Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aother What Car Should I Buy Thread...

sotal

OK I've never managed to last 2 years with the same car and I've had the Celica for about 18 months now :rolleyes: . The good thing with the celica is I have had no repair bills yet, but that might mean they would come soon!!

I've been thinking for the last couple of months that I want to swap but I just can't decide what to.

I just found out I can get affordable insurance on a GT4 (£700 F/C on a 96) but I don't think the GT4 has the right image for me.

I have to go to lots of business meetings etc so I need a car that looks the part, having said that I don't want to be too boring. I like sporty looks etc

My main driving is 6 miles to work and back every day - most of which is 30mph some is 40mph I get a max speed of 50mph if I'm lucky. I probably go on the motorway about 10 times a year and my average annual mileage is 6-7k miles.

I like gadgety type things in cars, I occasionally carry large things (which the celica is actually really good at doing) I try to avoid taking passengers in the back so I'm not fussed about the number of seats.

Any ideas??? Whatever it is it won't be brand new, not sure on budget.

I quite like the IS200 but I'm worried that it looks a little uninspiring and not really sporty enough. I also like the look of the newer shape rav4's but they seem a little plasticky inside. I love the looks of the gen 6 celica but am worried that if I have another I will be wanting to change even sooner. I don't like any small cars (yaris, aygo etc) but I also don't like huge saloons or estates. I also wouldn't entertain anything French after owning a 306 I promised myself that!! I don't really need power but I also don't mind if it's there!!

Toyota Soarer? :)

2.5TT is plenty fast, 4.0 v8 is smooth and plenty of torque.

Either you can pick up for £2-3k for a good one and they look pretty classy :thumbsup:

MR2 - I know of one for sale ;)

Seriously, how about an Altezza with the 3sge engine .. IS200, but with a 220bhp Beams engine ..

Thanks guys that's given me another two to add to my list :D

Leeky - I like the look of the Soarer from the front and I'm guessing it's a bit of a sleeper from the size of the engine?? Not too keen on the backend though. - Strong possibilty if I need to keep my budget down :thumbsup:

Bibbs - I really like the Altezza, are they all imports?? They seem well priced from a quick look on autotrader they seem to start at around £6k. Would stupid people look at it and think oh look he got a Toyota Altezza because he couldn't afford a lexus???

They seem well priced from a quick look on autotrader they seem to start at around £6k. Would stupid people look at it and think oh look he got a Toyota Altezza because he couldn't afford a lexus???

Not all Altezza's have the 3sge, the standard car has the same 2ltrs 6 cylinder as the is200 over here.

The RS200 version has the 4cylinder engine from the gen 6 celica with vvti to make the 220bhp ben mentioned.

People in the know will give you uber respect for owning an rs200, those who think its a cheap version of the lexus are either stupid/ignorant or they arent a petrol head :thumbsup:

Just looked on Autotrader and the cheapest one said it was a Altezza LS200 with a 2litre Beams engine:

1998  TOYOTA ALTEZZA LS200,

50,000 miles, 2.0l vvti beams .automatic/tiptronic 7months tax and mot e/w x 4. folding e/m,immob. air con 6cd head unit 17" alloys climate control. 210bhp rear spoiler. front fog lights. air purifier. £6,300. ono.

The next one is quite a bit more but says it is an RS200 (lacks the spoiler though):

1999  TOYOTA ALTEZZA RS 200,

96,000 miles, FTSH,PAS,4EW,EM,CD,THIS IS A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING 210BHP BEAMS VVTI ENGINE 0-60 IN 6.9 SEC 6 SPEED BOX,TOTALLY IMMACULATE CONDITION,NEW TYRES AND UNMARKED ALLOYS GREAT CAR DRIVES LIKE NEW UNMARKED INSIDE AND OUT.VERY RARE CAR STANDS OUT FROM THE REST. £7,995. ono.

They both say they are 210bhp, is the first one a typo and they are both RS200s???

Other than that I really like that car and at 220bhp it puts it into GT4 teritory whilst maintaining an image which doesn't make you out to be a racer. :lol:

Doesn't have to be to boy racer esque with the GT4 does it? I mean you could have the normal face lift body on it, and the non WRC spoiler. I prefer things a bit subtle myself.

to be honest it's the bonnet vents I don't like. The spoiler and skirts could stay but the vents just don't do much for me and make me think of all those novas out there with bits of chicken wire cellotaped to the bonnet :!Removed!:

I'm probably insulting celicas a bit and I don't mean it really but it is just a bit too sporty looking for turning up at business meetings in a suit! I want something a bit more subtle. I've got to say the Altezza was a bit of a suprise - I really like it. As long as everything goes OK (money wise) and I don't find something that fits better I'll try and get one after winter

OK I've found a problem with the Altezza....

