Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving Tips

vmail

Some of you may already know that I was meant to fly out to Florida on Monday. I can book the flight with no problems but I am unable to book a hotel, because none of the hotels have electricity or water. So the trip to Florida has been delayed.

I have never driven in the US before and I will be there on my own, I have been told to get an automatic SUV. The last time I drove an automatic was in 1999, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to remember how to drive one.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to drive in the US?

I have been told the following:

There are no roundabouts in the US so there are no crazy rules like there is in France.

If there is a Stop sign, you must stop. It nothing like the stop sign in the UK, the first person who stops at the junction will have the right of way.

A flashing amber traffic light means you may turn if it is safe to.

You drive on the right hand side on the road

What are the speed limits?

I have spoken to a few Americans over the phone and it is sometime quite difficult to communicate with them, are there any word that I should not use?

Later on in Jan-Feb I will be going to China.

I don’t speak the language

Can read any read the road signs

Does anyone know how to drive in china?

Does anyone know how to drive in china?

Don't - get a driver. Honestly...

There is a Chauffeur, only from 7am to 7pm. To take me to and from work. So its that bad?

According to my boss and the MD - yes!!!

I believe the term they used was "traffic anarchy"....

A

I don’t want to go to China, is it true if I go to China I will have to choose a Chinese name for myself from a list issued by the Chinese Government?

I don’t want to go to China, is it true if I go to China I will have to choose a Chinese name for myself from a list issued by the Chinese Government?

Now you're extracting the urine... <_<

If you get stopped by the police make sure your hands are visible and don't reach in your jacket for your passport until they ask. (From Experience!)

Ok - you should be ok in the US. i used to live over there..

most of them are pretty decent but they don't understand UK slang talk, so just be yourself.

Luckily Florida is a very touristy place so there will be a lot of brits about (usually found in flowery T-shirts, Video cameras & !Removed! packs :P)

Speed limit is 55mph for a national speed limit from memory & they are VERY hot on traffic violations.

Auto's probably your best bet mate - less things to remember & yes you HAVE to stop at a stop sign, even where nobody else is on the road, if a state trooper see's you skip he will pull you.

regarding Gareth B's statement, i'm not sure if thats aimed at China or the USA but its generally a good idea to do that anyway, since all the terrorist attacks i'd think that they'd be more cautious but not that bad.

Oh & don't be supprised if you get asked for ID buying beer. as the age limit over there is 21 they will ask everyone (even my old man who was 55 :rolleyes: )

J

Most american cars are automatics anyway... it's mainly older classics or sports cars that are manuals, or 'stick-shifts'. The lever is usually on the dash in american cars... especially SUV's. My uncles driven there a few times... he says it's pretty easy really... the cars all have plenty of power and drive like they're on jelly suspension, but the police in Florida are apparantly pretty darn strict he says... no speeding at all. Just watch for the signs... as far as im aware it's in MPH, so no probs there.

Erm, oh yeah, in some parts of florida, aligators have right-of-way at all times! (Not sure if that's still true though!)

just spent 6 months in the Caribean and they drive with abit of everyones rules.

flash amber means you can go if clear.

you can turn right at a red light

dont carry beer in the car it has to be locked in the boot

you can't use car pools if there is only you in the car(CARPOOL = left hand fast lane on some free ways) and if your going in or out of them use the exit areas(dont cross the big line)

its easy just remember when you turn at junctions drive yourself to the middle of the road if your passenger is in the middle of the road then your driving on the wrong side.(unless in ST lucia they use left hand drive cars and drive on the same side as us/ maddness)

auto cars. lots of the bigger cars are coloum shift, easy to use it tells you on the dash what gear your in.

hand brake is sometimes on a pedle (like a golf cart)

If possible get a Jap car in America.

We had a Dodge SUV last time we went and it was very strange to get used to - and very bulky compared to its internal capacity. Fortunately it went wrong after a few days and the hire company brought us a replacement - a LWB Shogun which had all the controls exactly where you would expect them to be. The Shogun was also less bulky, seemed to have more room and was much nicer to drive.

Enjoy your time out there. Where abouts will you be. My girlfriend worked there for a year (qute a while ago) but as a result we have friends in a few parts of Florida (Orlando, Miami and Boca Raton) and we absolutely love to go and visit them as often as possible. You're very lucky getting the chance to work over there, especially this time of year.

Personally, I wouldn't be too keen to work in China, and certainly wouldn't attempt driving there at any cost.

speed limits not 55 anymore, it varies, if my memory serves me i remember being on a 75 limit once in florida!

i know where you're coming from with the stop sign, what he means is you have to physically stop (handbrake standard) you cant sit on your clutch :thumbsup:

speed limits not 55 anymore, it varies, if my memory serves me i remember being on a 75 limit once in florida!

i know where you're coming from with the stop sign, what he means is you have to physically stop (handbrake standard) you cant sit on your clutch :thumbsup:

yeah - from speaking with an american friend - sounds like the average speed limits are 65mph but i'd imagine they'll have big enough speed limit signs and when in doubt - drive like everyone else ;)

If there is a Stop sign, you must stop. It nothing like the stop sign in the UK,

ALater on in Jan-Feb I will be going to China.

stop at a stopsign eh???? crazy yanks :rolleyes:

will you be coming back?

Driving in the US is well easy...

General tips...

towns and residential areas - 25mph

Freeways 65

Highways 55

Everything else, will be signposted.

4-way stop (and 3 way) - you pull up to the junction, and wait for your turn before going...

Traffic lights - you can turn right on a red (as give way) unless signposted otherwise...

and thats a general rule of thumb - things like U turns etc, you can do them unless signposted you cant...

General tips...

so when i was in vegas and the taxi driver was doing 80 in the city he was breaking the law???

General tips...

so when i was in vegas and the taxi driver was doing 80 in the city he was breaking the law???

:rolleyes: <_<

If there is a Stop sign, you must stop. It nothing like the stop sign in the UK,

ALater on in Jan-Feb I will be going to China.

stop at a stopsign eh???? crazy yanks :rolleyes:

will you be coming back?

yes, Im only there for a week

Legally we have to stop with the handbrake in our country at a stop sign

Freeways 65

Highways 55

Feeling a bit thick here. What's the difference between a freeway and a highway?

Mike.

A freeway is the equivalent of our 'motorway'

a Highway is the equivalent of our 'A-roads' - it can be 2-way road, or multi-lane carrigeway.. (like a dual carridgeway)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links