Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota

Bass junky

hi

First of all I have been a Toyota fan since the early 90s

well looks like nothing worth buying in the sports section as all I see is the 190 celica which is dissapointing

Where has it gone wrong? the GTI-16 feels faster to me and most people who have been in ours whick is totally standard think the same

I hope they bring something out soon - the 90's had the mighty Supra, the awsome GT4 and the GTI-16

We might have to go to another manufacturer for a sporty car as Toyota don't seem to want to do it no more

Honda is looking good or another Subaru or even an EVO would be good

Rant over sorry

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scionic

• Karma Supra

• KidKoala

• Bass junky

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to a few wicked whispers Toyota will be bringing plenty of new stuff out soon, so I guess just watch this space.... :thumbsup:

Have you driven a Gen 7 190?

Don't knock it until you have as it is deceptive and cruises smooth as heck and the power is there if you know how to use it. :yes:

It ain't a GT4 and doesn't pretend to be but give it a burn on a test drive and see what ya think.

Just don't get a !Removed! common as muck Scooby.............. :ph34r:

seems toyota have changed their priorities, more people carriers and luxury cars now

supra style car is making an appearance prob but not like the toyota of yester years i kno

Jay

Well according to a few wicked whispers Toyota will be bringing plenty of new stuff out soon, so I guess just watch this space....  :thumbsup:

Lets hope they don't dissapoint

Then we have the MR2 Turbo which was never replaced as well...

Bro.. If you want to blend in with the croud in Bradford you will do with the scoob or evo... they are as common as the Ford Focus round here as you know! :rolleyes:

What you want is the Integra Type R bro.. :thumbsup: Fast.. Practicle.. and rare to see.. :yes:

..........and people ask me when I am going to get a car from at least this decade :lol:

Toyota isn't really much interested in performance or sporty cars anymore. I expect they will come out with some sort of overpriced sports car under the Lexus Badge (other than the Soarer, probably that LF-A concept) and that will serve as a halo car to help sell all their other reliable and trusty, but decidedly less sexy models.

Any company that phases out all their "sports" cars within a few years of one another with no clear replacements obviously does not care about the segment. Toyota is a business, just like other car companies and SUV's are what sell now. That's why Toyota makes about 100 different ones.

Hate to break it to you. The Scion tC is as close to a Celica or an MR2 as you're going to see IMO. There will be the tC and the SC430(Soarer) and probably something like that LF-A concept. 2 out of those 3 are out of the reach of most of us economically and the tC isn't anything more amazing than an Avensis-based small sports coupe.

Toyota was never really a sporting company. They have always been just a practical car company that happened to make a few sporty cars from time to time. Now that sporty cars don't sell as well as they once did and Toyota can count on millions of people to buy anything with a Toyota Badge on it they have no reason to try and compel people to buy with a stimulating driving experience.

End of story.

If you want performance, look elsewhere to the marques that take it seriously.

If you want a ride to work and room for groceries, Toyota's got you covered.

toyota are bringing out the new Supra, crossed between the supra and 2000gt, there are gonna be 2 bigger versions, the V6 twin turbo and V8 twin turbo, Top Secret have also ordered one already to be the first to take it to 1000bhp.

Theres another model I've heard about thats supposed to be big bhp, equal to the Supra but weighing in at 1200kg approx....supposedly a hard core sports/track car, we'll need to wait and see for that...but I think Toyota are coming to the end of there economical and "boring" cars and putting themselves back in the sports car bracket. Especially with them being the largest financial company on the F1 circuit, this can only make them better.

