Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Anyone Chipped A St202/3

leon1918

i have read numerous posts on chipping but have yet to read anything about peoples actual thoughts after getting it doen , help please?

if its an import it will be a waste of time "chiping" as the ignition timing is advanced far enough already.

With the UK model u can get similar figures to the JAP import apparently.

IMO ud be better taking ur car to a decent rolling road and getting it set up for optimax by turning the distributer. either way it will need optimax from then on

thinks its apparently 98! Super will have to do mate!

Im sure someone will disagree but a chip for ur car is a total waste of money! Is it an import or uk model?

import, ss1 i think st203 with the 4 wheel steer, love the car just a little extra go would be nice

dont think a chip is avialable for ur engine anyway and with it being an import u cant get any extra out of it anyway as timing will be advanced to the max cos !Removed! have 100ron fuel!

u using normal unleaded will lose u lots of power tho

ahh ok so when she goes near empty fill it with super then? ill doi that an let u know how i get on , what really is happening there with lower ron fuel? losing much power?

yeah lots mate and in the long run will prob destroy ur engine. Will prob take a tank before u start to notice. Continue to run it on super forever

mayeb a stupid question but do u need to reset the ecu for it to feel the differnece using supre or optimax? how is it doen? also how much is optimax per litre where u are

On a stock engine adding a chip will only smooth out the power delivery and as cookci sayed it's a bit of a waste , in the tuning world the rule is do the chip last as you will have to get the chip re programmed for every mod you put on, so it's better doing all other mods first then doing the chip and getting it programmed the once.

Kev

i have chiupped my st202 and love it still run it on regular 95 ron and she runs great well worth getting the chip i have only adds 8bhp but pulls th epower band down to 3.5 k and the car loves it but i love it more

get one

You will need to reset the ECU. The ECU will have altered to timing to try and compensate for the knocking you will have been gettin running on 95 RON fuel. Just disconnect the Battery for a couple of minutes to do it. Be prepared for it to run poorly for the first few minutes while the ECU re-maps itself to your engine and make sure you are already running on Optimax when you do it or it'll all be for nothing.

this optimax speak is proven and has scientific background to prove it!

A chip can not make any difference to the peak BHP of a celica without advancing the ignition.

do you have proof before and after your "chip" modification?

We seem to be going round in circles with the stuff on reseting the ECU and using Optimax:

In the last few posts poeple have argued that you don't need to reset the ECU as it will work out that it has better Fuel itself and advance (some people seem to disagree)

Also it seems to have been concluded that super unleaded may well be better than Optimax. Super unleaded is gauranteed to have 97RON optimax can have upto 98RON and either way it goes off after a week.

Just repeating stuff from other posts so don't blame me if it's wrong - but please post if you know different and can prove it! :thumbsup:

i know alot of people on this site who dont use optimax and they are not the yaris boys optimax has its place i use it when im on the pod, as fro proofof more power it just has i dont rr it after every mod its next rr session is to set up th ecams properly so not for a couple of months. but the car has more power end of story

You really only need high ron fuel if your ecu is set for it i.e an import, you are running high boost (about 1bar) or you have a high compression ratio (10.5+)

Im unsure as to whether the ecu needs resetting. Only one way to find out :)

My Ecotek (poop) valve kept making the ecu adjust so was a waste of time, but seeing as a superchip is wired it it may be diffrent. :thumbsup:

You really only need high ron fuel if your ecu is set for it i.e an import, you are running high boost (about 1bar) or you have a high compression ratio (10.5+)

Im unsure as to whether the ecu needs resetting. Only one way to find out  :)

My Ecotek (!Removed!) valve kept making the ecu adjust so was a waste of time, but seeing as a superchip is wired it it may be diffrent. :thumbsup:

The ecotek isnt comparable to any other modification to ur car other than a big air leak!

The before and after of a Celica I chipped was very good. more power through the rev range.

And it wasn't placebo, as I wasn't fussed, wasn't my car :)

after usind super plus in esso, my car is def running better, i used to stop and do 0-60 times with my stopwatch on the mobile, before super plus i got 8.56 best and yes i done it about 10 times and all same sorta readings 98.6 - 9.0 secs) now im getting 7.5 s1 seriously and with a mates honda civic who wasnt way behind me while "progressing" now cannot touch me ! def big improvement.... although costly 89.9 , the wallet hates it but the celica loves it

thats my two cents

this optimax speak is proven and has scientific background to prove it!

A chip can not make any difference to the peak BHP of a celica without advancing the ignition.

do you have proof before and after your "chip"  modification?

There is something else that a remap/chip can do to increase hp, let me explain...

At full throttle (i.e. where peak power/fastest acceleration is attained), it is standard practice for car manufacturers to have WOT fuel enrichment. This causes extra petrol to be injected, beyond the amount actually needed for complete combustion. One reason for doing this is that the extra fuel supposedly reduces combustion/head/exhaust valve temperatures within the cylinder, helping to prevent the detonation. Another reason is that it is safer to be slightly to rich, than slightly too lean. The lambda sensor is useless at full throttle, so closed loop running cannot occur (except on the very newest cars with 'wideband' lambda sensors). Therefore the ECU has no feedback in regards to fuel mixture, and the ECU can only do what the engineers doing the development put in the fuel map, which may or may not be the best for your particular engine (they all vary slightly/age differently).

So at full throttle the standard ECU is deliberately running too rich, which reduces peak power (the space in the cylinder taken up by the wasted excess fuel, could have been used to get a bit more air in there).

A chip can be used to take out the WOT fuel enrichment, and lean the mixture back to an amount which is appropriate for best power output. Of course, this needs to be set to your particular engine using dyno testing.

Another factor (which may or may not apply to the 3s-ge ECU), is that most standard ECUs have tip-in and tip-out algorithms. Tip-in refers to when you plant the throttle wide open, tip-out when you lift off quick and it snaps shut. It basically dampens the throttle response and is mainly aimed at FWD cars. They do this to try and make the cars more stable/idiot proof. Imagine going around a corner too fast and the back end starts to break away - most inexperienced drivers natural reaction is to quickly lift off the throttle. But in a FWD car this can make things worse as the weight transfers onto the front wheels giving them more grip, and off the back wheels, making them let go even faster. Tip-out will try to smooth the throttle response (by altering the fueling/ignition), to try and minimise this.

Again an aftermarket ECU/chip can often remove this giving an improved throttle response (doesn't actually affect peak hp though).

yeah but the "chip" for the st202 states it just advances the ignition timing.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has used a mappable solution. I know on my last cars lots of interesting things could be done like launch control etc.

yeah but the "chip" for the st202 states it just advances the ignition timing.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has used a mappable solution. I know on my last cars lots of interesting things could be done like launch control etc.

I was thinking of unichip/e-manange style solutions.

Who needs a chip to advance ignition timing, just turn the dizzy round a bit! :cacker:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links