Insurance

It's not that's it high (I can't get that far!) Nobody even wants to insure it!

Norwhich Union have an info page on imports and it says they refuse to insure them.

Directline and Churchill both just don't list them!

I tried an insurance quote for a Lexus IS200 Sport 2.0 litre and that came out less than my Celica but I'm guessing the RS200 will be a bit more!! Any ideas for companies that will insure it through a quick web quote???

Yep, i had the same problem when i was thinking of getting one.

Very few companies have the car listed.

The best way around it i've seen since is to insure it as an IS200 Import.

Elephant and Admiral etc all have this on their system and thats essentially what the Altezza is :)

I did a quote with elephant for a Lexus IS200 sport import which came in at £670 f/c but Im just not sure if thats the right engine etc

Well it depends on how the companies look at it.

True the is200 and the altezza are essentially the same car. Main difference is the number of cylinders.

If you tell them its an imported is200 2 litre then your not lying :) I mean if you wrote it off and they moaned about it being a 4cylinder rather than a 6 cylinder i dont know how you would stand. I mean they dont ask how many cylinders your engine has when you take the policy out :) And how do they know your technically minded in cars and know how many cylinders the engine has anyway?

If you wanted to be 100% then i guess insuring it as an altezza rs200 would be best but im a dodgy git and would just insure it as an is200 import :lol: ;)

Just phoned Adrian Flux as they're quite good with these sort of things and they quoted me £1206 F/C on an import 1999 Toyota Altezza RS200. Then I suppose I should get a discount for being gold on top of that!!

I asked them about the quote from elephant and he said he thought that it would be the same car but I should phone Elephant to make sure. I don't mind paying elephants price!

Just phoned Adrian Flux as they're quite good with these sort of things and they quoted me £1206 F/C on an import 1999 Toyota Altezza RS200. Then I suppose I should get a discount for being gold on top of that!!

I asked them about the quote from elephant and he said he thought that it would be the same car but I should phone Elephant to make sure. I don't mind paying elephants price!

Try not to mention to elephant about the different number of cylinders ;) Just tell them its an imported version of the lexus is200 and has 220bhp instead of 175 (or whatever the is200 has) :yes:

Im 99% sure once you say it has 4 cylinders instead of 6 they will refuse to insure it :yes:

But hey thats just what i would do :D :lol:

I just rang elephant, They said I can only insure it as a Lexus IS200 import if that is what it says it is on the paperwork etc. They refuse to insure a Altezza :(

Looks like Adrian FLuxes 1200 is the price I'm looking at. - Always vowed I would never pay more than a gran for insurance!

I just rang elephant, They said I can only insure it as a Lexus IS200 import if that is what it says it is on the paperwork etc. They refuse to insure a Altezza :(

Looks like Adrian FLuxes 1200 is the price I'm looking at. - Always vowed I would never pay more than a gran for insurance!

Well in that case :) Get a fresh RS200 import and register it as a Lexus IS200 :thumbsup: Bobs your uncle :lol:

You see all these 'Lexus Soarers' on the auto trader. They would all have come into the country as Toyota Soarers and registered as Lexus Soarers ;)

That sounds very dodgy...

... now where do I go to import one!!! Seriously though Leeky you seem to spot lots of cars a through various (dodgy) ways - If you see a nice Altezza let me know :thumbsup:

£1200!!!

*****, I'd never pay that much for insurance!

nope me neither! The most I ever paid was £800, I'm at around £500 for the celica now Fully Comp and would prefer not to go above £750. I can insure a GT4 for £720 f/c

:(

Imported Toyota Sera + 20 year old driver + 0 NCD= £1330 insurance for me!

thank god i got 1 years no claims now, dropped by 500 big ones!

worthevery penny tho :)

£1200!!!

*****, I'd never pay that much for insurance!

£1250 for a 1.3 Yaris SR. Think yourselves very lucky!

you thought about the gen7 celica nice an gadgetry with looks to die for but not too im getting on abit,

:(

Imported Toyota Sera + 20 year old driver + 0 NCD= £1330 insurance for me!

thank god i got 1 years no claims now, dropped by 500 big ones!

worthevery penny tho :)

Worth every penny too !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links