Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180

GreyRacer

Collected my new car today. No write up yet till I've covered a few miles but I already like it. Just one gripe so far, the centre armrest/glove box is far to low.

T180

Collected my new car today. No write up yet till I've covered a few miles but I already like it. Just one gripe so far, the centre armrest/glove box is far to low.

T180

Waheey! Finally congrats :D

It looks really nice in silver and spoiler looks good too :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the armrest - a very pointless height, i'm hoping the face lift they bring out in say 3 years will have corrected this and i can ask them to modify mine. So much for design inside out. One thing i will say, town driving drinks the fuel, you'll only get about 32/34Mpg from start stop < 40mph driving. Once piece of advise, do what the manufacturer has probably told you and thats keep it below 3k or something. Dont baby it though, change when the green light tells you to around 2k rpm. The most economical driving is when you hit max torque which is around 2k rpm. This is when the engine is running most efficiently. Some people crawl at very slow speeds and change at 1.5k rpm. This is just as bad as over revving as it labours the engine. Driving the T180 loads now, 1st up to 15mph, 2nd up to 25mph, 3rd 35mph, 4th 45mph and 6th only at 70mph. This gave me best economy, i was sad enough to monitor and find the best gearing.

Apply this method every time the engine is cold too, keep it around 2k / 2.5k until the temp light hits middle. You'll really help preserve the life of the engine and it'll run nice. I think it will take 2k miles to run this car in but when its ready its an absolute beast.

Have fun and drive safe, its a license looser :P

Just one gripe so far, the centre armrest/glove box is far to low.

T180

I agree i bought a Auris to and when i took it for a testdrive i noticed thats far to low compared to my Corolla Linea Sol :!Removed!:

T180

Nice one! But deffo needs the TMS lowering springs in my opinion. Those wheelarch/tyre gaps look like a 4x4.

T180

Nice one! But deffo needs the TMS lowering springs in my opinion. Those wheelarch/tyre gaps look like a 4x4.

Agreed, the space is visually large. Although lowering springs are supplied by Toyota, technical has informed me that they are only for appearance and will not add to handling. They may even possibly have an adverse reaction on the handling on the T180 model due to the unique rear suspension set up which is totally different from the rest of the range. I'll wait to another guinee pig has tried them out first.

My inclination though is to go for 18'' wheels.

Why can't toyota fix this issue with their cars? If they are unwilling to put lower springs on their cars by default then the elast they could do is to change the wheel arch body work to bring it down closer to the wheels and close up some of the gaping space.

GreyRacer, what would 18" wheels do in terms of filling the gap though as they should maintain the same (or as close to) overall profile as the original wheels otherwise it throws out the speedo/odo.

I bought the 17 " TMS Pitlanes and i,am going to lower my Auris with the TMS springs BUT its a 1600 and not the one with the multilink rear suspension

Why can't toyota fix this issue with their cars? If they are unwilling to put lower springs on their cars by default then the elast they could do is to change the wheel arch body work to bring it down closer to the wheels and close up some of the gaping space.

GreyRacer, what would 18" wheels do in terms of filling the gap though as they should maintain the same (or as close to) overall profile as the original wheels otherwise it throws out the speedo/odo.

Your quite right offcourse, the bigger wheels will not fill out the arches but the extra aluminium may visually reduce the gap like an optical illusion. As a one press body for the whole range Toyota are not going to change wheel arch body work. Also this is not a hot hatch.

Also this is not a hot hatch.

I know and it's also not supposed to be a handy space for illegal immigrants to hide in either

The T180 does sit lower than the other auris'. I wrote in one of my reviews that when i went over an up and over slope the T180 scraped the ground. You couldn't lower it that much more really.

The gaps may bother people but in terms of handling its great.

T180

Congrats on your purchase - Health to Drive!

I noticed the "armrest" when i had a peek in the window of an Auris the other day - it's not really an armrest, but a storage compartment that looks like an armrest!!! Not sure how I'd manage without it and you get used to resting your arm on it, but saying that the Civic TypeR I had, had no centre armrest/console as such and I got used to that! :lol:

Can I now ask you a question about the spec of the T180 regarding the interior trim!? What is it like? I've had conflicting reports that it is a leather interior, others say leather's an option, an others say there's no leather option! :unsure: Is the option a half leather/alcantara interior??? Perhaps you might know as you've bought a T180!! ;)

Oh, and last question... are the headlights darker than the lower-spec models??? They don't look "dark"... :unsure:

Even though i dont own one i have driven it loads and will most probably buy one.

The interior is a special silver stitched (i think) dark fabric trim with more coverings on the door and parts of the dash and glovebox is like a beveled/crosshatch plastic. No leather anywhere. I asked if i could have leather - not even a factory option at my dealer. The dealerships can fit them though.

The lights dont even look darker really theres hardly any difference. If you look really closely they dont look as glassy as the others but thats about it.

E.g

car_photo_216694_5.jpg

Agreed, the space is visually large. Although lowering springs are supplied by Toyota, technical has informed me that they are only for appearance and will not add to handling. They may even possibly have an adverse reaction on the handling on the T180 model due to the unique rear suspension set up which is totally different from the rest of the range. I'll wait to another guinee pig has tried them out first.

