Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bogus Garage/registry Entries...

Karma Supra

I was just updating my garage, and having a general tidy up... I looked at my total amount of mods... 68.. :rolleyes:

I was wondering how many more people have done and registered more mods.... so I looked at the top 5 cars.... intregued on what kind of "mods" had been done on some of the cars that have about 70 -100ish mods... and was quite miffed to see that laods of them are just utter <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s????

For examples people listing every single seperate bit of hose and jublee clip used on their intercooler pipeing, "samco straight section, samco 90 degree bend" etc etc

Some other examples:

painted red coolant cap, painted red dipstick handle, painted red fuse box cover, painted red washer cap..
, That is like me listing every single part of engine I have polished?
New gearbox
ERm, thats replacing something that broke, not a mod? If so I have lots of those...
removed rear seats, removed roof lining, interior light, sun roof conr
Fair enough, they are Mods: but then why go on to list "stripped interior stage 1, and stripped interior stage 2" as extra mods? there are is the case of every single sticker being listed as a seperate mod... (14 mods on one car, stickers?) is it just me that things thats a bit silly?

Others go on to list engine oils and coolants... WTF? how is that a mod? Does a tank of opticrap count as a mod then? oooh I have a new mod, I have fitted a brake fluid. :toast:

Another thing I have noticed people do to bump their number of mods up is list things more then ones... I have seen a few yaris that apear to have 6 disks and 6 pads! WTF? Should I list the entire history of my cars pads, and disks?

Has anyone else noticed this??? Does it not seem a little silly???

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karma Supra

• Boro Sera

• daktari

• clarky

my best mod is a acid smiley face air freshner on my ole MR2 but at the same time it was a joke.. :P

I have also noticed that banned member's cars are still in there too, can the garage be moderated to weed them out?

You've got to take most "mods" with a pinch of salt.... my cars 99.9% standard but I've got a few things listed as mods.... possibly not most peoples definitions of mods but they arent standard on a Yaris so I add them to the list.

It all depends on personal opinion I suppose... :unsure:

Guilty as charged.

Rear seat removed 10/10 0 0 Jul 28 2006, 08:04 PM Jul 28 2006, 08:04 PM

Rear seats removed. 10/10 0 0 Aug 25 2006, 08:32 AM Aug 25 2006, 08:32 AM

Must`ve put them back in then took em out again....... It`s a booger being indecisive. :lol:

PS. Changed it now. :D

And my brake fluid is a modification. If the vehicle is fitted with non OE equipment or parts other than specified by the manufacturer then it`s a modification. Not so sure about stickers though. - That said i dare say insurance companies would use stickers against you if they thought they`d have to pay out less. ;)

Also. If someone wants to know what i did to a certain part or how it was put together... It`s there for all to see, including what was used. :yes:

If Brake fluid is a mod, is oil a Mod? How about nitrogen filled tyres?

I use lead addetive in my porsche, that is not OE reccomended.... but I'd certainly not say its a "mod"

If Brake fluid is a mod, is oil a Mod? How about nitrogen filled tyres?

I use lead addetive in my porsche, that is not OE reccomended.... but I'd certainly not say its a "mod"

I see what you`re driving at. :yes: You`ve got to take each one on its own merits. I agree with you in principle about replacing standard with standard, painted dipsticks and stickers etc. But when it comes down to something that is a departure from standard then it literally is a mod. You`ve got to have brake fluid for example. But using an upgraded brake fluid instead of the normal stuff is definately a mod. Especially when you need to stop yourself driving into a hedge because you`ve upgraded everything else. :) Likewise using a semi or fully synth oil is a mod, especially if you`ve upgraded you`re engine and it`s working harder.

Nitrogen filled tyres is IMO daft. You could put No2 in then and have a good laugh instead. And as for using lead additive, You`re just replacing something thats been removed. (Incidentaly I thought all porkers could run on U/L)

Lets have a look at what the definition of modify/modification is. pertinent to this discussion. :yes:

Modify

mod‧i‧fy  [mod-uh-fahy]

1. to change somewhat the form or qualities of; alter partially; amend: to modify a contract.

2. Grammar. (of a word, phrase, or clause) to stand in a syntactically subordinate relation to (another word, phrase, or clause), usually with descriptive, limiting, or particularizing meaning; be a modifier. In a good man, good modifies man.

3. to be the modifier or attribute of.

4. to change (a vowel) by umlaut.

5. to reduce or lessen in degree or extent; moderate;

Modification

mod‧i‧fi‧ca‧tion  [mod-uh-fi-key-shuhn]

1. an act or instance of modifying.

2. the state of being modified; partial alteration.

3. a modified form; variety.

4. Biology. a change in a living organism acquired from its own activity or environment and not transmitted to its descendants.

5. limitation or qualification.

Modification

mod·i·fi·ca·tion

1. The act of modifying or the condition of being modified.

2. A result of modifying.

3. A small alteration, adjustment, or limitation.

4. Biology. Any of the changes in an organism caused by environment or activity and not genetically transmissable to offspring.

So basically anything thats been changed or altered. :thumbsup: Which in the literal sense would also mean painted dipsticks. :lol:

OK then, in the garage today I noticed that my Sera has a dirty carpet on the drivers side, and a couple of new spiders living in the mirrors. Do I include these as they are not factory options???

