Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Is It "cool" To Drive With Fog Lights?

Braindead

fitted my new bulbs today, can't say what they are like yet. :D

As far as people driving with main beam, I have seen loads over the years, I'd say I have at least one ***** do it a week going north on the A34 so i have to either go very fast past them or flip my mirror up, unlit motorways and duel carriageways seem to bring them out.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigT

• GT4 BOOSTER

• midmotorsteve

• Kelvyn

fitted my new bulbs today, can't say what they are like yet. :D

As far as people driving with main beam, I have seen loads over the years, I'd say I have at least one ***** do it a week going north on the A34 so i have to either go very fast past them or flip my mirror up, unlit motorways and duel carriageways seem to bring them out.

I fitted mine today and just drove home with them on. They are visibly brighter and look nice and white rather than the yellow look of the old ones. Quite please with them.

ok, put it this way, when i have £900 spare, (yeah right, im a student!! :o ) Im gonna get the projector front lights and Full HID kits (main and dipped) then lets see who complains that they're getting blinded, but its OK they're road legal, and i wont have my fog/driving lights on!

In Halfords.

Only on the xenon Super Brilliance ones though. It didnt include the Laser Blue ones but to be honest, those ones are a bit naff anyway.

front fogs are deemed driving lights

Have to disagree with you there.

Driving lights MUST be able to come on ONLY when main beam is on, you can have a switch in the circuit or you can wire them so that they come on every time you hit main beam. They are supposed to be adjusted the same as main beam (direction/height).

Fog lights on the other hand MUST be switched independantly of dip/main beam. They should be adjusted as per dipped headlights and there has to be a warning light to show that they are on (not needed for driving lights as your main beam warning light covers this).

Of course there's nothing stopping you wiring your fogs into main beam and calling them driving lights, the only real difference is that fogs have a dispersing beam pattern while driving lights have a concentrated beam (spot lights).

As far as I can see this would be a good solution for those who say you need them in the dark country lanes. You would have the long range visibility provided by main beam and extra near visibility provided by your driving (fog) lights.

I do agree that on many cars its not the fog lights that blind you, but if the law says they shouldn't be on then thats that as I see it, its only the same as driving over the speed limit I think. If you get pulled you were breaking a law. Generally laws are there for the general good, OK some of them seem stupid but I'm sure thay seemed a good idea when they were made.

who the hell drives around with main beam on ? in 20 years of driving i have never ever seen 1 person with main beam on whilst driving, only on deserted country lanes thats it.and front fogs are deemed driving lights and dont even blind you - such drama queens  :lol:

umm....where have you been driving cos i can safely say that nearly ALL drivers have experienced this in urban areas.

my front fogs come on with side lights only and arnt that bright so are they spot or fog lights ?, what are you deeming main beam here , the lights that light up the 200 feet ahead ? if so why would anyone drive in an urban area with those on is beyond me . :eek:

In the last 6 months there has only been one time when I have needed to put the front fogs on. I like the look the front fogs give the car but on my car they never get used.

my front fogs come on with side lights only and arnt that bright so are they spot or fog lights ?, what are you  deeming main beam here , the lights that light up the 200 feet ahead ? if so why would anyone drive in an urban area with those on is beyond me . :eek:

If you can turn them on when you only have sidelights on then they are fog lights.

Main beam or high beam is as you say when the lights light up the road 200 feet ahead. Your guess as to why people drive around in town on main beam is as good as anyones but they certainly do, at least here where I live, morons!!

Round here too I'm seing an increasing number of people driving on sidelights with fog lights on, many with only one of the fogs actually working (they look REALLY cool, NOT).

in the north east its manners to see an oncomming car and switch to dipped main beam once they pass go back to main beam , we only ever use main beam on unlit stretches of roads and windy country lanes ,i have never ever had a car comming at me on main beam around the streets in all my driving life where i live. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links