Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1998 3s-fe Vs 2001 1zz-fe

kimax

Hi there from Finland!

I'm about to buy Avensis 1998 3S-FE or 2001 1ZZ-FE. But after reading through this forum I'm SO WORRIED about oil consumption problem in VVTi, that I'm starting to be really confused about Toyota. :blink:

When I go and see a VVTi, where I should look to find out oil consumption. Are there any clear marks or symptoms? Or shall I bring it to the compression measurements?

I would prefer 1998 model, but rust will come soon...

I own Corolla 1992 model for 4 years, and there was not a single problem, only regular inspections and replacements. :) Only rust started to bother it, but it is 14 years old now. What has happened to Toyota?

The 3S series of engines was IMO the best 4 cylinder engine range that Toyota have ever made. Very smooth, very torquey (contrary to official figures) and with the auto box was the ultimate combination.

The VVT-i's on paper have a bit more power but there harsher, and not as robust. 1.6 and 1.8 VVTi's can burn oil and the 2.0 VVTi's are known for head-gasket trouble.

Get the 3S-FE one it's a superb engine.

I own Corolla 1992 model for 4 years, and there was not a single problem, only regular inspections and replacements. Only rust started to bother it, but it is 14 years old now. What has happened to Toyota?

Nothings happening to Toyota, yes there is an oil issue in certain cars. After reading a lot threads on the Avensis forum, it is quite plain that one individual is registering an awful lot of user names and then keeps posting bogus enquiries from various parts of the world that question the reliability of the Avensis. Its very obvious.

Yes many are genuine but a lot are just being put there to undermine peoples confidence in the brand. Someone with a grudge I guess. You will notice how there are a lot of very new users asking and worrying about reliability issues recently, they make one post and you never hear from them again, are they genuine or not who knows.

Good English by the way..... ;)

Hi there from Finland!

I'm about to buy Avensis 1998 3S-FE or 2001 1ZZ-FE. But after reading through this forum I'm SO WORRIED about oil consumption problem in VVTi, that I'm starting to be really confused about Toyota. :blink:

When I go and see a VVTi, where I should look to find out oil consumption. Are there any clear marks or symptoms? Or shall I bring it to the compression measurements?

I would prefer 1998 model, but rust will come soon...

I own Corolla 1992 model for 4 years, and there was not a single problem, only regular inspections and replacements. :) Only rust started to bother it, but it is 14 years old now. What has happened to Toyota?

Why are you SO WORRIED? its not worth losing sleep over, you havent bought the car yet. In fact dont buy one at all if its affecting your mental health. :thumbsup:

The VVT-i's on paper have a bit more power but there harsher, and not as robust. 1.6 and 1.8 VVTi's can burn oil and the 2.0 VVTi's are known for head-gasket trouble.

Is there a known problem with 2.0 vvti and head gaskets? I have that engine in my car, and have noticed white smoke (steam) come from my exhaust sometimes even when the car is warmed up. The coolant level is not changing, the oil level is fine and there doesn't seem to be any contamination in the oil (No mayo on the oil filler cap).

Mike.

Thank you all. I'm going to see Avensis 98 tommorow... Will let you know the results.

Also I have sent few questions to VVTi owners about oil consuption problems, let's se what they answer.

PS. I'm Russian actually, have been working in Finland for four years. I speak English here at work everyday.

Allright, now I'm owner of superb Avensis with 3S-FE =))) Let's see hot it will run...

Congrats, now get that 3S-FE out and fit a 3S-GTE, then see how it runs :laughing: :P

Allright, now I'm owner of superb Avensis with 3S-FE =))) Let's see hot it will run...

Congrats, now get that 3S-FE out and fit a 3S-GTE, then see how it runs :laughing: :P

Thanx for an advice. 3SFE is enough so far, it accelerates great =).

Thanx for an advice. 3SFE is enough so far, it accelerates great =).

:laughing: Glad your pleased with it :thumbsup:

Need help!

Now I've discovered that it makes some noice like a diesel engine (like an old sewing machine). It comes from the top of the engine. I will make futher investigations about it. Does anyone know any common isses for this engine?

That's what I've found from google so far:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=ST&f=4&t=7154&

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/43738-1.html

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links