Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Is It "cool" To Drive With Fog Lights?

Braindead

i often cut words down but not to the extent that i remove almost every vowel and use slang at every opportunity

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigT

• GT4 BOOSTER

• midmotorsteve

• Kelvyn

isnt it just lazyness ????

Back to the fogs......Theres some annoying people around the walsall area who i have noticed driving at 11pm or so with their front fogs on but only sidelights! (usually coloured sidelights aswell) This seems to be the new trick for looking cool at mcdonalds so i tried it but it was !Removed! dangerous, i couldnt see a thing!

i said i have only ever had to use fog lights once and that was because the fog was so thick i could barely see two feet infront of me

i said i have only ever had to use fog lights once and that was because the fog was so thick i could barely see two feet infront of me

That wasnt so hard now was it ?????? :rolleyes:

In that case, you used them for the right purpose! :thumbsup:

drives as per sig.  :lol:  :lol:  see and be seen . only joking. :P  i have no rear fogs its japanese. :ffs:

:eek: So how do you get an MoT certificate with no rear fogs????

Fogs arent required to pass MoT!!!

They are at the rear!!! In fact I think you'll find its a legal requirement. If you import a car you need to fit rear fogs before it goes for SVA test otherwise it wont pass.

Our fogs are only used if its very foggy or as its been said be on a very empty road in the countryside so you can actually see the sides of the road/bends in front of you (you'd see what I mean if you had to drive down the windy roads to my dads house!)

I dont think I have ever used mine! I mainly see 206 drivers with them on. It does look nice having an extra set of lights, cause its different, but its damn annoying! Why o why.

Dont delete post, i said nice not cool. :)

Slight change of topic, ever seen people drive without any of their lights on :eek: i nearly ran into one as i didnt see it coming pass me, or even more annoying people drive with high beams on....

kelvyn , i have a bolt on fog light for the mot matey . :thumbsup:

and yes they are a legal requirement both for the sva and uk mot tests.

weird.... does anyone actualy know the highway code????

Main beam headlights get lost in fog as they illuminate at a height of 2.5 - 3 feet, fog lamps however point downwards illuminating the actual road surface ahead therefore enabling a driver to see where they are going in the fog.

with this in mind, some people use front foglights without foggy conditions and are simply illuminating the road ahead, and are not blinding drivers. whereas the number of ****ers with ice white main headlights who often blind me are tossers and these are the ones who need to be flogged, or tied up or whatever else has been mentioned in a silly fashion.

I drive with front foggies on as i suffer from poor night vision and it assists my ability to see the road directly ahead, they do not aim directly into the path of vision of other motorists, thtrefore i am within the highway code - which states that you must drive with enough illumination to see the road ahead. So this means that someone with excellent eyesight and night vision can legaly drive with dipped beam.

So - remember - you are susposed to drive your car with enough illumination to see, if this means blinding others with ice white bulbs - your not cool, just turn on your front fogs which should always be directed at the road surface directly ahead, up to approx 4 car lengths.

Main beam headlights get lost in fog as they illuminate at a height of 2.5 - 3 feet, fog lamps however point downwards illuminating the actual road surface ahead therefore enabling a driver to see where they are going in the fog.

with this in mind, some people use front foglights without foggy conditions and are simply illuminating the road ahead, and are not blinding drivers. whereas the number of ****ers with ice white main headlights who often blind me are tossers and these are the ones who need to be flogged, or tied up or whatever else has been mentioned in a silly fashion.

I drive with front foggies on as i suffer from poor night vision and it assists my ability to see the road directly ahead, they do not aim directly into the path of vision of other motorists, thtrefore i am within the highway code - which states that you must drive with enough illumination to see the road ahead. So this means that someone with excellent eyesight and night vision can legaly drive with dipped beam.

So - remember - you are susposed to drive your car with enough illumination to see,  if this means blinding others with ice white bulbs - your not cool, just turn on your front fogs which should always be directed at the road surface directly ahead, up  to approx 4 car lengths.

absolutely agree :thumbsup:

As I said my fogs light the imediate road infront so in the pitch black country lanes i can see the ditches at the side of the road, I don't blind people.

The real 'problem' is HID lights, misaligned dip beam and the complete fools that drive with full beam on dual carrageways & motorways.

Maybe it should occur to people it isn't always people trying to 'look cool' they may just be trying to see the road ahead with out using full beam when approaching you or coming up behind.

If in a town centre then yes, they may as well be flogged tho :D

is this about the front or rear fogs? or just fogs in general? i like usin my front fogs, "cool" green lights the road up in a weird way, but i only do it when roads are empty.

Fogs dont bother me at all. Those bright headlights on fancy expensive cars, now they ARE dazzling!

personally I dont find fog lights that bright in general.

I also use them for night driving as I too have poor night vision, something which wearing glasses doesnt really help with.

With some of the to$$ers let loose on our roads, there are far worse things to worry about.

If anyone flashes me when I have them on I just frantically wave as if I know the person LOL. Seriously though I use them for a reason, it might have been 'cool' when i was oooo 17 years old but now Im an old !Removed! with crap eyesight <_<

I just wish the Police would take a zero tolerance approach and just sit at traffic lights handing out spot fines to all cars that drive past with their fogs on.

As for headlights, I was in Halfords a while back for a new bulb and overheard a c :censor: ck in a suit asking the assistant if the bulbs (headlight that is) he was buying were the brightest they had! I very nearly called him something, but would have been thrown out of the shop I think.

So - remember - you are susposed to drive your car with enough illumination to see,  if this means blinding others with ice white bulbs - your not cool, just turn on your front fogs which should always be directed at the road surface directly ahead, up  to approx 4 car lengths.

Here's what the highway code says

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users

use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.

Law RVLR reg 27

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

And just to be contravertial I disagree with those of you who say you need them out in the dark country lanes. If you cant see enough of the road and verges with your headlights on then you are siimply driving too fast.

Have you ever noticed that rally drivers dont use fog lights when driving at night. They do have driving lights, spot lamps that come on only when main beam is on, that way they can see the road layout ahead of them.

I too am quite old, wear glasses and have poor night vision, but I cant remember the last time I used front fog lights (and no its not because I'm senile) :lol:

I dont see many old drivers with fogs on I must admit.

Then again Im increasingly finding that if another car is up my *****, or driving fast or irratically, they are tending to be older, male drivers for some reason. Im 27 and I drive pretty slow most of the time, yet Im seeing men around the 50's age bracket driving REALLY incosiderately.

Im not saying that all older males drive like pr*cks. Just the ones Ive encountered <_<

To me, thats far more anoying than fogs :rolleyes:

Oh and if you were to ask me which I find brighter, fogs or those new bright headlights, it would be the headlights everytime. How do you people who get dazzled by the less bright fog lights cope with these?

BTW I rarely use my fogs but there are times when its dark and badly lit that I will switch them on. This is usually if I finish work on a late shift when my eyes are very tired. Saying that, at these times there is barely a car on the road.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links