Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota/lexus Care

System~G

Just wondering what's happening with the website and/or info on products as I am wanting to try restore some of the paintwork on the MKI.

Jerry and Kimi have both kindly given me their view point on products they use (Meguiars Steps1-3).

I am researching into other similar products made by other manufacturers (cost/quality) and what is best to bring back original colour from a very faded finish with a bit of elbow grease an no respray (yet).

I would also welcome anyone elses opinion on restoring old and tired paintwork. No need to tell me about Meguairs :thumbsup:

hmmmm.

whats wrong with your paint mate, why do you need to "restore" it.

for what its worth - Meguiars is good stuff, but the 3 stage stuff is only really good for minor paintwork improvement - swirls etc.

There are other products are better for a restorative job - but need to know what you want to restore :thumbsup:

Matt

Garricks car is red and very faded as red does.

get your self some 3m stuff Garrick and mop it with it.

Matt

Garricks car is red and very faded as red does.

get your self some 3m stuff Garrick and mop it with it.

ouch :crybaby:

defintely no Meguiars, its not abrasive enough to deal with that sort of oxidation.

If you have a machine (such as a porter cable polisher), then you can use less harsh products, as the machine will work A LOT harder than you can.

Without a machine, you are probably best with something like Autoglym Paintowork Restorer (WARNING - thats an abrasive polish - it will remove clearcoat / paint).

Will be quite hard work :(

Make sure you ALSo get a decent polish and glaze / wax. If you are going to do all that hard work restoring your paint - you wanna be DAMN sure you protect it from ending up that way again :thumbsup:

Cheers Matt :thumbsup:

The paint on upper pannels (bonnet, roof, engine bay lid and spoiler were so faded it was almost white (with a shade of pink) in some places :P

I used some original T-Cut (no longer available) in a quick 1/2 hour session and it brought the colour right up. But because I was rushing, I didn't get it evenly finished.

I am quite sure another coat of something slightly kinder than T-Cut and then the old polish & wax should do it nicely... just until I get afford to give it a re-spray/blowover.

Kimi, what is 3M? (I only know of the Scotchguard 3M sellotape :D ) And also what is mopping? Is it using a damp/wet cloth to apply the compound?

did the meguires clay,polish wax job today....thought the clay was a bit funny but after seeing the results im impressed. The clay rocks!! 4 hours later my car was like a mirror :drool:

but if its FAO then it should be a PM! some members get let off with this, and some members dont! Everyone should be treat equally ;)

breeze, when someone says fao envy, do you have this in stock then noone will know.

but with a topic like this other people can input their opnions

Damn, i might have to get some clay as well!

i did an FAO before for envy and alot of people <the spuds of lurrrrvve>ed me! and it was because his PM box was full!

thats why im saying this! some people get treated differently and its wrong!

sooo.....

you derailed this thread for what reason?

it seems to me that this was a perfectly sensible thread, that could be of use to more than one person.

or it was, until you came along, dropped your pants and crapped all over it.

no - lets leave it on the original subject eh? :thumbsup:

yes because its one rule for one set of people, and another for another set of people! nuff said continue with the post

Matt also has an email, so why not email him if its an FAO

I DRIVE A FORD AND PROUD

i did an FAO before for envy and alot of people <the spuds of lurrrrvve>ed me! and it was because his PM box was full!

thats why im saying this! some people get treated differently and its wrong!

EMAIL SON

Hes also got a telephone number

Why am i argueing with a ford owner :D :P

Right back on topic :D

Sorry matt (10 quid in your paypal account for the special treatment ;) :D)

Lol 2 people getting the clay....im phoning meguires to get a commission!!! :yes:

Does that mean you can get me it cheaper? :D

EDIT: Breezer, i have driven a mk6 fiesta, and a ford focus, and they are not as torquey as i would like :D

you might think its better as its faster.... but the handling is good i must say, but as i have uprated suspension on mine its not as good, also i thought the ride was too soft, i like a harsh ride

Cheers Matt :thumbsup:

The paint on upper pannels (bonnet, roof, engine bay lid and spoiler were so faded it was almost white (with a shade of pink) in some places :P

I used some original T-Cut (no longer available) in a quick 1/2 hour session and it brought the colour right up. But because I was rushing, I didn't get it evenly finished.

I am quite sure another coat of something slightly kinder than T-Cut and then the old polish & wax should do it nicely... just until I get afford to give it a re-spray/blowover.

Kimi, what is 3M? (I only know of the Scotchguard 3M sellotape :D ) And also what is mopping? Is it using a damp/wet cloth to apply the compound?

Sounds like you are in for some really hard work my friend. But it will be worth while in the end mate :yes:

jerry!!

Back to the original post though, the link for Toyota/Lexus car care isn't working. Has it moved, or is it under development or something????

yes because its one rule for one set of people, and another for another set of people! nuff said continue with the post

Matt also has an email, so why not email him if its an FAO

I DRIVE A FORD AND PROUD

well ***** to the fordownersclub then if your gonna be such a whinging tart

maybe this post was put here with the intention of others inputting too but just matt is car cleaning geek (joke)

anyway back on topic,

u need to cut back the old paint by the sounds of things as the top layers wont be up to scratch let some fresh through

I would also welcome anyone elses opinion on restoring old and tired paintwork.

there ya go garrick welcomes anyone elses opinions so MAYBE thats why its a post!

I would also welcome anyone elses opinion on restoring old and tired paintwork.

there ya go garrick welcomes anyone elses opinions so MAYBE thats why its a post!

how can someone give an opnion on wether envy have something in stock?

Garrick: You might want to talk to andy (Jappybeast) he got a full respray for 600 quid, might be worth it??

Stop all that rust kicking in

Back to the original post though, the link for Toyota/Lexus car care isn't working. Has it moved, or is it under development or something????

yeah - undergoing some work.

will be back soon :thumbsup:

in the meanwhile - you can get everything you need from autopia-carcare.com

Your best bet may be to get a rubbing compound like G3,

It will lift a little paint but the finished result is well worth it.

Also, if you can borrow an electric buff it will make the job 100 times easier.

OOoops sorry Garrick i just tend to think folk know what i'm talking about,using it everyday its normal to me :wacko::lol:

3m is a range of bodyshop materials that are silicone free,

finesse-it is a very fine t-cut if you use this with an electric mop polishing machine

(mop it !) followed by durable hand glaze this will remove swirl marks and provide

a deep gloss and lasting protection.

then use a wax polish of your choice and your finished :D

3m's nbr 01344 858000 they may tell you of your local stockists,

my local is brown brothers aint sure if they are country wide or not.

Hope that explained it Garrick :lol:

***forgot to say it aint cheap around £18 a bottle but will last ages***

Your best bet may be to get a rubbing compound like G3,

It will lift a little paint but the finished result is well worth it.

Also, if you can borrow an electric buff it will make the job 100 times easier.

yes G3 might be worth a go to,with a mop!!(electric buff)

Edited by kimi

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links