Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Junkies

Cubic Incubi

Mines coming up for sale in the next couple of weeks. Shame its in NZ though.

Rebuilt engine with forged pistons, race bearings, clutch replaced and turbo rebuilt less than 12 months ago, always run stock boost and not modified one bit with the exception of a fan on the intercooler. It will be sad to see her go but I am sort of being forced into it. I need the money for other commitments... (looks sideways at cheaper GT-Z <_< )

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cubic Incubi

• daktari

• Bibbs

• dawesy

Why do i have a problem with the idea of water injection. I know it`s a tried and tested method of increasing boost - with supporting mods - But call me old fashioned, I just dont like the idea of pouring water into the cylinders.

AFAIA it's all about efficiency, if there are no space constraints air/air will perform better and is the best choice unless you wish to drag race or play dyno queens in which case you can cheat by using ice water or even connecting to a tap when on the dyno.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

god was having a good day when he inveted turbos, i think he invented !Removed! and beer on the same day :yes:

i love it, and as much as people used to babble the conns to me over them i dismissed them and bought one, just the noise is superb, with a high flow filter, BOV and exhaust, things dont get my sweeter

... the gulp from the filter

... turbo whistle on full wind up

... the bark from the exhaust

... the the whooooosh/screach/chatter from the BOV

... then pop pop bang from the zorst again

ive actually sold all my ICE as im now concerned its a waste of time, bar a nice unit for the odd tunes, subs and Speakers are on the back burner for now

just need and external wastegate, :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

ice and body kits are for boys. FI concerto is for men.

appearance is nothing, performance is everything.

I don't turn the ice on in the four, it makes it's own music.

just need and external wastegate, :drool:

mmm <_< B) i'll let you listen to mine if you want (well when it finaly gets back in the car)

• 3 weeks later...

dont agree im big on everything including styling and ICE, love it all B)

dawesy, no its your fault i own the car ive got as it is! dont show me the potential

.....can i have a go :P

not a problem. you seen my intercooler? have a look under rolla update

Right Fellas

I've read the whole post, more than once, and theres no point lying I don't understand it all.....well probably less than half of it :blink: . I've just bought a GT4 St205 of a friend of mine who's handy with a spanner, but not as knowledgable as some on here.

I paid £4,300, L-reg, 47k miles, very good condition.

It's been modded a bit....the extent of which I don't really understand.

Its had an 'uprated dump valve', low grade plugs, its been chipped, blitz boost control, kevlar leads, K&N Induction kit and a full stainless de cat pipe, 18" wheels,...could be more but I don't think so. What do I need to find out in order to determine if I'm running it at dangerous levels.

With regards to the boost gauge there appear to be 4 settings on the boost gauge and he says its boosting at a little under 1.3 bar on the highet setting (as recommended by the guy at the place he bought it from <_< ) Does this sound right? Is it too high?

Cheers in advance for any help.

Mackie

PS I absolutely LOVE the thing...what a piece of engineering (even if I don't understand it :help: )

Need to turn it down to 1.1 as a maximum Mackie, preferably 1.0 :yes:

I've heard and listened to the 1.3 and i'm running fine crew but they all end up with a rebuild pretty soon after.

:censor: bit concerned now :( .

I'll turn it down and continue to run it on the lower settings until I do. What are the factory settings?? Do I need to find out if there are any changes that have been made with regards to the boost gauge being fitted, that need to be changed back.

Is there any real point me keeping the boost gauge, or should I just get rid :help: ?.

Cheers for your help Ken.

Mackie

:censor:  bit concerned now :( .

I'll turn it down and continue to run it on the lower settings until I do.  What are the factory settings??  Do I need to find out if there are any changes that have been made with regards to the boost gauge being fitted, that need to be changed back.

Is there any real point me keeping the boost gauge, or should I just get rid :help: ?.

Cheers for your help Ken.

Mackie

Factory setting is 0.9 bar.