:P

OK then, in the garage today I noticed that my Sera has a dirty carpet on the drivers side, and a couple of new spiders living in the mirrors. Do I include these as they are not factory options???

:P

Yes..... Especially if they`ve got a metallic finish. :D :thumbsup:

Me and Ken had a convo about this over a beer about a year or so ago :lol:

We didnt see eye to eye but we did agree on a few things.

1. Stickers/Badges/Emblems are all one and the same thing. For example in my garage i have listed one mod and it is 'Various Badges and Emblems'

2. A mod is when you change something on your car so that it is no longer the same specification as it rolled out of the factory.

So therefore fitting a new gearbox is not a mod, fitting a new gearbox that has been changed for diffrent ratios or something is a mod.

Also as charlie said about Optimax - no optimax is NOT a mod. The biggest reason is that it does not alter the car away from its factory setup. Yes you may get more power from stronger fuel, but in Japan that strength of fuel is the norm anyway. If you have had your ECU professionally adjusted on a Dyno to be mapped for Optimax then i could understand that being a mod, otherwise its simply not a mod.

Also Air Freshners.....since when have you had to get out the spanner and screwdriver to hang an air freshner on your mirror? Thats just stupid.....

Same goes for things like fire extinguishers.....if its sitting in your glovebox its NOT a mod. If its in a bracket which is physically screwed into your boot wall i would just about consider that a mod if the car did not come out the factory with it.

Look at me with my V8 swap, one mod - V8. Not V8 Engine, V8 Power Steering Pump, V8 Alternator, V8 Pipes etc etc. Just V8, all that kinda stuff is part and parcel with the engine and i dont see why i should list every pipe, bend or ancillery.

One thing I did have to think about was brake fluid. Now i do myself have DOT 5.1 listed as a mod in my own garage, but my car came out of the factory with DOT 3 because its an old 80's car. In order to use DOT 5.1 effectively i have rebuilt my calipers and flushed all the DOT 3 out of the system. Because of the work envolved and the modern fluid type in an old fashion car i think i can justify this. If anyone disagrees and can give me a good reason why this isnt a mod i will take it down :lol:

Right, now im off to paint every bolt in my car and add them to my garage one by one as painted bolts :lol: ;)

Right, now im off to paint every bolt in my car and add them to my garage one by one as painted bolts :lol: ;)

Don`t forget to list them in size. :lol::thumbsup:

Maybe it should say 'Mods that you've declared to the insurers' - that'd cut the 'padding out' down a bit !

Actually. Mine basically is what i`ve declared. :!Removed!: 2 sides of A4 paper. I just don`t trust the buggers. :lol:

So,

If you bought your car second hand and the previous owner had fitted some 17" undercracker multispoke wheels, could buying and fitting a set of the original alloys be classed as a mod ?

So,

If you bought your car second hand and the previous owner had fitted some 17" undercracker multispoke wheels, could buying and fitting a set of the original alloys be classed as a mod ?

No. Because you`d be returning it to it`s original OE condition. Thats my theory anyway. However if you`d just spent x amount of pounds on some standard wheels (or other part) you might think differently. :unsure:

That's what I thought....( even though mine has 'original alloys' listed as a mod ).

Maybe we should start naming and shaming people into a bit of housekeeping.

Start a thread called......this is the worst 'mod' in the garage.....or something !

We could have a contest to find the most pointless waste of screenspace.

That's what I thought....( even though mine has 'original alloys' listed as a mod ).

Start a thread called......this is the worst 'mod' in the garage.....or something !

Ummmmm..... Yeah. Good idea. :D Just off with me feather duster...... Walks away whistling :lol:

Actually it would be a good idea, but some peeps might take exception to it. :unsure:

Anybody wants to check mine over... Feel free. :thumbsup:

:ermm:

Sounds like good fun :yes:

we could find whos got the same mod listed more than once ;) :lol:

...slys away to check mine :ermm:

I still don't think dot 5.1 should be classed as a mod. All in all it doesn't actually improve anything, it just has a slightly higher boiling point. I am sure if anyone has a prang and gets some bodywork the modern paint used is better in some way to the factory paint used years ago, but I'd not class it as an upgrade.. Its as much a modification as using toyota 4 life in my supra, when the owners logbook states using antifreeze and water....

I still don't think dot 5.1 should be classed as a mod. All in all it doesn't actually improve anything, it just has a slightly higher boiling point.

But when those temperatures are achieved they reduce fade... the same could be said for brake pads. Modern materials reduce braking fade just as modern brake fluid does.

I think this is an example of the grey area, could be seen either way. But those mods thats arent in the grey area should deffo go :lol:

I agree with Karma.

Maybe we could come up with a common list of what we all agree are actually in fact modifications and then the stupid ones that seem to appear quite a lot that are not.....

Some gives you the impression the car is modified quite a bit, but then look closer and it's almost standard in some cases.

I know mine could do with serious overhaul, I've haven't changed anything for months.

Kev

***runs off to check for bogus mods*** ;)

erm? yeah what alan said :P

Unless there is a problem with reaching a limit in the garages or something?

to be fair though, no one is forcing you to look at peoples mod lists, would you look for a car in the garages purely for the amount of mods it has, rather than the model/spec?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links