Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sulphur/eggy Smell

TRIGGER

:D Hi all, i have a none vvti 1.8 2000 hatch 340000, has anyone got anymore info on the horrible eggy/sulphur smell after putting your foot down, maybe someone has actually found out the problem and fixed it if it was possible?,. Mine actually seems worse now, im at at point now where im actually going to sell the car because of this smell as its so overpowering, can anyone shed some light?, thx all kind regards :D :D .

It's sulphur that the CAT has collected. Sometimes can be caused by a worn CAT though usually its just the sulphur 'dust' being shaken out of the CAT under very hard sudden acceleration.

Can't comment on the CAT, but our dog has been known to create such a smell when he's been in the back of the car!! :P

Sorry, but to be serious I have heard that CATs can be damaged by over-filling the engine with oil.

Hi Trigger

The smell is about right for a partially worn cat. It also could be caused by lots of cold starts. a cool running engine (thermostat stuck open) or town driving. This last generation of engine (4A-FE and 7A-FE) took a long time to heat up the cat, as a result they smelt bad. For a temporary cure, try a run down the dual carriage way/motorway- about half-an-hour should be enough. While you're there check engine temp. If you are running cool- change the thermostat. That will help. If you are doing short journeys, you will have to change your driving style or your car.

Regards Ray

Hi m8, already tried a run down the motoryway but with no luck, my engine temperature is bang on at all times. And yes i do short journeys so this might be causeing the problem aswell. And i have had the whole emmisions checked out including the cat and all is perfect. My bro has the same engine in his carina e, he doesent have the same problem though, i wonder why this is, same engine same setup mmmmm?, thx all.

:D Hi all, i have a none vvti 1.8 2000 hatch 340000, has anyone got anymore info on the horrible eggy/sulphur smell after putting your foot down, maybe someone has actually found out the problem and fixed it if it was possible?,. Mine actually seems worse now, im at at point now where im actually going to sell the car because of this smell as its so overpowering, can anyone shed some light?, thx all kind regards :D :D .

Sounds like u got a smelly !Removed! matey on ur chariot! :lol:

Hiya,

Have the same problem with mine - 1.8 Sreg 58,000 - it only happens after fast driving but it can't be good to smell it in the cabin... :( exhaust fumes and all that!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links