Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wind Nois?

richard price

Toyota Rav XTR diesel registered December 2006. Have noticed wind noise from I think left hand side wing mirror appears to start above 60 MPH, had my daughters partner in the front seat listening and making sure the noise is not from glove compartments, vent, inside door etc. I am 99% sure this is a wind noise, checked seal looks ok. Car in for 1st service in 2K miles, would like to tell them what is wrong. Any ideas out there please. Car otherwise very good and no other problems.

Toyota Rav XTR diesel registered December 2006. Have noticed wind noise from I think left hand side wing mirror appears to start above 60 MPH, had my daughters partner in the front seat listening and making sure the noise is not from glove compartments, vent, inside door etc. I am 99% sure this is a wind noise, checked seal looks ok. Car in for 1st service in 2K miles, would like to tell them what is wrong. Any ideas out there please. Car otherwise very good and no other problems.

No idea what the noise is yet but mine does it too. If you get a fix from Toyota please keep us infomed.

Thanks and regards

once or twice my wife has commented on a wind noise from the left hand mirror area at 60-70 mph, I have not heard it yet .

Take a look at the RAV4World forum and this has been a commonly reported problem. Search using "wind and noise and mirror" and it will find several threads. I copied one of them below detailing the problem. It may not be related but it might help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I think I had the same problem as you guys did. It sounded like a tapping or flapping noise from the passenger A piller area. I found that there is a little plastic cover on the under side of that mirror that was loose. I removed that piece, and my noise was gone.

Quote:

Jeff Warkentin, you are my new best friend. And I think my wife and I are in love with you. No, you can't have her.

Your post saying you thought the sound came from a little panel under the mirror was bang on. I'll admit when you first suggested it, and after I looked at it (sans screwdriver, so no chance to pry it off) I thought you'd likely had a few too many to drink before posting that. But on the weekend I finally remembered to give your trick a try and it worked OH SO GOOD.

Took it for a ride with the panel removed and my ride was as quiet as the day we got it. I put the panel back on and it's not making noise anymore. Perhaps there was something in there rattling around with the wind, or maybe it wasn't on right. Either way, thank you thank you thank you. I'd never have thought of that.

Nice one Jeff

I'll give it a try.

Steve.

Have you seen this?

Nice one Jeff

I'll give it a try.

Steve.

Have you seen this?

I'm going to have a look at mine this evening. The mirror was one of my first places to check for rattles - folded them in (no change) or adjusted the mirror (no change); had assumed that would make a difference if the mirror was the source. However, the mirror was removed and replaced during the accident repairs (shortly after which the rattle started).

Thanks to those who highlighted this fix.

I had a go at stopping the wind noise/rattle from the mirror and it seems to have worked.

This is the cover that rattles and catches the wind..........

IMG_0999.jpg

Tap it and you will see that it is loose.

Use a screwdriver to pop it out.............

IMG_1000.jpg

Clean both the panel and the aperture.

I did both sides just as a precaution. Apply 3 small beads of clear silicone (don't go mad as you may have to take it off at some time!) - the one on the left is done.........

IMG_1001.jpg

Pop the cover back in and the job is done.

Cheers

Thanks to those who highlighted this fix.

I had a go at stopping the wind noise/rattle from the mirror and it seems to have worked.

This is the cover that rattles and catches the wind..........

IMG_0999.jpg

Tap it and you will see that it is loose.

Use a screwdriver to pop it out.............

IMG_1000.jpg

Clean both the panel and the aperture.

I did both sides just as a precaution. Apply 3 small beads of clear silicone (don't go mad as you may have to take it off at some time!) - the one on the left is done.........

IMG_1001.jpg

Pop the cover back in and the job is done.

Cheers

Thanks for the photographs, I have just had ago with some silicone, will listen to-morrow

Thanks for the photographs, I have just had ago with some silicone, will listen to-morrow

Anchorman - No more wind noise, thanks for the fix.

Regards

Richard :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links