First off I was just getting annoyed with Toyota :P

I don't drive due to bad vision

I travel in a Gen 7 190 at least 3 days a week and it feels slow even when driven hard, also been in a Integra Type-R a week ago and that's more hardcore and feels much faster

I hope they bring something sporty out very soon as we don't want a Subaru (my brother has one) or an Evo

I feel like we should stay with Toyota as they are very reliable and robust

I wish they bring out the new Supra as that is my all time fav Toyota

FIZZ - neven had the pleasure of riding in an MR2 Turbo so I can only imagine how they perform

Anyway sounds good as they have to do something being in F1 allthough I liked it better when they were in rallying

Another rant over lol

First off I was just getting annoyed with Toyota  :P

I don't drive due to bad vision

I travel in a Gen 7 190 at least 3 days a week and it feels slow even when driven hard, also been in a Integra Type-R a week ago and that's more hardcore and feels much faster

I hope they bring something sporty out very soon as we don't want a Subaru (my brother has one) or an Evo

I feel like we should stay with Toyota as they are very reliable and robust

I wish they bring out the new Supra as that is my all time fav Toyota

FIZZ - neven had the pleasure of riding in an MR2 Turbo so I can only imagine how they perform

Anyway sounds good as they have to do something being in F1 allthough I liked it better when they were in rallying

Another rant over lol

Just give me a bell lad and i will be happy to take you out for a spin.. :thumbsup:

Also.. who's Type R was it? i am seriously considering that as a next car if i manage to get the insurance down a bit more in the future.. :yes:

Would love to check one out close up... :bookworm:

toyota are bringing out the new Supra, crossed between the supra and 2000gt, there are gonna be 2 bigger versions, the V6 twin turbo and V8 twin turbo

No no no no no dude :lol:

The Supra is dead and buried...

But in reply to the original post of this thread, toyota are infact trying to bring the power back to us.

Out now in Japan -

Caldina GT4 ~ 260bhp

Yaris/Vitz RS Turbo ~ 150bhp

Soarer V8 ~ 280BHP

Out Now Here -

Lexus SC400 ~ 280BHP

Coming Very Soon -

Corolla Supercharged T-Sport ~ 225bhp

Coming in the Future -

Avensis Tourer 3.0 Twin Turbo ~ 300+bhp (Not official but under specualation)

MR2 Derivative Using hybrid engine/drivetrain

Roadgoing version of the LF-A/LF-C concept (Derivative of the Toyota Volta Concept) ~ approx 400-500bhp

Seems that most new performance Toyotas are kept overseas due to "lack of demand" in the UK at the moment and problems justifying the price in sterling. The Yaris/Vitz turbo was all set for release in the UK, until research showed that consumers may not be prepared to pay the £14k+ price tag. Shame :crybaby:

Seems that most new performance Toyotas are kept overseas due to "lack of demand" in the UK at the moment and problems justifying the price in sterling. The Yaris/Vitz turbo was all set for release in the UK, until research showed that consumers may not be prepared to pay the £14k+ price tag. Shame  :crybaby:

Ha.. I would rather have the Civic Type R for an extra couple of £K.. :rolleyes:

Yes they have plans for the supra... depending on the F1 results....

the bad news is it will have a lexus Badge on it! :blink:

Seems that most new performance Toyotas are kept overseas due to "lack of demand" in the UK at the moment and problems justifying the price in sterling. The Yaris/Vitz turbo was all set for release in the UK, until research showed that consumers may not be prepared to pay the £14k+ price tag. Shame  :crybaby:

Ha.. I would rather have the Civic Type R for an extra couple of £K.. :rolleyes:

Yeah - unfortunately it was that exact same sentiment that prevented its release... The Yaris Turbo would be comparable (price wise) to the CTR. :!Removed!:

FIZZ - Love to ride with you somethime

The ITR was a red import - we got 135 in 4th out of it

Love the redline at 9k it sounds awsome

toyota are bringing out the new Supra, crossed between the supra and 2000gt, there are gonna be 2 bigger versions, the V6 twin turbo and V8 twin turbo, Top Secret have also ordered one already to be the first to take it to 1000bhp.

Theres another model I've heard about thats supposed to be big bhp, equal to the Supra but weighing in at 1200kg approx....supposedly a hard core sports/track car, we'll need to wait and see for that...but I think Toyota are coming to the end of there economical and "boring" cars and putting themselves back in the sports car bracket. Especially with them being the largest financial company on the F1 circuit, this can only make them better.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I can believe maybe a $30k+ Supra replacement, but as for them injecting fun-to-drive sensibility into their small, affordable cars again I doubt it. An affordable MR2 replacement I doubt as well. I think the boring Camry and Avensis type models are here to stay and I doubt we will see anything any more dynamic than a Yaris T-sport in the less expensive realm. And the turbo Yaris is not a worth competitor to a CTR. The Honda makes it's power with technology instead of boosting an old engine. The CTR also has brilliant handling and a properly sorted suspension instead of the silly archaic torsion beam crap in the Yaris. Not even in the same class, really.

