Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Newbie Saying Hello

caz1

Hello Everyone,

I'm so pleased to have found this forum. I'm the enormously proud owner of a 1993 Landcruiser VX which I've had since it was new.

Trouble is it spent the first 11 years of it's life carefully garaged and very very well looked after, now circumstances have changed (ie divorce and I forwent quite a lot to keep the Landcruiser, mad I know but I'm sure you guys would understand such nuttiness!) and now it lives up here with me and my new man in chilly Scotland OUTSIDE!!!

It completely does my head in to see it all frosted up on the driveway but it wont fit into the garage as it's too tall and there is no possible way to get the garage altered.

I bit the bullet and got a local mechanic who has a great reputation with 4x4's to service it, put loads of gunky undercoat stuff on the underneath and he's also covered just about every moving part with copperslip (hope that's what it's called), this is the first times it's ever been touched by a non Toyota dealer workshop, I'm also jet washing it all over and underneath about every fortnight.

Is there anything else I should to to preserve my pride and joy and keep it from the evils of rust and deterioration?

I've quite a few other questions but don't want to sound too obessed by my car! Hope someone can help and stop me worrying that rust will start.

Thanks

Caz1

Hi Caz. Rather than jet wash your cruiser I would recommend hand washing. Jet washing pushes grime and other nasties into the smallest crevices trapping moisture.

I would also use a good car shampoo that contains oils that fight rust. The landcruiser,like all cars, have drain holes that need to be kept free of leaves. I always get the garden hose and flush them out.

Finish it with a good quality polish(not a silicon based) to seal it.

I also remove my door trims yearly,check for rust and pour an anti rust solution till it flows out the drain holes.

If it makes you feel better the 80 series is considered a very low rust risk. The only ones that rust in oz are those that have salty beach sand trapped inside the wheel arches.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links