Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Junkies

Cubic Incubi

i have a spare head whic has just be sorted out sat next to me at moment so if worse does come to worse ill get th block sent off and get a metal headgasjet fitted,.

th eturbo is a ct26

and there is no way the top mount is staying for long.

like i said earlier im not gonna be boosting the turbo to the max, just want to have the potential there so i can turn it up accordingly with mods i have done.

any recommandations on boost controllers, im a fan of apexi stuff so the avcr is the one im looking at, what u lot think??

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cubic Incubi

• daktari

• Bibbs

• dawesy

Have you ever seen an OEM headgasket? If not, I can assure you that they are not made of paper.

But yes, the aftermarket performace (i.e. steel) gaskets are able to take higher cylinder pressures, although they can be more difficult to install well.

:rolleyes: ST165 and ST205 head gaskets are metal. So what is the ST185 gasket made of mike and why do owners put a metal one on? ST205's do not blow gaskets, ST185's do. Why is this. Why are they harder to install. When the word 'paper' was used it is to suggest its strength compared with a metal head gasket.

Yes I have seen a OEM headgasket when I stripped a 3SGE down to its last nut and bold and held the crankshaft in my hands.

cheers

Sorry, missed out on a few Q's there.

The Supra CT26 has a larger Compressor, which can be bolted to the twin entry exhaust of a 3s turbo.

Adds about 10% more power on it's own, with the same spool up.

The Gen2 comment was about the 3S block .. 4 Gens in all ..

ST165

ST185 - Rev1/2 Mk2 MR2

ST205 - Rev3/4/5 Mk2 MR2

ST225 - Same block for the VVTi lumps ..

Sorry, missed out on a few Q's there.

The Supra CT26 has a larger Compressor, which can be bolted to the twin entry exhaust of a 3s turbo.

Adds about 10% more power on it's own, with the same spool up.

Hmmm. Thats handy to know. :D :thumbsup:

Mike, thanks for mentioning exgaust housing A/R ratio.

A basic explanation is available here; http://www.turbotime.us/html/turbofaq.htm

Makes for an interesting read when considering an uprated or different model specific ct26

cheers

i just want to get the turbo boleted on im excited now, however got to take out old lump use a few parts form old lump on new lump get better brakes better suspension few other odds and sods mot tax insurance... ive got a long way to go havent i

so whos helping me then

Hmmm. Henley on Thames..... Bit far. How about a heartfelt. GO FOR IT MATEY, Accompanied by loud and raucous cheering. :lol::thumbsup:

I'm excited 'FOR' you, sadly my days of boosting into orbit on the eternal actuator are over until I get my project completed, I get wet lips daily just thinking about it :lol:

Spent the afternoon chatting with my Dad, we could say he's an oil expert with 30 years moving it and pumping it to refinery's all over the globe.

He thinks i'm nuts, then goes on to explain he's considering a 4 week intensive high altitude sky diving course in the USA, at 52 years old - who's got a screw loose then me or him :lol:

Just watch the weather fella's it's getting damn hot out there, hold back the boost til the Autumn comes along and all hell can be let loose, of course we then have the wet and the greasy roads to think about.

I just wish I lived in iceland - FI heaven :D

yea im gonna lsowly wind the boost in dont want to blow this lump its gonn take alot of time and effort to get it up n running dont wantto waste it

couple o fthings though

metal head gaskets starting to think ill need one, now i know th echeap option is normally cheap beacause its poo, but as MHG doint flex as much as a standard one u need to get block and head machineded down for a perfect service yes??

if so can i just get some gasket sealnt and do a small scree over block and head and put gasket on will this suffice (the head was redone bout 500 miles ago so that should be fine) , alos karma will be helping me on this so it will be properly applied, he drives mk3 supras hes wary of BHG.

also external wastegates any use (at the power im looking at running eventually (317 bhp) or just to pose.

External wastegates are cool, but you'll need a new manafold and then to weld the stock one shut.

It's all pose value, really ..

aye its pose unless you have a nice big blower then you need one and a screamer pipe.

gasket sealant, not on your head gasket mate - thats for the rocker cover, sumps, oil pump, gearbox etc, nowt goes on the head mate except metal on metal.

