Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.6 Vvti

INNUENDO

I have read lots of threads regarding heavy oil consumption on the various

versions of the VVT1 engine.

In my case it concerns the 1.6 VVTI fitted to a 2002 Corolla T-Spirit.

This engine is consuming over half a litre of oil every 1000 miles.

I have just returned from my main dealer again where they have

completed another measurement of oil used. They tell me that it

is within Toyotas acceptable specification of 1 litre / 1000 miles.

I have never owned a car previously that consumes so much oil

other than old high mileage bangers. Toyota refuse to do anything

about it. In fact I asked the main dealer to buy the car back from

me because I feel so strongly about it. They offered me £2500 less

than I paid for it 4 months ago.

Where can I go from here? I know this is not an isolated problem and

would like to hear from other owners in the same situation.

I have read lots of threads regarding heavy oil consumption on the various

versions of the VVT1 engine.

In my case it concerns the 1.6 VVTI fitted to a 2002  Corolla T-Spirit.

This engine is consuming over half a litre of oil every 1000 miles.

I have just returned from my main dealer again where they have

completed another measurement of oil used. They tell me that it

I have never owned a car previously that consumes so much oil

other than old high mileage bangers. Toyota refuse to do anything

about it. In fact I asked the main dealer to buy the car back from

me because I feel so strongly about it. They offered me £2500 less

than I paid for it 4 months ago.

Where can I go from here? I know this is not an isolated problem and

would like to hear from other owners in the same situation.

You could try to drive the car till its consuming 1l every 1000miles and let the car in Maintance by the dealer so when its consuming a liter oil they have to change the underblock under warrenty , because its a nown problem by these engines

I didn't know there was a problem with this model, as i have the same model.

I did wonder why i got a bottle of oil on my last service, but never thought about it, and so stuffed the bottle in the garage.

My car is due for it's next service, so i'll wonder if the same thing comes up again...

Will keep you posted....

Not sure if this is helpfull but i had a E10 previously to my current Tsport and it was using the 1.6 VVTi engine, not too sure wether this is the same as yours but mine was using a heck of an amount of oil and it turns out that the Cylinder head was cracked and was letting oil escape in to the radiator, might be worth checking if the water in the filler is milky??

Toyota are bound to have fixed these issues but i think mine was the 2nd one the had in during a week.

You could try to drive the car till its consuming 1l every 1000miles and let the car in Maintance by the dealer so when its consuming a liter oil they have to change the underblock under warenty , because its a nown problem by these engines

G6-R is Right , this is known problem,......

They must inspect the engine(I think -> cylinder bore geometry...), ....and there are few solutions(sometimes just new piston rings(new material->more flexible,....).

Hurry up, this is your(car) last year under warranty(or maybe not???? :( )

They tell me that it

This is rediculous!!!

Nobody believes that this is written to be applied in actual cases. It is against common knowledge and common sense!

And if the dealerships do not inform in advance the potential customers for this, then they are obviously commiting fraud.

I also think that Toyota is not stupid to claim that an engine consuming up to 1lt/1k miles is OK.

If such a statement is known to the public then nobody would buy a car from them.

I had the oil problem and had my engine underblock replaced under warranty, no fraud there attempted by my local Toyota service shop...they claimed it was the piston rings that got ruined and let the oil leak into cylinders burning up almost whole amount of oil over a 1000 miles and ruining the driveshaft bearings...I've been driving with the new block for 8 months now and oil is still over maximum limit (I don't know why that is)... :eek:

I had the oil problem and had my engine underblock replaced under warranty, no fraud there attempted by my local Toyota service shop...they claimed it was the piston rings that got ruined and let the oil leak into cylinders burning up almost whole amount of oil over a 1000 miles and ruining the driveshaft bearings...I've been driving with the new block for 8 months now and oil is still over maximum limit (I don't know why that is)... :eek:

How old is youre Corolla and is it a 1600 engine and how many km are on the clock??

How old is youre Corolla and is it a 1600 engine and how many km are on the clock??

hi

My Corolla is the 1.6 VVTI T-Spirit 2002 Model with 30000 miles.

The car used a sump full of oil in 4000 miles without the oil warning

light coming on. Toyota flatly refuse to accept any responsibility even

though the car was still under warranty.

hi

And now , do you have to pay a engine your self ????? :eek:

or what thit they do ?

hi

It seems that Toyota dealers in UK sucks.........

Sorry I wasn't around for some time...YES, my engine is 1.6 and the peak of the problem occured 1000 miles after regular oil change in at my authorized dealer, at roughly 30000 kilometers from purchase...it could be that the specific agressive? oil mix that they use (it seems they use oil from big barrels that they probably get wholesale, not plastic canisters we buy at auto-part shops) may have ruined the piston rings, not bad gasoline as they claimed probably trying to transfer the blame to someone else...maybe this specific oil batch of Castrol softec, I presume, had such a devastating effect on engines of 2002 Corollas like mine... :(

also, there was NO oil warning light until oil was completely depleted...so I didn't suspect anything except for a crackling noise that started good 1-2 weeks before the oil lamp lit up...as I was driving around seaside through very narrow streets and woods so I thought it was a normal echo from transmission in closed surroundings...so the engine was running on dry well before the oil light lit up...

They tell me that it

This is rediculous!!!

Nobody believes that this is written to be applied in actual cases. It is against common knowledge and common sense!

And if the dealerships do not inform in advance the potential customers for this, then they are obviously commiting fraud.

I also think that Toyota is not stupid to claim that an engine consuming up to 1lt/1k miles is OK.

If such a statement is known to the public then nobody would buy a car from them.

In fact, my previous statement was incorrect, the actual acceptable oil consumption stated by Toyota is one litre per 600 miles not 1000 miles.

