Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lift Bolts On Cts

CraigR

Aphelion, totally agree with you. CraigR you've made your point, and honestly thanks for the information :thumbsup: . You don't need to be annoyed if you get some other opinions. I also have made my own inquiries just to find out that it might not be as serious as you've presented it.

Now, only time will tell who's right or wrong...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• T128

• bec-tsport

• Norfolk n Chance

Hello guys

What is really needed is Toyota to include this inspection point in some regular service of 2ZZGE engines according to their statistics. Something similal with what we knew for timing belts. I can accept that the screws are consumables that would have to be changed every 50k-100k miles.

I do not feel comfortable though with the fact that no service station knows about this issue. Could somebody address a letter to a Toyota Europe/International service center?

i find it quite funny :D when i see TS owners say they dont use the lift much why did they buy the TS ?,i mean i use the lift all the time this is part of a reason i choose the TS.

if any of you ask any toyota dealership they will tell you "of course you can use the lift all the time but make sure you come back for a service when is due" i think we all should have life time warrenty on the lift bolt beacuse toyota UK and there network dealers are telling us the lift bolt are soild as rock and they dont feel the need to check it even at service time.

i find it quite funny  :D when i see TS owners say they dont use the lift much why did they buy the TS ?,i mean i use the lift all the time this is part of a reason i choose the TS.

I agree, neither do i understand those who says that they never use the lift in their TS :D :lol:

• 1 month later...

I work for a dealer, and being in the parts dept, I see what's been done mainly in the workshop.

I Will purposely hunt out any warranty/recall issue's and see if dealerships are being told about it.

If a dealership ISN'T made away of it by HQ, the car will have to have PROVED symptoms of the issue.

I will find out what i can and relay it to you folks, no probs.

All i can say is dont waste your time with this people, i felt pretty foolish and now have total faith in toyota again, was just woried as my waranty was up, if you feel you need to clarify this i would ask your local dealer i cant vouch for every dealer but would say i got an excellent service from mine.

I don't know what to believe now - is there a problem or isn't there?!!!

Is it quite easy to check the bolts? I'm thinking of taking my CTS in soon to have the dashboard fixed so I might ask about having the lift bolts looked at too.

I haven't noticed any lack in performance or anything, but anyone mentioning "design faults", or "engine damage" in a post always makes me worry.

There is a potential problem if you use lift alot. Get it checked out as they are easy and cheap to replace if they havent snapped.

Finally backed up by Mr Shuttleworth (Hi Shutty :P ;) )

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34541

Hi

Ive done a lot of work wth Celica owners club & probabley fitted more lift bolts to 190 celica than the rest of the dealers in the UK put together

Normally takes about 1/2hr to replace unbroken bolts

If they have broken its about 5.5hrs

If they are broken though its warranty if under 3yrs/60k

the bolts cost 28p each x2

Headlamps / radio dimming is due to a power drain that the ECu didnt account for when the air pump kicked in

The modified ECU now accounts for this power drop

No other side effects than this occur

Well finally after reading 4 pages of this heres what i can say

There are bulletins(not recalls) available for Toyota dealers to view to help fix problems that either the dealer network around UK or europe have reported back or Toyota have found themselves. If a problem is serious saftey wise then a recall may be announced depending on all sorts of factors but unlikley due to cost

Toyota being who they are wouldnt take the American Ford line and run the risk

I am limited to what i can say knowing toyota gb DO read these forums

But a bulliten exists to helps dealers in the case of a customer complaining of lack of lift on pre 02 Corolla & Celica

The bolts were modified to rectify the problem and as far as Toyota are concerened its a fix

We have replaced lift bolts in around 25 Celicas of which around 7 were broken

CraigR was the worst due to the damage created to the oil gallery and the fact the end of the bolt fell into the gallery

The problem is exagerated due to forum/club knowledge but it has highlighted to some owners and recitified problems before they had noticed via precautionary checks

You will only loose lift if the bolt has snapped and the rocker shaft as rotated far enough to block the hole for the oil gallery that operates lift hence why some may have broken bolts and not know about it

