Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another One Bites The Dust

ferrariboyuk

Sad to see a blue yaris pretty much written off on my way to maylandsea yesterday. Looked like a head on. Its was on a bendy road with a national speed limit and the weather had been wet earlier. Wet and lots a grease must have been the cause. Saying that my mate says its a death trap of a road at the best of times.

Note for all drivers: take it easy if its rained after a long dry spell and look after yourself and ya car.

If the owner of that car is on here, I hope you are ok and good luck with the car.

DOM

Wise words there.... its easy to be a bit too confident and believe it'll never happen to you.

Stay safe all!

Hope the driver of that Yaris is ok! :unsure:

Found out the hard way at the weekend that my Pajero needs new back tyres. When its been dry for a period it always ends up like this ... greasy

Saw a saxo in the ditch the over day with a bloke shouting at his mrs on side of road, had to laugh but then felt bad after! lol

Take it easy!

Maylandsea? Is that heading up to Maldon/Chelmsford way out of interest?

Sounds like a nasty bump :(

Yup - done it myself, a mixture of greasy roads, crap tyres and a Micra.

All too easy - saying that, the Yaris takes said corner alot better than the Micra did... :D

I find the front end of the yaris slides under power going around corners in the wet, maybe its the big tires!

I find the front end of the yaris slides under power going around corners in the wet, maybe its the big tires!

Or it might be because your accelerating around a corner in wet conditions. :rolleyes:

'Tard.

Front-wheel drive car + accelerator + wet road = understeer.

Gert some toyo's to decrease the problem.

'Tard.

Front-wheel drive car + accelerator + wet road = understeer.

Gert some toyo's to decrease the problem.

Verbally PWNED!!!!!!

Maylandsea? Is that heading up to Maldon/Chelmsford way out of interest?

Sounds like a nasty bump :(

Yes blue, it is. Sort of a bit further east than maldon is. About 30-40 mins from chelmsford. The guilty road there (shelby road or something like that i think its called) seems to be a death trap. Loads of people crash their cars there, including my mate who wrote off his clio.H es now got a ibiza and his sis and step dad have both got new style yaris's!

I didnt mean like under loads of power! like any amount!! i do no how to drive!

Toyo's are overated!

Toyo's are overated!

What make of tyres do you have fitted and how much tread are on them?

Do you check your pressures regularly?.......................All of the above are critical, especially in the wet.

I don't think anyone was criticising how you drive, how can they if they have not seen you drive.

Take care :thumbsup:

Please explain WHY you think TOYO'S are overated......................most people who have used them think they are great :yes:

Toyo's are overated!

In what way are they overated?? Every single person Iv met or spoken to who has them or has experienced them says they are the best. Iv used three different brands on my car and Toyo's are waaay better than both the other sets.

I thought you only passed about a couple of months ago?? In that space of time you won't have fully learnt how to handle a car, the way conditions can affect the way the car behaves or how to judge your speed effectivley for the road and it's conditions. Fact of life sunshine, same for everyone. Nobody can ever fully predict how their car will react to certain conditions, hence why the best drivers in the world crash on a regular basis. (WRC, F1, TOCA, D1)

If your Yaris is persistently understeering and you aren't provoking it (ie. granny speeds around corners) then you should get it's tracking and wheel balances checked. If there's still a problem then i'd do some further investigating because my Yaris only understeers in the wet and that's with serious provocation on tight turns. Maybe it's because my tyres are so damn good.

I have dunlop SP sport 9000 on my car, my dad had toyos on his s2k and they were awful compared to even bridgestones! and they wear so quickly! (By awful i mean he said they sticked to the road very well in perfect conditions and on the track but as asoon as an uneven road or minimal bad weather occured they wouldnt perform)

I passed in march but i have had many a red letter day and track day with expert advice, between then and now teaching me how to control a car, i have done skid pans aswell. I am not by any means amazing but i do believe i no how to handle a car.

The reason i say about the yaris's front end being skitish in the wet is because some other cars i have driven on my days out have been front wheel drive small cars and they dont seem as bad.

The car does only understear in the wet but it is definally not provoked, the tracking, balances and tires are in perfect condition.

