Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Greenham Common

Leeky

I went walking around Greenham Common on Monday with a mate but it was all fenced up and you couldnt walk in.

I thought the land was given back to the public after the americans left?

:huh:

My mate has walked right up and into the silos before in the past but the fences are back up as though you cant go in anymore :(

I dont trust the government <_<

I'd say it is public property but i think they have fenced it up anyway. Some signs say you WILL be arrested, some signs say you MAY be arrested and some signs say you shouldnt leave your personal belongings in your car :wacko:

I'd like to find out as i really want a snoop around :D

Just found out on google that its actually for sale :( thats why the fences are up. So i guess we will have to wait and see what happens to it :unsure:

racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack

Surely a Common is , by definition, common property, for the use of all, in perpetuity!

They CANNOT sell it :ffs:

Last time I went to Greenham was ages ago. I went to an air show there.

At that time, if you'd tried to look at the silos they'd have probably shot you!

And there were some women at the gates in strange knitted clothes who swore a lot at me as I drove in. :rolleyes:

racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack racetrack

That would be awesome, you could use the silo's to elevate sections of the track. How about a group buy, our very own TOC track B)

I've never heard of the place :!Removed!:

Can anyone explain? :thumbsup:

Greenham common airbase (by Newbury) was used by the americans as a base in the cold war. The large silo's held the nuclear ICBM's (missiles), ready to launch against russia. Big soil covered concrete and steel things designed to withstand a nuclear attack. There was many a protest, and a womens peace camp outside the base.

When the cold war ended, the americans eventually moved out, the base was closed and is being converted back for use by the general public. The massive steel/concrete/earth silo's still remain (disused no weapons in there), and the land is still fenced off.

Image 1

Image 2

There's half a dozen of these and the control room where launches would be controlled, quite a big area of land.

Just done a search and I think Lee may have driven past and quickly pointed it out to me at some point.

The website says; "Once the home of cruise missiles, the Commons are now havens for wildlife and a venue for outdoor activities, as well as home to a thriving enterprise centre."

Greenham Common in case anyone wants to look.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links