Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Head Unit In Avensis

skuk21

Hey guys.

Hope you are all well. I am new to this forum and to toyotas! I bought a 2001 X reg avensis, 1.8gx, with sat nav and cd player. I'm not very happy with the CD player as its so basic!

Is there anyway of changing the head unit to a aftermarket one?

ANy help will be much appriciated.

Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

I Drive a 99' T plate Avensis SE, I've got a MP3 player installed in mine.

Are you thinking of fitting it yourself or just asking if it can be done?

If anyone can tell us how it can be fitted - keeping SATNAV - please let us know.

I believe the pre-VVTi models were fitted with a standard sized audio unit (Sony?)? Unfortunately, the later VVTi's are fitted with a hi-fi that is 'moulded' to the dashboard. Whilst it is probably easy enough to get or fabricate a moulding to be able to replace the unit with one of a standard size the problem is that the tuner is used for the traffic avoidance system and you would also lose sat-nav as this is also part of the 'in-built' hi-fi.

It really depends on what the current stereo is, and what the facia is like. If it's all integrated into the central display, then it's gonna get tricky, with GPS and stuff. Otherwise, if it's just a simple head unit, then it should be simple.

I've just replaced mine after advice from the forums:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25019

It was really easy, just remove the centre facia (easy on mine, see above) unscrew the existing one, and in goes the new one.

You may need a cable to join the Car cables to the Head Unit cables, but that's pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Tony

It really depends on what the current stereo is, and what the facia is like.  If it's all integrated into the central display, then it's gonna get tricky, with GPS and stuff.  Otherwise, if it's just a simple head unit, then it should be simple.

I've just replaced mine after advice from the forums:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25019

It was really easy, just remove the centre facia (easy on mine, see above) unscrew the existing one, and in goes the new one. 

You may need a cable to join the Car cables to the Head Unit cables, but that's pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Tony

NOT GONNA BE SIMPLE!

I have never come across a moulding for a post 2001 avensis. NOT MADE.

A competant auto electrician will probably be able to wire an aftermarket stereo to the dash and Speakers etc. But it will a) look a mess b)lose both sat nav and steering wheel controls!

Your choice but keep looking.

P.s. what "extra features" are you wanting anyway? Cant a cd changer (with a toyota interface) do the trick?

ok i got the head unit out - it was really easy. you just gotta take the cigar holder out and pull the fasia from the bottom and it all unclips.

the back looks complicated - wires from sat nav to cd. are there any adapters that can be used to keep functionality of sat nav and change cd unit?

cd changeers are a pain. i prefer a mp3 player!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links