Boost gauge's are alway's good as it can tell if you are overboosting or not generating enough boost so either way you have a way of telling you have a problem :thumbsup:

1.2 bar on a faff is fine, just watch for heat soak - wind it up a little more in colder weather.

dude you have a lot to learn, don't be scared mate - we all start at some point - enjoy it mate, you get out of it what you are willing to put in (and you'll find putting it in generally refers to optimax, and lots of it :lol: )

if you want a health check on it i an reccomend ian at TOYAUTO CENTRE in nottingham. he knows his 4's inside out and should be able to tell you what mods have been done and give you an idea of items that may require attention. his phone number is 0115 9787844.

cubic incubi as for 1.2 bar it will run it but get saving for a forged re-build cos sooner or later those ringlands will give up. are you running water injection?

sooner or later everything needs uprated ;)

true but the sensible way is run at safe levels and save up for a rebuild. that way you keep control of when it gets done rather than having to find the cash when it goes pop.

i broke ringlands at 1.4bar with water injection and low inlet temps. i had however got every thing for the rebuild waiting.

well i'm going to be turbo less for a while as my 185 has a new home - we can't count the turbo in my vee dub as its a 55kw diesel :lol:

with reference to Ian Smith - he fitted my low mileage uk engine into the jdm gt4, strapped in a metal head gasket etc and she's been great this last 12 months - can't fault the bloke - very top geezer.

Cheers again fellas

Boost is down to just over 1.0 now and I haven't had it on that setting yet.

Will give Ian a call at Toyauto and see if he can have a quick look at it and let me know if its running safe(ish). If he's as good as you guys say ( which I don't doubt ) it'll be worth the time and money.

All the best fellas

Mackie :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat off topic and I appologise. However, I figured I'd get the best advice and help here.

I was going to replace the bottom end bearings on my gen 4 GT4, but the no.2 con rod bearing had dissappeared and the crankshaft is beyond repair.

The car was cheap and I've been told to ditch it, but the rest of the car appears to be in excellent condition (minor rust on the sunroof). So, I'm looking for advice on sourcing a new engine and the ins and outs of changing engines. Here goes!

Can anyone recommend a place (or know someone) to buy a replacement engine?

If I put a gen2 3sgte in instead, does that require any official testing/engineering certificate? (ie. will I be forced to upgrade the brakes?)

Does anyone know of a good workshop in London? - I don't have the space or equipment to do an engine swap in my current place.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Chrisso.

Somewhat off topic and I appologise. However, I figured I'd get the best advice and help here.

I was going to replace the bottom end bearings on my gen 4 GT4, but the no.2 con rod bearing had dissappeared and the crankshaft is beyond repair.

The car was cheap and I've been told to ditch it, but the rest of the car appears to be in excellent condition (minor rust on the sunroof). So, I'm looking for advice on sourcing a new engine and the ins and outs of changing engines. Here goes!

Can anyone recommend a place (or know someone) to buy a replacement engine?

If I put a gen2 3sgte in instead, does that require any official testing/engineering certificate? (ie. will I be forced to upgrade the brakes?)

Does anyone know of a good workshop in London? - I don't have the space or equipment to do an engine swap in my current place.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Chrisso.

Welcome to TOC. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Best bet would be to get over to GT4OC.net and ask the chaps over there. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

0.9 bar equates to 13 psi and 1.1 bar is 17 psi , tell me guys what bhp rise can i expect to see from my st205. trd panel filter fitted all the rest is stock. :thumbsup:

0.9 bar equates to 13 psi and 1.1 bar is 17 psi , tell me guys what bhp rise can i expect to see from my st205. trd panel filter fitted all the rest is stock. :thumbsup:

It's about 10bhp per 1psi .. but tails of over 1 bar.

Filter? About 2bhp .. but more throttle response, and allows an increase in boost to release more BHP.

BHP is proportional to the amount of air in and out .. if you have a turbo, you will not notice any major gains until the turbo is turned up to force more air in. NA's only way of more air in or out is with filters/exhausts and cams.

And I've gone from Turbo to NA .. and to be honest, the only thing I miss is the flames, but tha will all be changing soon.

There is a simple relationship between boost pressure and hp:

@ 13 psi total pressure = 27.5 (13 + atmospheric, 14.5)

@ 17 psi total pressure = 31.5 (17 + 14.5)

31.5 / 27.5 = 1.145

HP increase = 14.5%, i.e. total output 255 * 1.145 = 292 bhp.

This assumes everthing else stays constant (which it won't exactly). The main consideration is that the turbine will be overspeeded and it's efficiency running at lower efficiency, so your intake charge will be heated up more (i.e. less dense). This is where a more effective intercooler (front mount?) and water injection start to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links