nd battery will not beable to start the car

KEY

Wheel = Alternator

Dish = ITX PC

Switch = ING Switch

20Ohm resistor is only in the software and wont be used

on the cable from the front of the car to the rear of the car (Battery to battery) you need a fuse at each end. this is if one blows it doesnt leave a live cable running along the car which is dangerous. they will both go pop and be totally isolated.

80 amps at each end will be fine as its only carrying charge current

best way to stop it moving is to make a false floor with a 'mounting box' and store the Battery in there. thatll keep it safe.

also you need a ventalation pipe from the Battery in the boot and out of the car as believe it or not but the give off some pretty nasty gases

ideally upgrade the alternator yes as youll have ample charge then

also you MUST use identical batterys with exactly the same amount of capacity or the voltage regulator on the alternator wiont know whats going on

yes you can start the car with the second battery by using jump leads!

i did it many a time when repairing mine and the actual one went dead!

also i succeeded in mounting two batterys in the front end! but you have to move the airfilter (if its an 'NZ' angine) and build a custom battery mounting tray

Hmmmmm Truely fascinating.

Try Evo stick and pedal power I say.

so rob are you saying it better ot have both batteries connected 24/7?

3.jpg

umm no

the batterys are only connected when the ignition is on, which you have already stated

the +ve terminals of the batterys are wired in parallel but disconnected by a relay when the igntion is off. when the igniton is on you need to use that to switch the relay to connect the batterys together

basically

engine off - batterys isolated

engine on - batterys connected and charging

this means you can have the engine off and flatten the second Battery but you can still crack the car up on the orignal one!

magic!

hows about a split charger for caravans, as mate has plumbed 3 batterys into his boot with a split charger so once front battery is full other gets charged

thats a good idea

i basically used a large relay to do the trick

Phoenix gold do a proper 'intelligent' split charger that can work on charging different capacity batterys aswell but its about £200

:thumbsup:

is there a hole in the boot for the toxic gasses?

will any car relay do?

Nadim the one jim quoted makes more sense and thats correct

in the boot floor there two rubber bungs under the spare wheel i ran some airline hose out of one of them to the top of the Battery. the air rushing under the car will the cause a vacuum to pull any gas out the car

simple really

a tad of advice, buy the *carf Max Power Haynes Manual on ICE. its excellent and very informative and exp[lains everything on split charging

Ummm... I'm not sure of this is wholly relevant, but there's a good looking article in the current issue of "Custom PC" about how to fit a PC to your car, some of ehich touches on reliable power sources from a vehicle.

As I say, not totally relevant, but it might be interesting and useful to someone round here...

A

where is it?

Sitting through in Ian's office :blink:

No seriously, their website is http://www.custompc.co.uk but I was reading the printy-outy version which should be available for larger newsagents.

I should take this chance to point out that I only read it whan I have nothing better to read ;)

Hope this helps,

A

hows about a split charger for caravans, as mate has plumbed 3 batterys into his boot with a split charger so once front battery is full other gets charged

...how about a caravan. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links