Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner

BawFlinger

Hi there,

This weekend I went out a bought an R reg 98 GS in silver with 76K on the clock. Must say I am quite chuffed with it but it started developing a problem last night and today. The gear changes are very sticky changing up and down to 2nd, 3rd gear is a little bit slow as well. Anybody have any ideas.

I am used to my ex-Ford scorpio auto, so this is a bit anoying in an otherwise smooth car.

Cheers.

Hi there,

This weekend I went out a bought an R reg 98 GS in silver with 76K on the clock. Must say I am quite chuffed with it but it started developing a problem last night and today. The gear changes are very sticky changing up and down to 2nd, 3rd gear is a little bit slow as well. Anybody have any ideas.

I am used to my ex-Ford scorpio auto, so this is a bit anoying in an otherwise smooth car.

Cheers.

With any auto, first point to check is the level of the transmission oil, and colour, fresh transmission oil is usually bright red. So low or tired oil may be contributing to the slow and sticky gear changes.

Hi there,

Cheers.

With any auto, first point to check is the level of the transmission oil, and colour, fresh transmission oil is usually bright red. So low or tired oil may be contributing to the slow and sticky gear changes.

Ah sorry, forgot to mention that it is a manual

Same advice re gearbox oil level. I would advise changine the oil. This tends to get neglected and it wouldn't surprise me is the oil in the box is from when the car was new. I've never had to adjust the selector cables so I would discount this.

There may be a problem with the clutch. However these are hydraulic and in my experience adjust well as the miles rack up. I have had failures with the slave cylinder which may not be extending enough to fully release the clutch. It may be in that critical position which is producing the drag you describe. Check behind the rubber boot to see if the slave has been weeping.

oh..

I automatically :lol: assumed your Avensis was an auto as you were comparing the gear changes to your ex Scorpio auto

oh..

I automatically :lol: assumed your Avensis was an auto as you were comparing the gear changes to your ex Scorpio auto

Yeh, sorry about that, should have had my thinking head as oposed my 'what have I just bought?!' head :D

Had a look but dont realy know what I am looking at though, all I got was a bunch of thick grease all over myself. Dont suppose there are any pics or diagrams knocking about? I am not known for my spanner weilding skills. BTW, the one thing I did notice is the the clutch feels to low. I have to stamp it right into the floor when at a stand still in gear or the engine labours at a couple of hundred revs lower. If I lift the pedal only a degree, I can feel it bite. Mmmm..... I think I will wait till my warrenty confirmation comes through and head down to my local dealership for some free work.

I think I will wait till my warrenty confirmation comes through and head down to my local dealership for some free work.

What the hell are you waiting for? get down to the dealers and get it done ASAP.

Hi there,

Cheers.

Bawflinger,

I thought " I reconize that name, then read on and it was the same man! " I have a Scorp and can't believe you have got rid of yours!!!!

Anyway good to see you have a Toyota............we have 2.

Reading your post I would say that you may need a clutch change??? Sounds to me as though the pressure plate has weakened or it could be that you have air in the hydraulic system so maybe leaking slave or master cylinders??

Hope you get it sorted under waranty

Mickey_2.9

:D

Its a small world after all :lol: . Yeh, she had to go in the end my pockets were not deep enough to keep it. Real shame and I shed a tear as she was driven up my road to never return... Snif. I am liking this 45MPG business that I am getting out of the Avensis tho :) See you around bud :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links