Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ynew Yaris With Rust And Corrosion

hcrobinson

I have a Yaris with 8 miles on the clock. The underside shows rust on the hubs, wishbones, shocj absorber bases, exhaust, silencer and subframe and corrosion on many nut and bolt heads and the sump and gearbox. There are 5 scratches (hard to see) on the body. Is this normal and/or acceptable?

Dealer will do the bodywork but will not touch the unbderside or consider a swap to a car without these faults.

I am trying - they have had the car a week but I suspect only the bodywork will be done. TGB "investigating".

All faults are pretty superficial and would probably be classed as normal if the car was a year old, or been down a few salt-treated roads.

it may only have done 8 miles but its proberly been sat in storage for up to 6 months. dont worry about it its fine.

The bottom of the sump and gearbox is covered in a white powder (aluminium oxide?).

I thought you meant the bodywork was rusting when I read the title! :lol:

Yes it's worrying to see rust like that but pretty normal just like it is on disc brakes (within reason).

Scratches on bodywork is a no-no and should be sorted. Actually, I'm surprised the dealer didn't just take the car in and give it a clean over. It's only going to be surface rust anyway, isn't it?

I know brakes often go rusty, i've seen lots of new cars on forecourts with rusty discs, the underside shouldn't really go rusty that quick though.

the underside should have a sealant on it... the car should have a there year /60k warranty or whatever they are offering these days, insist toyota rectify all problems as thats exactly wht your paying for :D

Right another thought (two in 24 hrs - wow!)...

If you aren't happy and the dealer won't back down (but I bet they will as you said Toyota GB are involved) then just take it to another Toyota dealer. It's a worldwide warranty and can be sorted anywhere. :thumbsup:

Hmm I wouldnt be happy with that either, definately take it up with the dealer - IMO the veh is brand new and you wouildnt expect to have that on a new one.

My Yaris Blue was a pre-reg, so she was brand new in the sense that no-one had technically "owned" her apart from the dealership, she had been on the forecourt there tho & you would expect a car to have some weathering on it in that case. I don't know if she did have any on her tho as I never checked.

Blue

As much as you are the fountain of all knowledge Chris.....

I still dont believe there should be rust or corrosion on ANY part of a brand new car - not an incey wincey bit of it!

but its steel........ steel corrodes. all that crap i had to learn for my HNC was usefull you know :P

How long is it between build and sale?

However long it is - steel shouldnt corrode in that short time!

Although thats just what I think..... and its never normally a lot! :lol::lol:

I must admit I had call to look under my car a few days ago (not a mechanicy sort of person!) and I couldn't get over how clean it was. Mind you, it gets washed and valetted regularly.

I've noticed rust on the steering at the bottom. Not sure what exactly it is - the bit that turns i think. I saw it when cleaning the engine bay. Oh yeah, must point out that this is my W reg yaris.

The T-sport has over 5 scratches on it too. Noticed some after toyota fixed the leaking roof! :ffs:

I deffo wouldn't like my new car to have shown any rust. The ideology of a new car is 'new', which means perfect, spotless and no rust!

Ok rust happens but not in hidden areas.

Are you near the sea?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links