Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Pad Fitting

riko666

Aight, got my cheap-***** set of brake pads from eBay, and now i need to fit em and just wanted to ask y'all how (this is ofcourse for a 2nd gen paseo with abs).

also, whats the proper way to bed them in??

Instructions I wrote for the Sera, should be the same for Paseo/Starlet.

Changing brake pads is a simple DIY job that most people will be perfectly able to tackle.

PARTS & TOOLS REQUIRED:

jack (in Sera toolkit)

Wheel brace (in Sera toolkit)

12mm spanner (in Sera toolkit) or socket

G-Clamp

Screwdriver (in Sera toolkit)

File

Brake Pads (I can supply)

Copperslip or alloy paste (I can supply in small sachets)

PROCEDURE:

With the car on a level surface, with handbrake engaged, loosen wheel nuts

jack car up

Remove wheel

On the inner side of the brake caliper is two 12mm bolts - undo and remove. One is a long bolt, other is a short bolt.

Remove caliper from hub, brake pads now visible.

Remove old brake pads - note positions of spring clips.

Check brake discs for wear. If OK, file of wear ridge along outer edge with a file - repeat for front and back of disc as well.

Remove backing plates and springs from old pads, clean and transfer to new pads. Use something like copper-slip or alloy paste on the back of the pad and backing plates

Push piston in the caliper back in to allow for the increased thickness of new pads - use G-Clamp and an old brake pad to spread the load.

Fit new pads into their frame.

Refit caliper, tighten up 12mm brake bolts, refit wheels, lower car, final tighten wheel nuts (tighten wheel nuts in turn - firstly 1 then its immediate opposite.)

After doing both sides, take car for test drive. The brakes will require a couple of pumps before the piston touches the pad. Allow pads to bed in - do not brake heavily early on, if avoidable.

I would certainly recommend you jack your car up with a proper trolley jack. the ones you get in the tool kits are okay to change your wheel but i wouldn't recommend for undoing a bolt thats in excess of 80Nm.

bedding in, don't brake hard for about 200 or so miles,

yeah 200miles is what i gave mine.

Me and Sera_Beelte sorted mine out. Andrew as always is spot on if you need any help just ask!

Matt

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links