My inclination though is to go for 18'' wheels.

Three things:

1. I think you will find fitting 18" wheels without lowering will make the wheelarch gaps look worse, not better.

2. The TMS lowering springs are made for Toyota by Eibach and in my experience Eibachs not only lower ride height by about 30mm, but are also uprated by about 30%. So I would be very surprised if they had no effect on handling. I would expect a reduction in roll and reduced pitch and dive on acceleration and braking.

3. If you look at the fitting instructions for the springs on the 'Links' section, you will see that there are specific instructions for fitting to the T180 rear suspension because it differs from the rest of the Auris range. So, again, I don't think concerns about adverse effects on handling are justifid.

• 2 weeks later...

GreyRacer

What are your thoughts after a week or so with the T180

GreyRacer

What are your thoughts after a week or so with the T180

I'd also be really interested to get your views :) I'm going to be test driving one tomorrow after a stupidly long wait to be able to get my paws on one.

Current contender is a Leon FR Tdi 170, which I didn't drive for long, but liked. Also having another (hopefully longer) drive in the leon tomorrow/sunday as well.

Can't find anything else I like the look of. I still think meganes looke foul, the focus does nothing for me. And A3/Golf aren't worth the extra for a slightly nicer interior.

The Leon FR 170 is also one i am considering - i wont say anything till you have driven the T180.

Let us know what you think JonoW

Test drove the t180 yesterday while my T-Sport received its 40k service. Liked the low down pull and can see it being good for overtaking on single carriage ways compared to the T-Sport, but not as good for short dual carriages with roundabouts, etc. Didn't like the centre arm rest either if you can call it that. Sales guy said a funny thing - Toyota are getting alot of complaints about its styling so are going to relaunch it with lower springs and bodykit from accessories brochure, but didn't know when or how much - probably facelift?

The Leon FR 170 is also one i am considering - i wont say anything till you have driven the T180.

Let us know what you think JonoW

Will do... still, I think you should say something. I drove the 2.0D Auris just before they were officially released over here. It was ok, but ... I was expecting it to be better power-wise.

Anyway, Build/Quality issues on the leon, like the wet windows thing, and various rattles kinda concern me, and the quality of seat after sales service is reportedly awful for the most part, but my nearest dealer gets really good reviews.... so not TOO concerned about that.

We shall see.

T180 styling is a slight disappointment. Wheels are v.nice and i think it should have a better exhaust maybe dual tailpipes or something. It does have a diff exhaust setup but it looks boring.

With regards to bodykits and things it would be best if toyota offered it as a styling pack add on. I dont think everyone would want the works and spoiler.

Better exhaust and lower yes, maybe some nice chrome wing mirrors - fully body kit, not really would put some people off.

T180 styling is a slight disappointment. Wheels are v.nice and i think it should have a better exhaust maybe dual tailpipes or something. It does have a diff exhaust setup but it looks boring.

With regards to bodykits and things it would be best if toyota offered it as a styling pack add on. I dont think everyone would want the works and spoiler.

Better exhaust and lower yes, maybe some nice chrome wing mirrors - fully body kit, not really would put some people off.

Why don't Toyota just add a sports suspension pack (lowering springs), Sports skirt pack (TMS front and side skirts) and Sports exhaust pack (chrome trim or twin back box) like they do with their Technology/Styling/SatNav/Protection packs!!!??? :ffs: It's not hard to see what the customers aren't happy with so it would be soooo easy to do this!

• 11 months later...
2. The TMS lowering springs are made for Toyota by Eibach and in my experience Eibachs not only lower ride height by about 30mm, but are also uprated by about 30%. So I would be very surprised if they had no effect on handling. I would expect a reduction in roll and reduced pitch and dive on acceleration and braking.

3. If you look at the fitting instructions for the springs on the 'Links' section, you will see that there are specific instructions for fitting to the T180 rear suspension because it differs from the rest of the Auris range. So, again, I don't think concerns about adverse effects on handling are justifid.

I'm thinking about installing the springs on my Auris (normal D4D model, not the dcat180) and contacted TMS regarding the springs. Got a reply saying they're not just cosmetic and do change the way the chassis behaves.

"Yes the lowering springs for the Auris, are not only a visual tweak but also provide a firmer and stiffer ride. Thus improving the cars handling abilities. "

I'm thinking about installing the springs on my Auris (normal D4D model, not the dcat180) and contacted TMS regarding the springs. Got a reply saying they're not just cosmetic and do change the way the chassis behaves.

"Yes the lowering springs for the Auris, are not only a visual tweak but also provide a firmer and stiffer ride. Thus improving the cars handling abilities. "

I would save your money as when it comes to re-selling the car the typical owner would not want lower springs.

I know this thread is getting on a bit, but I thought I would bump it up to mention the Armrest

The armrest/box is available to buy from Kingo :king: for £68.57, delivered to any UK address. PM me to order

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links