Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Planning On Buying A Yaris In Next Few Months....

Mr Bee

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and don't even have a Yaris yet, but thought I'd join up anyway. I only found 2 Yaris forums and this looked the better one, and more suited to me.

Currently have a '99 Renault Clio auto which I am wanting to change for a new Yaris, hopefully within the next few months.

I am wanting the new and currrent shape/style - is this a Mk2 or Mk3? as there seems to be two versions of the original Yaris, or was one a facelift model?

I like the look of the new TR trim, as it has a bit more than the T3 and costs less, and only main difference between it and T spirit is manual a/c versus climate - but for the pric difference I'm not bothered about having climate!

Aslo, I think I am going to go for the 1.4D-4D with multimode. Auto is essential, as this car is also for my wife to drive and she doesn't like manual, and the MMT sounds quite good. I know people say the diesel is noisy, but it has more power, faster acceleration, better MPG, and lower tax than the 1.3VVT so it seems to me its the better option all round.

The diesel noise issue isn't really an issue for me anyway as my main car is a Golf TDI, and I'm a bit of a diesel convert these days :thumbsup:

Anyway, is there anyone on here who has a TR, or a D-4D with MMT? I have not been able to see the Decuma Grey colour yet, as the dealer didn't have one in, the brochure doesn't show it, and I cant find any pics online :huh:

Just wanting to see peoples opinions on the diesel and MMT, as well as the general build quality; and do Toyota still have the legendary reliability that they have become known for?

Long post I know, sorry, but comments and advice is appreciated peeps :D

Welcome.

Unfortunately these forums (fora?) don't allow searching on short words like MMT. However, if you trawl through past threads I think you'll find a lot of people are unhappy with the MMTs.

Can't speak for the Yaris specifically, but I do think that Toyota's build quality reputation, whilst still very good, isn't quite what it once was. Don't let that put you off the marque in general, it's still the best IMHO. However there are one or two technologies that they have introduced that don't seem to as good as others. From what I've read, MMT may be letting the side down a little.

I'm sure there will be others along soon to give you more info. Enjoy your stay.

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and don't even have a Yaris yet, but thought I'd join up anyway. I only found 2 Yaris forums and this looked the better one, and more suited to me.

Currently have a '99 Renault Clio auto which I am wanting to change for a new Yaris, hopefully within the next few months.

I am wanting the new and currrent shape/style - is this a Mk2 or Mk3? as there seems to be two versions of the original Yaris, or was one a facelift model?

I like the look of the new TR trim, as it has a bit more than the T3 and costs less, and only main difference between it and T spirit is manual a/c versus climate - but for the pric difference I'm not bothered about having climate!

Aslo, I think I am going to go for the 1.4D-4D with multimode. Auto is essential, as this car is also for my wife to drive and she doesn't like manual, and the MMT sounds quite good. I know people say the diesel is noisy, but it has more power, faster acceleration, better MPG, and lower tax than the 1.3VVT so it seems to me its the better option all round.

The diesel noise issue isn't really an issue for me anyway as my main car is a Golf TDI, and I'm a bit of a diesel convert these days :thumbsup:

Anyway, is there anyone on here who has a TR, or a D-4D with MMT? I have not been able to see the Decuma Grey colour yet, as the dealer didn't have one in, the brochure doesn't show it, and I cant find any pics online :huh:

Just wanting to see peoples opinions on the diesel and MMT, as well as the general build quality; and do Toyota still have the legendary reliability that they have become known for?

Hello,

I traded in a Renault Clio 1.2 "Quickshift" auto for a 1.0 Yaris T3 MMT so am well qualified to answer your questions on MMT gearboxes on the Yaris.

I operated the T3 MMT for 2 years without any problems whatsoever and always found the gearchanges smooth and easy.

