Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cant Get It Up!

MrWinkey

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

HE HE

The car (1.3SR) seems very sluggish when at low revbs (owt under 3k) and often needs changing down a gear to get up hills.

But get it past 3k before it starts to slow and it flies. The thing is well fast at 4k, and you dont realise you are breaking the spead limit.

The Cinq Sporting we had (have, anyone want one) really pulls up to 4k, but then nothing after that, which is cool for when you go round corners and have to slow but need to pull back out fast.

Is this a problem with the car or is it norm to have a huge power difference between the rev range?

HE HE

The car (1.3SR) seems very sluggish when at low revbs (owt under 3k) and often needs changing down a gear to get up hills.

But get it past 3k before it starts to slow and it flies. The thing is well fast at 4k, and you dont realise you are breaking the spead limit.

The Cinq Sporting we had (have, anyone want one) really pulls up to 4k, but then nothing after that, which is cool for when you go round corners and have to slow but need to pull back out fast.

Is this a problem with the car or is it norm to have a huge power difference between the rev range?

how long have you been driving the car for, as the ecu learns how you like to drive and maps it accordling..

Was a bit worried about your post title :eek:

iv found that have decent pull in all Ks but really starts to pull after 3k

HE HE

how long have you been driving the car for, as the ecu learns how you like to drive and maps it accordling..

Was a bit worried about your post title :eek:

iv found that have decent pull in all Ks but really starts to pull after 3k

I too was wondering weather this post was NWS and with a nick like Mrwinkey :lol::lol:

I read on one of the forums about a "magic number" 3752 (i think) i might be wrong here as i am going by memory.. but doesn't it have something to do with the vvti?.. when it gets to 3572k it kicks in and gives you a little more power at the higher revs?

The ecu does seem to map itself to how you drive it.. drive like a granny you get more economy and less performance, drive it harder and it maps itself into "sports mode" (on a 1.0l :lol:)

I think it was me that made the "Magic Number" remark... :ph34r:

I have arule of thumb that you don't try any sort of "manouver" in a 1.0 Yaris you're at less than 3,250rpm. I guess its similar for the 1.3.

With the diesel its never below 2,200 and not above 3,500 to get the peak torque.

Boy am I sad... :bye:

Alan

Was your Cinq sporting a 8 valve or 16 valve? Cos 8 valvers have alot more torque lower down the rev range than a 16 valve but a 16 valve has more torque higher up the rev range than an 8 valve! :thumbsup:

well it all depends how u drive it really becuz if yur driving slow all yaris engines are vvt-i the vvt-i is meant to saving fuel cost at low rpm the higher the rpm the faster it is and outputing full power. :thumbsup:

mines a 1.0L and doesnt struggle up hills

have you been driving yours uphill with a few people in it? or is it the same when its just one person driving?

The intention of the VVT-i (and other variable valve timing systems for that matter) is to get a more evenly spread torque delivery. "Ordinary" engines can only be designed for one specific torque band, this depends mainly on intake lenght, valve design, primary and secondary exhaust design, and cam design. As the cams are now variable with engine RPM so shifts the torque band making the engine more effective in a wider torque band than an engine with traditional cams.

The valve timing controller is oil pressure driven, so there's no one magic RPM when it starts moving but it is generally around 3500 RPM.

Yves.

someone made me do it :P

Cheers for the replies,

The Cinq is 8 valve, i didnt know there was a 16V.

It seems that the commen consensus is the ECU will map itself to how it is driven and as the guy who had it before us said he likes to cruise very slowly, it probably will just chill. Gem drives ina total nutral mannor. for the ECU to map itself, would i not have to reset it so it can learn over again. (do you reset it it by disconecting the Battery like other cars?)

I would have thought that as the car has a much bigger engine (plus a lot more horsepower per ton) it would have pulled better. Our Cinq would go round the bend at the bottom of our street in 3rd at about 20mph, but the Yaris has to drop to second. I dont understand.

It is all made especially weird by the fact the car is so fast at higher revs and as yet doesnt seem to have stopped pulling at any revs. It seems like it would keep going until it red lines.

Does anyone think anything may be wrong with it?

There is no such thing as a Yaris with anything wrong with it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

^^ What the guys said btw ^^

I'm only here to decorate the place..... :D :D

Angel,

you greatly underestimate yourself, your not here to just to decorate the place, you are here to clean and make tea/coffee as well.

Huh, women, always selling themselves short

Angel,

you greatly underestimate yourself, your not here to just to decorate the place, you are here to clean and make tea/coffee as well.

You're lucky I like you Mr Winkey else I'd have torn into you! :D I am NOT a woman to be messed with!

But since you ask - was that one sugar or two in your coffee? :D And let me put your slippers on for you too - I will be outside polishing and waxing your car if you need me..... :D :D :D

jsut hit 6k in every gear then shift youll get up the hill no probs, and the car will love you for it too :group-cuddles:

Nizan,

seems like that is definately what it needs, i just dont understand why it needs it. It should have loads more power than the Cinq, but seems not too low down.

Angel,

You're lucky I like you Mr Winkey else I'd have torn into you! :D I am NOT a woman to be messed with!

But since you ask - was that one sugar or two in your coffee? :D And let me put your slippers on for you too - I will be outside polishing and waxing your car if you need me..... :D :D :D

I have just PM'ed you the address of my personal living quaters of the east wing of my Estate in the Trossachs, when should i leave the Yaris and the McClaren in the expansive driveway, awaiting your chamois leather? :yes:

cfc1,

she is too busy scrubbing my kitchen floor, then after that she is shaving my back for me. I should be done with her about 4am, so if she still has anything left in her, i will send her over.

I have just PM'ed you the address of my personal living quaters of the east wing of my Estate in the Trossachs, when should i leave the Yaris and the McClaren in the expansive driveway, awaiting your chamois leather? :yes:

cfc1,

she is too busy scrubbing my kitchen floor, then after that she is shaving my back for me. I should be done with her about 4am, so if she still has anything left in her, i will send her over.

Normally when Mr Winkey is finished with me - I'm too knackered to do anything else..... :lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links