Horsepower isn't the only issue. That's great they make a 260 hp Caldina in JAPAN, but no one else gets it and it's not a sports car anyway, it's a big fat wagon. The SC430 is cool, but extremely expensive and not even available with a manual transmission (at least not here) These cars are just barely keeping up with the competition, they certainly don't break any new ground.

Toyota just doesn't have the "eye of the tiger". They may build some performance models again, but they will be isolated and overpriced halo models to improve the image of the brand. I don't see a revolution across the brand happening.

Toyota is so big and so mainstream that anything other than appealing to the broadest possible audience doesn't even occur to them. It's just not an enthusiasts brand.

Those who appeal to the enthusiast deserve the credit for doing so. We can hang on to Toyota's few great sporty models of the past in denial or we can admit the truth. Knock "Scumbaru's" and Mitsubishi and the rest all you want. The fact is they take enthusiasts seriously and deliver dynamic performance for your money, something Toyota DOES NOT DO, PERIOD.

But you can always hang on to your aging Toyota sports cars and hope for the future and save your pennies because you'll need a large loan to afford anything remotely sports car like that Toyota is going to build in the future and you'll feel pretty silly in your Caldina or SC430 when Scumbaru's and Mitsubishi's costing about half the money blast past you. But at least you will have a nicer interior then they do, since that's what counts to a real enthusiast, right? Who cares if the handling is brilliant and the drive is scintillating if the dashboard plastic is too shiny, right? :rolleyes:

*clicks stopwatch*

Scionic, your getting slower in your old age....

This thread took at least a day before you mentioned a Subaru, and how superior they are!

they are calling you and want you to spend lots of time there...

And the turbo Yaris is not a worth competitor to a CTR. The Honda makes it's power with technology instead of boosting an old engine. The CTR also has brilliant handling and a properly sorted suspension instead of the silly archaic torsion beam crap in the Yaris. Not even in the same class, really.

As I said in my post;

Yeah - unfortunately it was that exact same sentiment that prevented its release... The Yaris Turbo would be comparable (price wise) to the CTR.

With the emphasis on 'price wise', not performance wise.

Scionic has a point though

I know Subaru's are common but they are good at what they do

I love Toyota sports cars of old but due to the lack of focus shown by Toyota in this department other manufactures are creating better cars

I feel dis-loyad to even think about it but if they can't produce the goods

Still love their family cars our D4D is great, very reliable if not much fun

*clicks stopwatch*

Scionic, your getting slower in your old age....

This thread took at least a day before you mentioned a Subaru, and how superior they are!

they are calling you and want you to spend lots of time there...

I think Toyota's are superior quality to Subaru's, definitely.

I just think that Subaru (right now) takes performance more seriously.

Do you disagree with THAT point? Because that's the only point I've ever tried to make, mate.

That's always the way it seems, the MR2 turbo was never brought over here officially. Toyota don't think that the UK want powerful cars, maybe because they get away with selling millions of Corolla, Yaris and Avensis every year. Why risk introducing a new model against the established likes of Evo's, Scoobies, BMW etc. Toyota hasn't had the exposure in motorsport it had in the rally days of old. Maybe with the formula one it has upped it's image slightly but F1 at the moment doesn't have a glittering image as a whole.

Take the Corolla T Sport, great car but it has always sat in the shadow of the Civic Type R.

Lexus seems to have taken up a lot of the luxury market Toyota branded cars used to fight for, ok the IS200/330 aren't flying machines but they sell in bucket loads too.

I'm quite glad actually, owning a car with no new model to compare it to makes my tubby more special. With near supercar performance and cheap purchase prices I think the old school will be around for a long time :)

Joe

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links