Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have I Damaged My Gearbox?

KevT3

Hi all,

I think I have done some damage to my car, but please tell me I haven't...

Tonight, when I was trying to overtake, shift from 4th to the 5th... somehow, I release the clutch too early and by the time I tried to put the gear liver to the 5th, my clutch is already back up... so... a very depressing rubbing noise results... I immediately put the clutch down again to shift to the 5th...

The rubbing lasted around 2 secs before I realised the problem... Have I damaged something??

It's my new 2nd hand T3, my heart hurts... :(

Kev

if it still drives fine i doubt you'l have a problem to be honest. did you just crunch the gear?

depends how fast you were going, obviously is you were screaming the !Removed! off it at the time of changing then you may have damaged it but otherwise i doubt it.

if it still drives fine i doubt you'l have a problem to be honest. did you just crunch the gear?

depends how fast you were going, obviously is you were screaming the !Removed! off it at the time of changing then you may have damaged it but otherwise i doubt it.

I was accelerating to about 50mph at 3000-3500rpm when it happens... yes the gearbox didn't sound that good when I did it...

Kev

I did something similar in the 04 Yaris T3 I had before this one, it was fine after..they are built well these Toyota's after all!! I doubt you've done any harm.

Tonight, when I was trying to overtake, shift from 4th to the 5th... somehow, I release the clutch too early and by the time I tried to put the gear liver to the 5th, my clutch is already back up... so... a very depressing rubbing noise results... I immediately put the clutch down again to shift to the 5th...

The synchromesh, which stops you engaging cogs at the wrong speed, will take a bit of punishment before damage occurs but you probably don't want to do it too often.

I would say your main problem is trying to select fifth when overtaking. Go for second next time ... what were you thinking? :D

Paul.

The synchromesh, which stops you engaging cogs at the wrong speed, will take a bit of punishment before damage occurs but you probably don't want to do it too often.

I would say your main problem is trying to select fifth when overtaking. Go for second next time ... what were you thinking? :D

Paul.

:D I meant after I have overtaken, I changed to the 5th gear. How robust are the mechanics? I know it's not a toy but I keep thinking it can be easily damaged... Also what are the symtoms of the problem if damage are done?

KEv

kev t3 what you need is tte quickshift the orignal shift is crap,

talking about gears i had me gear nob replace and i think mr toyota must of gave me the facelift one cos it feel nicer than the old one,they look the same but it feel different that all i can tell ya.

Paul.

Frankly, I never worry about this noise. It happens time to time when I am trying to shift gears too promptly. Never made any bad on my Ford, hope the Corolla also forgives bad driver's habits.

kev t3 what you need is tte quickshift  the orignal shift is crap,

talking about gears i had me gear nob replace and i think mr toyota must of gave me the facelift one cos it feel nicer than the old one,they look  the same but it feel different that all i can tell ya.

What is a tte quickshift? and why did you have your gear nob replaced? Can I just ask for it or do i need to pay extra?

Kev

my gear nob was replace because it doesn't lock the thread was gone on it,no i didn't pay extra and why should i ? the car is warrenty but alot of toyota dealer's seens to forget what warrenty is all about.

with tte quickshift you'll find change gear's much more precise and accurate than the crappy shift came with the car, t sport tte shift will fit your car too it fit both 6 speed and 5 speed e12 corolla's

www.tte.de you will find it there.

What do you mean by "my gear nob was replace because it doesn't lock the thread was gone on it"? I am sorry, I am newbie to cars...

right you gear nob on your corolla turn's

you can unscrewd it to take it off

when you screwd back on it should reach to a point where it get very tight and cant screwd anymore right.

my problem's are my gear nob is loose it just goes round and round no matter how much i turn.

right you gear nob on your corolla turn's

you can unscrewd it to take it off

when you screwd back on it should reach to a point where it get very tight and cant screwd anymore right.

my problem's are my gear nob is loose  it just goes round and round no matter how much i turn.

I see :)

Thx for the explaination, you reckon those fancy looking gear nob on eBay or halford are any good?

they are not bad but it properly wont fit your car,best gear nob's for your car are trd gear nobs do a serach trd gear nob or goto eBay serach TRD

When its still shifting fine there,s nothing wrong , you could change youre Gearboxoil and check it for little iron pieces. :!Removed!: :wacko:

When its still shifting fine there,s nothing wrong , you could change youre Gearboxoil and check it for little iron pieces.  :!Removed!:  :wacko:

:eek::lol: by the way, how do i change the gearbox oil?

When its still shifting fine there,s nothing wrong , you could change youre Gearboxoil and check it for little iron pieces.  :!Removed!:  :wacko:

By the deeperst point off the gearbox ( under the drivshaft ) there is a bolt 24mm

and on the front of the gearbox halfway high there is a same bolt 24 mm .

the bolt on the lowest place is to drain the oil away . the bolt 24mm upfront is the filling point , don,t forget to place the drainbolt BACK :thumbsup:

By the deeperst point off the gearbox ( under the drivshaft ) there is a bolt 24mm

and on the front of the gearbox halfway high there is a same bolt 24 mm .

the bolt on the lowest place is to drain the oil away . the bolt 24mm upfront is the filling point , don,t forget to place the drainbolt BACK :thumbsup:

If I unscrew those, could those be easily screwed back tightly? I worry if that causes leaking...

Yep fill it up with 1,9 L gearboxoil

Edited by G6-R

Hey friends,

I have done the gear crunching a few times again in the previous two days, I consider myself as a good driver because my dad is a driving instructor... I have driven for 8 years and never done it more than 2 times in total (especially for 4th to 5th, easy shift eh?) I am just a bit concerned about is there is anything wrong with the gearbox or the clutch...

Any suggestions?

Kev

Hi all,

I think I have done some damage to my car, but please tell me I haven't...

The rubbing lasted around 2 secs before I realised the problem... Have I damaged something??

It's my new 2nd hand T3, my heart hurts... :(

Kev

Firstly, learn to drive! Secondly It ain't possible to damage a gearbox by going from one gear to the next! (well you have to try hard anyway!)Buy a tsport or the new compressor, sod all will pass you!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links