You will have to have the head and block checked, possibly skimmed a little then the head gasket chosen for the right compression, i think the head gaskets start at 10mm up to about 16mm, could be more, depends how much is taken off the head and block, but you can cheat to get slightly higher or lower compression aswell as a tighter head. Theres no way your gonna burst a head gasket clamped in with arp head studs, it'll boost 450bhp and the pistons would melt first, never heard of one going thats been fitted properly, really is a mindfield above 250bhp inho.

There`s some stuff we use on Diesel cylinder heads (Higher compression) Wellseal Jointing Compound.. It`s very good stuff. Stays tacky until it`s heated up then solidifies. Bit messy but top notch. Wouldn`t use any silicone type compouds as they`ll just turn to mush. Totally useless. Piccy below.

DSCN0445.JPG

cool.

am offically TOC new guy :D

complete mod noob here

i have a lot to learn reading through this thread has opened more questions than answers :eek:

aaaaaanyhoosss....

I gots me a lovely 1990 gt4 import ...bleeding slightly at the rear of the turbo ...getting that sorted then off to a rolling road test to see whats fallen off

so far all i can see on mods is a turbo timer

couple of questions

1. i cant hear any noise off the turbo whilst driving ... last car (1985 nissan silvia 1.8 turbo) had the turbo up near the firewall and it was sweet to listen to ... i miss the noise ... was wondering ... no noise but reading from stock dials says im getting boost... should i be worried yet?

2. i want the car running standard as close to 100% as i can get before i start trying to get it to burst into flames.... are there any "typical " things i should be looking for or should i !Removed! until after the rolling road test?

3. prices for rolling road tests seem arbitrary at best ...ive been quoted anything from £75 for a test read through £350 for a test and remap all the way to £600 for a test , new chip and remap and the prices vary greatly from dealer to dealer... is there a benchmark for this stuff or am I back in horse trading territory?

many thx in advance again

and i have to say this site is most informative ( awesome .trans. ) and you guys are the mutts

:thumbsup:

complete mod noob here i have a lot to learn reading through this thread has opened more questions than answers  :eek:  1990 gt4 import ...bleeding slightly at the rear of the turbo ...

and i have to say this site is most informative ( awesome .trans. )  and you guys are the mutts

:thumbsup:

Hi Sean, welcome to TOC and GT4 ownership :D

A welcome from the Turbo Junkies ;)

A rolling test and remap really is only needed after fitting bigger turbo and charge cooling etc to set fuel mapping for more charge burning, about £100 at nobles for the remap, + per hour for rolling road I would imagine.. :ph34r:

To be honest no one will be able to do much except check for fueling and make sure you have no vacuum leaks etc check emmisions, adjust timing etc. I took mine to Well Lane Turbo down by Leeds, hooked it up and the guy gave me a list of what was wrong - had a miss a 6K rpm so it wouldn't reach full power, had a vac leak, manifold gasket leak and a few other bits and bobs, got there in the end.

There are forums you can join which have on line manuals, and lots of folks on TOC to chat with running series 3SGTE rev 2 engines, just like you, to lend a hand.

Is the turbo leaking oil? :blink:

Is it spooling properly, when mine was all stock I could here the turbo spooling and the wastegate shutting off, not highly over dramatic, obviously you should notice a pick up in power, although when i bought mine it had no boost control and was leaping up to 1 bar straight away very aggressively as the turbo vacuum solenoid valve was disconnected without any other control.

Its very much a case of trial and error at this stage, checking for vacuum leaks, cleaning out the intercooler, throttle body, checking the pcv vent and piping to intake isnt blocked, plugs, leads, oil, coolant, filters. A mechanical boost gauge is handy if you have one, just to see what boost your making, the stock gauge isnt really much help, tapped into turbo sensor vac line which runs though to to bulk head line (turbo sensor on bulk head just off center to right, small black sensor with green round label - actualy says turbo sensor on it.)

All the general service requirements really. Get to grips with the basics before you go modifying her.

This aint really turbo specific, i think your just new to the car - you've had a turbo car before, these cars really arent the headache they seem.

