Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 V Mr2 Turbo

TOYMOTA

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zebidi

• Fizz

• KiwiMR2

• Jones~32

Top Posters In This Topic

*usually* the MR2 is quicker 0-60 across the years .. better power at the wheels, and lighter. About half a second I think ..

but the GT4 will toast you on a track, the 4wd is just awesome for grip where the MR2 just isn't. And the braking is in another league.

id agree, GT4 suffers more transmition loss due to the extra driven bts as opposed to the 2's 2 wheel drive

and for the braking, the late gt4 came with hooj 4pots! :eek: goddam!

id agree, GT4 suffers more transmition loss due to the extra driven bts as opposed to the 2's 2 wheel drive

and for the braking, the late gt4 came with hooj 4pots! :eek: goddam!

Same pads at the mk4 soop ..

Would that be the same for the GT4 RC (Carlos Saintz (spelling) one??

I only ask, cos a mate of mine has just bought one with 70k on it for £2400!

He's got a liquid cooled intercooler on it (which is basicly a charge cooler??)

I love the rear seats in it, they really hug your body.

I get the ST185 Carlos Sainz GT4 as having a 0-60 MPH in 7.6 seconds, the ST185's really were quite heavy, roughly 1520 kg's.

The Type I & II MR2 was quicker 0-60 for sure. Yep, water to air intercooler instead of the air to air the MR2 has.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

yes the CS versions came std with the toyota top mount charge cooler

and itll fit the 2 aswell :yes:

What about GT4 ST205 vs Rev3 MR2 Turbo?

Now that is a closer match, the MR2 will win in a drag still though (however the launch would have to be pretty spot on!)

The ST205 has 10hp more (255 vs 245) that the MR2 because of the W2A ic, however again there weight counter act's that. One of the local boys here dyno'd his GT4 a couple of weeks before me, sames mods (just intake & exhaust....I have a cat back, not sure but I think his is a full exhaust) but he made 247hp ATW's & I made 263hp ATW's so as you can see pretty close :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

*usually* the MR2 is quicker 0-60 across the years .. better power at the wheels, and lighter. About half a second I think ..

but the GT4 will toast you on a track, the 4wd is just awesome for grip where the MR2 just isn't. And the braking is in another league.

I'm surprised you think there would be a huge difference on the track. The MR2 having less weight, and having that wieght in the centre of the car, should perform well on the track too.

Also, the brakes on the Celica may be better stoppers, but again they have more weight to deal with.

I'm not saying your wrong, as you've probably driven both on a track and I haven't; just saying that it surprises me that there would be that much between the two cars.

IMO the MR2 would be just as good if not better on the track........assuming the driver is skilled enough :) That would make a world of difference, the MR2 is REALLY well balanced and should be able to enter & exit the corners just as quick if not quicker but the average joe wouldn't be able to keep to out perform the GT4.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

There were a couple of ST205's at Brunters TOC track day and as far as i can recall.. they had to move outta the way for us Rev 3 Tubby lads.

Even the Supra's had to move outta our way as they were holding us up in the twisties!.. :lol:

the problem is that the Mr2 has good grip, but there is somehting about 4wd that can pull you round a corner .. and the MR2's weight distribution is far from perfect.

.. and the MR2's weight distribution is far from perfect.

You're right there - It's supposed to be mid engined (by definition) but it's very nearly rear engined to be honest - the weight is only just in front of the rear axle.

I've found in the dry with the cusco's there wasn't much that could keep up round a corner .. but in the wet or multiple corners and the problems with MacPherson's and the heavy back/light frond come into play.

Where the GT4 with double wishbones and the weight over the front, seems to handle better (why Toyota chose the Celica, not the MR2 for rally's I suppose ;) )

I think the SW20 has a weight distribution of around 51/49. Some people prefer to have a slight weight bias towards therear wheels... around 45/55. The added weight helps to power out of corners without overly unweighting the steering set of wheels.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

sw20 mr2s are around 57% rear 43% front or 56% rear 44% front weight distribution

Just checked again & the Japanese De-Reg papers for a mate's '94 GT-S it's 43/57 (F/R) so you are indeed correct :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I've found in the dry with the cusco's there wasn't much that could keep up round a corner .. but in the wet or multiple corners and the problems with MacPherson's and the heavy back/light frond come into play.

Where the GT4 with double wishbones and the weight over the front, seems to handle better (why Toyota chose the Celica, not the MR2 for rally's I suppose ;) )

whoops school boy error, rally car 4wd and turbo'd what whould you choose? maybe if the likes in the lancia stratus was still allowed.

kiwimr2 post(

IMO the MR2 would be just as good if not better on the track........assuming the driver is skilled enough That would make a world of difference, the MR2 is REALLY well balanced and should be able to enter & exit the corners just as quick if not quicker but the average joe wouldn't be able to keep to out perform the GT4.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

so basicly your saying the mr2 on track has the potential to be quicker but needs a great driver, but a celeca is more forgiving and better for the lesser driver?

i do think they take some 'getting-used-to'

FF and FR cars are of course light on the back end and everything seems to pivot around the front bumper if the tail slides etc...

with the MR it feels like it pivots around the center so both the back and front end feel they are sliding in opposite directions

its definately not a car for the faint hearted!

so basicly your saying the mr2 on track has the potential to be quicker but needs a great driver,  but a celeca is more forgiving and better for the lesser driver?

Spot on :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I think my s2k is quicker round the bends due to the 50/50 setup and the engine behind the front wheels.

either way, on a track it's usually down to driver skill .. I've been embarassed by mk1 golfs and overtook a 911 turbo last 'ring trip .

I think my s2k is quicker round the bends due to the 50/50 setup and the engine behind the front wheels.

either way, on a track it's usually down to driver skill .. I've been embarassed by mk1 golfs and overtook a 911 turbo last 'ring trip .

Me and Kev (Porka GT3 driver) got taken by a !Removed! megane!... not even the sport model!!..

I personally saw a micra take a Porka at the spectator section.. was funny as hell!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links