Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Saying Hello

johnd4d

Hi there all , Ive come to you from the dissy heigths of the BMW land forum previous car a bmw 530diesel,

nice car but a real money pit !!! now running a 2002 D-4D avensis , I sure hope the famed reliability is true .

Please don`t tell me `ive bought the wrong model ??? :blink:

nice to see an active forum like bmwland...

Hi there all , Ive come to you from the dissy heigths of the BMW land forum previous car a bmw 530diesel,

nice car but a real money pit !!! now running a 2002 D-4D avensis , I sure hope the famed reliability is true .

Please don`t tell me `ive bought the wrong model ??? :blink:

nice to see an active forum like bmwland...

Hi John!

was that the dizzy or dissy heights?

welcome to Avensis Ownership!

you'll be glad that you bought the D4D ;)

what flavour did you get?

Mines a 1.8 petrol T3-x, but I may be tempted with a diesel next time round :thumbsup:

keep coming back - loads of info - lots of moaning, but also lots of encouragement :D

Hi Peajay , yep you sussed me already , or was that suzzed , a terrible thing being dislexic..

Mine`s a met blue 5 door estate very pleased at mo think clutch may be a bit heavy though .

Welcome to TOC John :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the clutch, they're all like that.....

Greetings :D

I like the heavy clutch action, but I think it releases a tad too low down, aside from that and some other miniscule issues I love my car. Never let me down, never had any electrical gliches, runs like clockwork and does what it says on the tin, and I believe you can tune them up quite a bit so if you're into that then thats ok too.

Toyota reliability is all a myth, as I found out to my detriment. And I really feel like smacking all the people who told me they are "reliable", if only I could remember who they were....

....and don;t give me any tosh about them being reliable.....

my cars a December 2003 model...jobs done on it so far:

1) Both headlamps replaced because of melting plastic dimming the headlamps. This is a common problem on all models older than 2005, I believe.

2) Steering rack needs replacement for safety reasons apart from the annoying squeeling noise. Another common problem to all cars.

3) Carbon Filter recall which could cause erratic idling/stalling. Apparently mine is fine but my car still has erratic idling/stalling issues. They said it's the air-con. Right...it's either the worst air-con system in the world or they are lying. As if it's the first car with air-con I've ever had. :rolleyes:

4) Last service, I was quoted £179 on the phone. Because they had to change the headlamps under warranty and the steering rack...they tried to get my hard earned money some way. A Toyota clown phoned me up as saying they found some problems and the total bill would be £590 pounds. :!Removed!: And here's what they quoted for: 1) Windscreen wiper rubber needed replacing...cost £30. Thirty frigging pounds for the rubber. I told him I could get a pair of new wipers for that price. Two new front tyres "near the legal limit" in other words...nowehere near. £120 each. Right....also told him I can get them at half that price and I told him I flipping check my tyres regular like...and they still have a lot of life left in 'em!!! 3) Brake fluid changing for £90. I was sure this was included in the big service....every flipping car I've had in the past they've included this...otherwise what do you pay more for...FFS! Told him I'll get someone else to do it... 4) Brake pads needed changing because they were 70 per cent worn, he said....so what about the other 30 !Removed! per cent...you plonker?! for 90 quid each or some other rubbish....anyway...total price £590. I told him to p!ss off in a polite way.

...went to collect my car and instead of the quoted £179 they charged me £199....I said nothing, paid and you know what...they lost a customer.

I mistakenly bought a Fraud errr Ford once and that is exactly the tactics they used.

Never making the Toyota mistake again....only buying German next time. At least they do what is says on the tin.

Clowns!

Silerav1

If I were you I would try another dealer if you are not satisfied with the one you are currently using.... there must be more than one toyota dealer in and around london.

Also try disconecting the negative lead from the Battery for 15-30mins and see if it solves your running problems..... this resets the ecu and can be helpfull sometimes.

Toyota reliability is all a myth, as I found out to my detriment. And I really feel like smacking all the people who told me they are "reliable", if only I could remember who they were....

1) Both headlamps replaced because of melting plastic dimming the headlamps. This is a common problem on all models older than 2005, I believe.

2) Steering rack needs replacement for safety reasons apart from the annoying squeeling noise. Another common problem to all cars.

3) Carbon Filter recall which could cause erratic idling/stalling. Apparently mine is fine but my car still has erratic idling/stalling issues. They said it's the air-con. Right...it's either the worst air-con system in the world or they are lying. As if it's the first car with air-con I've ever had. :rolleyes:

4) Last service, I was quoted £179 on the phone. Because they had to change the headlamps under warranty and the steering rack...they tried to get my hard earned money some way. A Toyota clown phoned me up as saying they found some problems and the total bill would be £590 pounds. :!Removed!: And here's what they quoted for: 1) Windscreen wiper rubber needed replacing...cost £30. Thirty frigging pounds for the rubber. I told him I could get a pair of new wipers for that price. Two new front tyres "near the legal limit" in other words...nowehere near. £120 each. Right....also told him I can get them at half that price and I told him I flipping check my tyres regular like...and they still have a lot of life left in 'em!!! 3) Brake fluid changing for £90. I was sure this was included in the big service....every flipping car I've had in the past they've included this...otherwise what do you pay more for...FFS! Told him I'll get someone else to do it... 4) Brake pads needed changing because they were 70 per cent worn, he said....so what about the other 30 !Removed! per cent...you plonker?! for 90 quid each or some other rubbish....anyway...total price £590. I told him to p!ss off in a polite way.

...went to collect my car and instead of the quoted £179 they charged me £199....I said nothing, paid and you know what...they lost a customer.

I mistakenly bought a Fraud errr Ford once and that is exactly the tactics they used.

Never making the Toyota mistake again....only buying German next time. At least they do what is says on the tin.

Clowns!

I get the impression you're cheesed off :lol:

Mind you I wasnt too happy when I had to fork out £60 for a pollen filter that looked like it was made of balsa wood and toilet paper.

Clowns!

If you really want to know about unreliable cars then buy a Renault. Purchased a pre-registered Renault Laguna 1.9dci Priveilege.

21k Turbo leaked oil. Went into Gearbox Result new turbo and Clutch. (under warranty)

36k Springs on clutch plate snapped result another new clutch (paid a £170 contribution)

48k Front Balljoints and Rear suspension bushes replaced - £500

54k Service advised Turbo on its way out.

58k sold the car.

I would advised you to look the the Parkers forum, read the posts on Laguna 2 blown turbo's to see how reliable the Avensis is even with its minor problems.

Prior to the Laguna I had the old Avensis 1.8GS ('98). Sold it at 42k still on original tyres. No additional cost apart from routine servicing.

Hem

Silverav1

You want to check out the BMW MINI2 forums for shocking unreliability, makes your Avensis look almost perfect.

Hey what a great response , but if you want to see tales of woe go on bmwland 5 series forum that will open your eyes , i wish i had looked more carefully before i got one

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links