Toyo's are overated!

How much tread are on them?

Do you check your pressures regularly?.......... When was the last time you checked them?...... and and have you got them at the correct pressure??.......................All of the above are critical, especially in the wet.

They may be in perfect condition but do you have any answers to the questions above?

Sorry i have 4mm on front and 4.5mm on back. I check the pressures every 2 weeks to make sure they in tip top condition! I put them to the pressures adviced by toyota as they are the tires they put on the SR in the first place :)

I passed in march but i have had many a red letter day and track day with expert advice, between then and now teaching me how to control a car, i have done skid pans aswell. I am not by any means amazing but i do believe i no how to handle a car.

No offence mate, but I think thats the biggest load of tosh anyone could ever put.... as Grahams already said, the best drivers in the world can't predict how a car will react to certain conditions. It doesnt matter how much of an expert you are and how many track days you've done - you can still get caught out.

Theres a big difference between confidence & arrogance, the former is fine, its good to be confident in your ability, but dont be arrogant about it, as you never know how your car will react.

The last thing anyone wants is anyone ending up like the poor person from the 1st post in this thread with their car all smashed up. Life isnt a rush, take care of yourself and your car - there's nothing wrong with driving slowly and sensibly. :yes:

Sorry i have 4mm on front and 4.5mm on back. I check the pressures every 2 weeks to make sure they in tip top condition! I put them to the pressures adviced by toyota as they are the tires they put on the SR in the first place :)

Maybe your pressures are as advised by Toyota for a standard SR but do they have any adjustment for the lower spring setup?.............................................and I must agree with Em's comments on this.....................as I said earlier............Take Care :thumbsup:

I have dunlop SP sport 9000 on my car, my dad had toyos on his s2k and they were awful compared to even bridgestones! and they wear so quickly! (By awful i mean he said they sticked to the road very well in perfect conditions and on the track but as asoon as an uneven road or minimal bad weather occured they wouldnt perform)

Toyo's are repeatedly reported to be one of the best tyres you can get along with the likes of F1's, of course tyres are noticeably different on different cars but in pretty much every forum I have ever been on Toyo's have always been on the top of the list or a close second. Personally I have used numerous types of tyres in my 14 years of official driving and find F1's and Toyo's to be by far the best options on and off track and in all conditions.

Not being funny, it doesn't matter how many track days or red letter days you've done, you have at the end of the day been driving for a grand total of 7 months! Unless you've been living on a track and have a father whose surname is Mansell or Coulthard I very much doubt that you would have built up the mileage or experience to genuinley know how to handle a car automatically rather than having to think, that can only come with time or a few accidents.

The reason i say about the yaris's front end being skitish in the wet is because some other cars i have driven on my days out have been front wheel drive small cars and they dont seem as bad.

When you say days out, would you mean red letter or track days where the cars are set for track or aggressive use ?

The car does only understear in the wet but it is definally not provoked, the tracking, balances and tires are in perfect condition.

If you knew how to handle a car that well and are experienced on track days and skid pans you would know how to get your car around corners in numerous conditions without it being skittish....

I don't mean to have a dig and would love for it to turn out that you are a superb driver with more experience than the months of driving would allow you for, it's just that I would rather our members last a good few more years with their cars than the muppets who get over confident and plant their pride and joy into the nearest ditch!

Over confidence is a problem with new drivers, I only lost mine after a good few choice accidents which made me calm down a bit and take stock.

Wise words there Ryan, let's hope that they are received in the spirit that you intended.

Confidence ,indeed, does come with experience :yes:

I'll post something constructive when I find my burning stake and I'll hunt you down with the rest of the mob.

Get some slicks on the back, that will sort the understeer out in the wet...

(You might get a *bit* of oversteer :D)

I'll post something constructive when I find my burning stake and I'll hunt you down with the rest of the mob.

Yeah same here <_<

Thanks for words kindness, Demonic Angel, Red Yaris 54, rhaines, and even Moffmo :P

Ill talk to toyota about pressures of tires after being lowered :thumbsup:

Not going to carry on anymore as i have my personal opinion on the toyo's and the handling, and you lot have yours :thumbsup:

Appreciated you care.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links