We replaced broken lift bolts in one celica with 16k on the clock

Toyota will not iniate a recall if dealers do not report the failure through lack of knowledge. If they use the diagnoctis computers given to help them & read the reports it would make them a little wiser

More facts

It takes 25 - 35 mins to replace these bolts & 52p +vat for the parts

It takes a trained toyota tech 5hrs ish to replace a broken lift bolt due to the need to remove the rocker shaft out of the head

Finally

We have not done a Coroll lift bolt that i can remember but the bulletin does include Corolla T sports

Summary

dont get hung over on this, there are probabley around 80,000 celicas & corolla(complete guess) in the UK and poss 1-2 % may have this problem, Possibley more that are unaware of it

If the bolt breaks off and wedges the oil gallery it would never move anyway but the concern is where the head of the bolt goes

In defence of Craigr personally if it was my car and i either had the knowledge on how to replace them or a dealer willing to sensibly replace costwise i would have replaced every 10k(some may say im bound to say that if u think it personally i aint bothered)

Please dont bombard me on this i can say nothing to add to this take it as u read it

:rolleyes:

Well finally after reading 4 pages of this heres what i can say

There are bulletins(not recalls) available for Toyota dealers to view to help fix problems that either the dealer network around UK or europe have reported back or Toyota have found themselves. If a problem is serious saftey wise then a recall may be announced depending on all sorts of factors but unlikley due to cost

Toyota being who they are wouldnt take the American Ford line and run the risk

I am limited to what i can say knowing toyota gb DO read these forums

But a bulliten exists to helps dealers in the case of a customer complaining of lack of lift on pre 02 Corolla & Celica

The bolts were modified to rectify the problem and as far as Toyota are concerened its a fix

We have replaced lift bolts in around 25 Celicas of which around 7 were broken

CraigR was the worst due to the damage created to the oil gallery and the fact the end of the bolt fell into the gallery

The problem is exagerated due to forum/club knowledge but it has highlighted to some owners and recitified problems before they had noticed via precautionary checks

You will only loose lift if the bolt has snapped and the rocker shaft as rotated far enough to block the hole for the oil gallery that operates lift hence why some may have broken bolts and not know about it

We replaced broken lift bolts in one celica with 16k on the clock

Toyota will not iniate a recall if dealers do not report the failure through lack of knowledge. If they use the diagnoctis computers given to help them & read the reports it would make them a little wiser

More facts

It takes 25 - 35 mins to replace these bolts & 52p +vat for the parts

It takes a trained toyota tech 5hrs ish to replace a broken lift bolt due to the need to remove the rocker shaft out of the head

Finally

We have not done a Coroll lift bolt that i can remember but the bulletin does include Corolla T sports

Summary

dont get hung over on this, there are probabley around 80,000 celicas & corolla(complete guess) in the UK and poss 1-2 % may have this problem, Possibley more that are unaware of it

If the bolt breaks off and wedges the oil gallery it would never move anyway

In defence of Craigr personally if it was my car and i either had the knowledge on how to replace them or a dealer willing to sensibly replace costwise i would have replaced every 10k(some may say im bound to say that if u think it personally i aint bothered)

Please dont bombard me on this i can say nothing to add to this take it as u read it

:rolleyes:

Why its more on Celica than Corolla i dont know

Maybe you drive them more like fairy's than celica owners  :D

Joke honest  :eek:  :help:

Why its more on Celica than Corolla i dont know

Maybe you drive them more like fairy's than celica owners  :D

Joke honest  :eek:  :help:

That would definitely be the case :thumbsup:

Don't forget that you changed my gf's lift bolts Rob in her CTS.

Erm, this maybe a dumb question but how do I know if the lift is okay in my CTS?!

I've noticed is that there's a bit of a pickup at about 6000 revs but it's quite subtle and if there's someone else in the car they don't even notice it (yeah, I'm that sad that I point it out to my girlfriend! :rolleyes: ).

I guess if there was a problem then I wouldn't get any lift at all?