Plenty of help on here from the owners, if you get specific problems just post on the forum and we can cover each topic one by one, were always glad to help a fellow booster. :thumbsup:

Best way is to take it one step at a time, I bought mine running like a pig and with forum help and a few manuals I sussed it all out and got her running sweet on my own hands- with lots of help on the net I must add.

Any pics of the car?

cheers

Karl :bookworm:

thx for the info mate ... LOT of reading for me ahead methinks

amazing isnt it... the more you learn the more you worry, theres a lot to be said for blissful ignorance :blink:

already gleaned some cool info from other posts

i`ll take some pics after i clean my oily prints off it :crybaby:

meanwhile for those of you with microscopes ...thats it in my sig

once again my thanks :thumbsup:

why cant they make brake pads out of white stuff?....once round the block and my wheels need washed :o

why cant they make brake pads out of white stuff?....once round the block and my wheels need washed  :o

So the Turbo works then ;)

So i`m thinking Cubic incubi... Who, what, why, where, :lol::lol::lol: Nice one Karl. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

woo hooo !!!!

just saved myself a packet

project-...fill gaping hole where DD radio thingy was

toyota prices ... radio mounting brackets £10 a side....centre console brackets £30 a side :eek:

evilseans dicount house of pain and balloon animals prices ... pierced alu strip ...made eyes at the bloke in the garage and he gave me an old strip....nuts and self tappers ...30p B)

total saving so far £79.70 :lol:

next stop ...Halfords to get a single DIN pocket to fill remaining gap and some kind of trim to finish it off

cool, I used this plate, £25 from eBay and the dash trim kit was bought seperate.

modsgt4005.jpg

Now turbo's.

For the 165 project (remember its a revision 2 engine) i'm leaning further nd further away from a hybrid CT26 or even the CT20 because I think for the power I want, the wastegates are going to get too hot and will be too restrictive.

So i'm looking at garrett with external wastegate and possibly a scremaer pipe - but as I only intend to take the revision 2 engine up to 300-320 safe working power, do you think its worth going for the screamer pipe?

I'd like opinions on wastegates and down pipe/exhaust bore sizing.

Turbo wize, I dont think I need any more than a 60mm compressor.

cheers

If you are wanting 300bhp out of a Gen2 block ..

FMIC, 550 injectors, WI and a CT20 .. You'll also need a bigger HG.

You should be able to keep stock pistons.

not too keen n garrett's personaly as the dont seem to be very reliable. im having the TD06 mitsi unit as its been very highly reccomended to me. i have just bought one on a group buy for £1000 thats turbo,manifold adaptor, ext wastegate, downpipe and either a screemer pipe or recirc and all water and oil lines, gaskets etc thats also incl delivery. you can also get the gready kit for around £1500+delivery both kits offer more potential, 450+bhp and are only slightly more laggy than the CT series

If you are wanting 300bhp out of a Gen2 block ..

FMIC, 550 injectors, WI and a CT20 .. You'll also need a bigger HG.

You should be able to keep stock pistons.

Why do i have a problem with the idea of water injection. I know it`s a tried and tested method of increasing boost - with supporting mods - But call me old fashioned, I just dont like the idea of pouring water into the cylinders. :wacko::thumbsup:

For the 165 project (remember its a revision 2 engine) i'm leaning further nd further away from a hybrid CT26 or even the CT20 because I think for the power I want, the wastegates are going to get too hot and will be too restrictive.

So i'm looking at garrett with external wastegate and possibly a scremaer pipe - but as I only intend to take the revision 2 engine up to 300-320 safe working power, do you think its worth going for the screamer pipe?

I'd like opinions on wastegates and down pipe/exhaust bore sizing.

Turbo wize, I dont think I need any more than a 60mm compressor.

cheers

I'm not sure you need to go as big as a 60mm turbo for that power output. A Trust T61 should be able to make up to 600 fwhp (on a 3L engine though). Fensport are claiming 386 hp from their stage 3 CT26. This chart might be useful:

turbos.jpg

And the only reason to have a screamer pipe is for making serious noise, much better for the bypass to go back into the exhaust, you won't loose power if the exhaust is properly designed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links