Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rolla's Broke

dawesy

well along with a few others i have found the achilies heel of the 3S-GTE, a weakness in the block :banghead: .

the symptoms came on quite suddenly, after a good thrashing it dumped a load of coolant. so this was toped up, a check was done for leaks but all seemed well. drove around for a bit all seemed ok just one of those things i thought :eh: .

then after a demo run with one of the lads at work i noticed the temps had gone up quite a bit, backed off and took it steady back to base. temps came down and all was well again. after a quick check and a top up i decided that further investigation was needed, drove home steadily with no more probs.

next day nipped into ians (toyauto centre, Nottingham) after leaving the cooling system pumped up to 20psi (nearly 1.5 bar) for 10mins it lost just 3 psi :(

so out came the bore scope, all was well with cylinders 1 and 2, then we saw droplets of wter inside cylinder 3.

so off came the head today, its not good

IM000023.jpg

thats a 2 1/2" crack!!

it can happen on any 3S regardless of tune but obviously the risk goes up with the power.

plan is to have the block linered with double liners on the centre two cylinders (weakest 2)

ill keep you posted

it will be back, not too long hopefully, just got to sort out the best way to go

doubt it kim

not 100% on the fix yet, need a bit more research. i could throw another block at it but the same will happen again.one thing this car has potential, 140mph before i got to the bottom of the slip road (very quite before the PC police start) isnt too bad. aty least the saeson is nearly over and i can run it in again over winter

Lee

i'll leave you on the pod list in case you want to come in the other rolla ok,

just let me know nearer the time.

will do. prolly come in the oil burner

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links