When I take my CTS in for a service I'll definitely ask about having the bolts replaced (or at the very least checked). I assume it won't cost much for a bit of preventative maintenance.

I'm very grateful to CraigR for bringing this to my attention. I have a 2004 Celica T-Sport w/10k on the clock.

On the basis of what Shutty/CraigR have said about (and I'm very much keen on Prevention Better Than Cure), I can't see the problem with spending £55ish on replacing the lift bolt every 10k or so.......i.e. half an hour's labour + VAT and bolts. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Spuffington> Why not do it yourself mate and save yourself the dosh. It's not that hard to do. Plus my dealers won't be sure of what you want them to do.

FMRL> Not sure what you are getting at mate. At 6000 odd revs you should hit lift and accelerate a lot faster. If the bolt(s) is/are broken then you may not lose lift unless the cams go out of allignment.

Theres a link somewhere on this thread on how to change them.

• 1 month later...
hello Fmrl

i say your cts might have a lift problem if you need to pointed out to someone your are on the lift,cos normaly for any first time passenger on the cts at lift  the reaction should be "what the *&^%  is that" !!!!!!! :D

t takes a trained toyota tech 5hrs ish to replace a broken lift bolt due to the need to remove the rocker shaft out of the head

i have not change my lift bolt yet but i had a look on a link CraigR provided,it dont say you need to take the rocker shaft out to change the lift bolt can someone comfirm this ? or is it just when the lift bolt has broken you need to .

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember a few years back when there was a lot of trouble with head gaskets (or similar) failing in Freelanders and Discovery's? Watchdog had some consumer guy on and he was mentioning about the head gasket not being a "servicible part", in effect it is designed to last the life of the car. If the lift bolts are not a "servicible part" surely if they were to break after warranty you would have a valid arguement with Toyota GB about getting them to cover the cost of there replacement?

Also would a failure be a breach of sales contract as the part supplied (and therefore the car) is not of satisfactory quality if the part doesn't last the life of the car? (but don't quote me on that like, i'm no expert)

cheers

Ad

:thumbsup:

Hi all, I had my bolts changed at a 30K mile service. Had a look at the old bolts and they're of the newer type, even for a 02 reg T-sport. However, there're some signs of wearing despite the fact that I don't use 'lift' much these days now compared to those days when I first got the car.

Nevertheless, it's advisable to change the bolts once in a while. Most dealers wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about but West Riding Toyota in Huddersfield definitely knows.

Adz Posted Jun 21 2005, 08:40 PM

Does anyone remember a few years back when there was a lot of trouble with head gaskets (or similar) failing in Freelanders and Discovery's? Watchdog had some consumer guy on and he was mentioning about the head gasket not being a "servicible part", in effect it is designed to last the life of the car. If the lift bolts are not a "servicible part" surely if they were to break after warranty you would have a valid arguement with Toyota GB about getting them to cover the cost of there replacement?

Also would a failure be a breach of sales contract as the part supplied (and therefore the car) is not of satisfactory

:yes::yes::yes: A very good point :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...

Dig up this tread.. lol

here are my bolts:

1hoA4r.jpg

1Q2UH0.jpg

giVzA.jpg

my CTS has 30 000 km.... and from 2005 ..

so you'd better check them ...

yeah some people on the celica forums change em every 2 years .

Considering it takes 20 minutes and costs about 80p to do, I don't see why they shouldn't be changed regularly (i.e. every 30k or so). I changed mine after 65k miles and they were badly notched, and when I saw ricc's, one of them was definitely less than 10k miles away from snapping as it was very badly worn.

• 10 months later...

if the bolts break, will i hear a "knocking" or "ticking" at all? i hit lift one day and then my motor started making a noise...its barely noticeable at idle, however when i accelerate, it becomes more predominant. any help is appreciated...thanks

seen as my CTS has just hit 100k miles i thought i should have a look at changing these bolts as i have no record of any previous owners swapping them out.

Can anyone recommend a guide for doing it or am i better taking to a garage? i have basic skills, can change brake discs and pads etc and clean MAF..should i be able to handl ethis one?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links