Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No Insurance.....

edli83

well heres a run down of my situation:

- was in a accident approx 3months ago, recieved a settlement from Norwich Union less a 470£ excess fee.

- other driver had no insurance and admitted blame at the scene.

- contacted NU and they seem to say they are talking to him but cant give me no other details. Cant seem to get any other info from them, as there call center is in india and quite frankly there is a language barrier.

so is it just the case that I lose my excess and dont get my no claims next year? - unlikely NU can get there money off this guy......

if the accident wasnt your fault then you shouldnt have to pay a policy excess.

i was involved in an incident a few years back with a turkish HGV. took a while but eventualy got my pay out including XS.

i took my case up with the motor insurers bureau, they are there to deal with cases such as yours. do a google search and you should find some info on them. you may loose NCB temporarily but as soon as settled you should get it back

Someone will probably tell me that i'm wrong but as far as i know, you have not got a leg to stand on

Because he has no insurance, to repair the car, you had to use your insurance which means that you lose your excess and NCB

Some companys are now starting to stop this but most companies are still doing it

however the MIB have a fund they can use to setlle claims such as this they then take the offender to cort and get back as much as possible

There is supposed to be a fund that NU can dip into....

I dont know how long it all takes or what the legalities are though, best person to ask is Blue84... :thumbsup:

The MIB will only look into it if the police attended the scene (which you should have got them to attend when you found out he had no insurance)

I tried using the MIB a couple of years back but because the police hadn't attended - mainly because I was the only one injured and I was taken off to hospital so I couldn't do much else!

But the MIB is the fund that DA is talking about

well the police came - it was a pretty bad accident, i spun like a zillion times and he flipped!!!

so whose supposed to contact MIB - men in black ? :S

me or NU?

he actually told me he was with zurich at the scene of the accident, but then after speaking to him later over the phone, he said his insuance mysteriously expired...... yet he only had his car for less than a month!

Did you have legal cover with your insurance? If so ask your solicitor to Contact the MIB. If not you will probably need some legal advice before proceeding.

Have a read of this site:

http://www.mib.org.uk/Default.htm

Also phone NU and talk to them as much as possible they should have someone to help you and explain all this to you :thumbsup:

well heres a run down of my situation:

- was in a accident approx 3months ago, recieved a settlement from Norwich Union less a 470£ excess fee.

- other driver had no insurance and admitted blame at the scene.

- contacted NU and they seem to say they are talking to him but cant give me no other details. Cant seem to get any other info from them, as there call center is in india and quite frankly there is a language barrier.

so is it just the case that I lose my excess and dont get my no claims next year? - unlikely NU can get there money off this guy......

You aren't the first one to say about that language barrier! I've spoken to a few Policyholders at work who have left NU for that sole reason..and they always mention that our Call Centre "definately isn't in India". I think our Essex Accents give it away :lol:

if the accident wasnt your fault then you shouldnt have to pay a policy excess.

i was involved in an incident a few years back with a turkish HGV. took a while but eventualy got my pay out including XS.

i took my case up with the motor insurers bureau, they are there to deal with cases such as yours. do a google search and you should find some info on them. you may loose NCB temporarily but as soon as settled you should get it back

An excess is your contribution that you agree to pay in the event of a claim, regardless of who is at fault. Your Insurance Company may waive the excess when it is non-fault but to do that I'm pretty sure that they need an admission of liability from the other persons Insurance Company first before doing that. Say, for example, the other person goes away on Holiday after the accident and can't report it until he/she gets back you may go to your own insurer, start the ball rolling with them and they won't be able to get liability from the TP Insurer because he/she hasn't reported the claim. You pay excess on completion of repairs and keep the receipt, then if you have legal cover they will be able to claim back the excess for you. Alternatively try sending in the excess receipt with a covering letter to the TP Insurance asking for your excess to be reimbursed.

There is supposed to be a fund that NU can dip into....

I dont know how long it all takes or what the legalities are though, best person to ask is Blue84...  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the mention Em. Yes the fund is called the MIB but we've had a lot of queries on this recently at work..if you have FULLY COMP cover then the MIB will be like "you have the cover on your vehicle for these circumstances" so you will simply claim on your policy and suffer for it, but at least you have the cover. When you have TPFT you obviously aren't covered and the MIB may consider your claim then..I've heard it's for Injury a lot of the time, but we haven't been trained on it recently and I'm a bit rusty on it TBH.

well the police came - it was a pretty bad accident, i spun like a zillion times and he flipped!!!

so whose supposed to contact MIB - men in black ? :S

me or NU?

he actually told me he was with zurich at the scene of the accident, but then after speaking to him later over the phone, he said his insuance mysteriously expired...... yet he only had his car for less than a month!

You would contact the MIB in this situation, not NU. NU say they are speaking to him..as they know his details they may be trying to claim back the losses from him as an individual or something.

Hope that helps in some way, feel free to give me a shout if you need it..I take reports of Motor Insurance Claims for a living and my Supervisor told me I am one of the most experienced people in our office about AD claims as we call them..was pretty chuffed to hear that!

thanks for the long reply Blue84 - made it alot clearer for me now.

in the case of contacting MIB, would there be any point - will they be able to reinburse my excess?

I doubt it very much, but as I mentioned I am a bit rusty on it now. I'm in work tomorrow but we're limited staff only so will try and ask one of the managers on Monday.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links