• 1 month later...

i just bought a 1.6 gs 1999 with 52k on clock after a 1000miles i noticed the engine oil light on too and it was quite empty the garage i got from was not a toyota dealer but assured me with a full service and cam belt change, i have since done about 2500miles and put in about 6 litres, the exhaust blows black smoke does any1 no if this also comes under a warrenty repair. the garage i bought from said to call the warrenty company up to book into a garage and the recommend nationalwide auto centre to check it out, does any1 no wot my problem could be. thanks.

I am astounded by all this.

Cars now have to meet 'so-called' strict emssion and smog tests and are supposed to be 'environmentally friendly' yet some new cars appear to burn oil. Cars burning oil was something that was only considered the norm in the 60's, 50's, 40's and further back in time. However Toyotas of the 70's, 80's and early 90's never used hardly a drop of oil between services yet are now considered 'evironmentally damaging' ...hmm, very strange <_< .

Reference the Oil warning light comments above.

Be careful. It is an oil PRESSURE switch and not an oil LEVEL switch. You don't get a warning about the level being low until the oil level starts to drop very low and the pump starts drawing air. It's a last gasp warning to get your car off the road before the engine seizes.

If you get that light on chances are you've already done some damage to the engine. The oil level warning is when you get to the minimum mark on the dipstick.

some of older model of short blocks in production are made with higher tolerancy so oil consumation can be a problem, allso after realising this problem they star producing modified model of short blocks, so when conusmation start to be higher than normal one, they must change you all modified parts for this problem

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add a bit to this discussion, as I think it is wholly relevant. A friend of mine drives a 2001 Corolla ZZE110 with the 1.8-litre VVT-i 1ZZ-FE (the 3ZZ and 4ZZ are basically the 1ZZ with a shorter stroke, much like the difference between 4A and 7A engines). With only 65,000 miles, his engine was making oil disappear at an alarming rate. He bought the car with only 24,000 miles, and it had a full service history. He did his own oil changes at 3,000 mile intervals using only Mobil 1 full synthetic, and religiously checked the oil level, never letting it get more than halfway down between the full and low marks on the dipstick. He had problems with pinging for a while (when it was still under warranty), and 5 different Toyota dealers assured him it was normal. Going to RON 96 petrol made it better, but not completely. Not long ago, it turned into a full blown metallic knock, which finally prompted him to buy a used 1ZZ from a junkyard with 60,000 miles on it. 3 weeks ago, I helped him swap out the engines. He took the old motor apart, and discovered what the problem was: THREE spun rod bearings with one well on its way due to insufficient oiling. The worst part of it is that his is not the first one out there to do this. The fact that we're hearing about problems with the 3ZZ and 4ZZ as well as the 1ZZ leads me to believe that there may be a problem in the engine design itself. Now I'm really sorry to cut off here, but I have to go get ready for work.

I thought that modern engines were supposed to use some oil under normal circumstances - to prevent engine wear ect

i have a 1.4vvti 2002 and was wondering weather or not it has a chain or a belt.

also how much oils other peoples 1.4vvti's using.

the 1.4 vvti engine has a chain

• 3 weeks later...

hi i have a 1.4 vvt-i corolla and mine is using around 1 litres per 1000 miles when i took it to my local dealer for its 40k service they said its normal for that has 16 valve engines use the oil to aid with cooling the valves and valve train but they did say bring back the car after 1000 miles and they will check my oil usage they did check it for me and still say it within toyota limits but when i get to about 500 mile per liter they will consider strippin down engine and changing the lover block and pistons. On the subject of oil usage tho me dads 1.8 vvti avensis dont use a drop thats done 40k has well and is a 2000 x reg and from what i've read on the avensis part of this site these engines where the most common to use oil.

Hello there every one

Just my little contribution to the discussion , i have a 98 1.6 liftback and it doesn't seem to use any oil whatsoever ! Have just had a 45,000 mile service at Toyota ,( £180 inc mot by the way ).

The oil level is around 5 mm over the full mark. Dont suppose this will do any damage ?.

Anyway am off Geordieland today , a trip of 130 miles eachway and will see how the car performs.

Cheers Albi.

The oil level is around 5 mm over the full mark. Dont suppose this will do any damage ?.

Cheers Albi.

They filled mine up over the full mark too! I suppose that's OK because that's the second time they did this and the car was under warranty so I guess they know what they're doing and wouldn't do anything that could do damage and force them to lose money...they are never supposed to lose money, you know... <_< :P

• 4 weeks later...

the point of a maximum mark is maximum if over drain off asap modern oils expand and is under high pressure so you will blowa oil seal normally when out of warrenty and thus expense of the customer

Sorry Silverarrow but that is completely wrong.

For emissions control you have to draw the blowby gas out of the crank case and then draw through the PCV system back into the intake and burn back through the combustion chambers. Under most circumstances the crank case and sump cavity are under negative pressure to do this.

The oil pump controls the pressure in the main high pressure oil system. The level has no effect on this at all (unless the level gets too low and it starves it of oil)

The problem is if you allow the oil to get too high it starts to reach the counterweights of the crankshaft with 3 main detrimental effects.

1) Loss of power due to the additional drag of oil on the crank

2) Increased oil temperature and therefore reduced lubrication properties and lifespan.

3) Airation of the oil (atomising and introducing bubbles) which causes problems with oil life span and can also mean it coming out when in the high oil pressure system which can cause bearing problems and VVT actuation problems

As to the question will an overfill do any damage. Not immediately at a severe level and definately not at 5mm over max. Just leave it till it drops slightly. If we were talking more like 20-30mm over I might recommend draining some out but not for that much

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links