The Corolla Verso forums on here have had SOME owners unhappy about their MMT boxes but they do appear to be a rather vocal minority in the thousands of MMT equiped vehicles that Toyota have sold. (Although of course they are perfectly justified in complaining if their vehicles have caused them problems)

I now have moved back to a manual gearbox on my New Yaris but the only reason I did not get the MMT version was that Toyota stopped selling the MMT with a 1.0 litre engine and I did not want to go up to the 1.3 or 1.4 diesel engine.

I think the 1.4 D-4D option with the MMT box would be an excellent choice for you but would recommend that you visit your dealer and have a test drive before commiting yourself. (Most Toyota dealers should be prepared to offer you a 48 hour test drive so that you can give it a thorough test drive)

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide :thumbsup:

Hiya, Just wanted to say welcome to the club.

The only advice I can give is that my Dad has a Ford Fiesta 2003 model and compared to both Yaris' that we have the build and sound proofing is far superior on the Yaris. We've had no major reliability issues with either Yaris' either - they do get the odd rattle/squeak etc but nothing that has caused major problems and personally when I'm out and about I rarely see a broken down Toyota!

Let us know how you get on with your decision, they are great cars and do the job perfectly.

Oh also are you ok with the dash being digital?

Hi

Although I've only owned it since the weekend, I do have a 5-door TR D4D with MMT but in eclipse black rather than the grey, so it's very close indeed to what you're looking at, so far I think the D4D and MMT is a brilliant combination, I love the car! Only problem with my opinion is that I've only done just over 70 miles so it's very early days. The TR is certainly a bargain as far as I'm concerned and makes the most sense on a cash for goodies basis. The MMT is not as good as for example as the VW DSG gearbox, but then it's nowhere nearly as expensive, I'd second Red Yaris 54 in saying test drive one on an extended test drive.

Best wishes with looking for your new car.

oh and the dealer I went to had the Yaris in grey in the showroom and it did look really nice :)

I have the earlier auto box, on a phase 1, 1.3L yaris and the box is great!

However, the earlier 1.0L boxes, not proper auto's but a kind of variomatic, were not supposed to be as good. I have also heard more complaints about the mmt thing then the standard auto's, even in Which magazine. That said, it is still a small problem and should be rectified under warrenty if it plays you up!

I think the main gripe was rough changes or failiure to change up properly.

I have the earlier auto box, on a phase 1, 1.3L yaris and the box is great!

However, the earlier 1.0L boxes, not proper auto's but a kind of variomatic, were not supposed to be as good. I have also heard more complaints about the mmt thing then the standard auto's, even in Which magazine. That said, it is still a small problem and should be rectified under warrenty if it plays you up!

I think the main gripe was rough changes or failiure to change up properly.

Hi

I have the 1.3 SR MMT which is the exact T Spirit spec. for less money but also includes a roof spoiler, front door sill scuff plates, exhaust trim and 15" turbine style alloys. It has factory fitted Sat. Nav and dealer fitted bluetooth HFT.

Regarding the MMT transmission, I was already familiar with Honda's i-Shift which is the same concept but includes steering wheel paddle shift option together with the normal gear shift on the sequential manual mode. This sequential manual mode I use 90% of the time with the full auto mode mainly in heavy traffic conditions. Whilst the sequential manual is very easy and smooth to use, the full auto mode does require an initiation period to fully master and once achieved it is fine. The thing is, if the auto mode is driven as you would a normal torque converted or CVT type transmission it can be jerky. If it is driven in a similar way to a manual transmission by lifting off the accelerator between changes it's fine. It is a matter of practice to achieve so ensure that any test drive is long enough. This is why so many folk seem to decry the system since they expect it to respond as a normal auto transmission would - just remember this is, after all, an automated manual.

Persist with it, master it and you will love it plus it brings benefits over normal autos. No torque converter to sap power with lower emissions and better mpg than the equivalent manual.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it!

Red Yaris - I went to the local dealer yesterday to have a look, and see if I could get a price list for the factory fitted options/accessories (spoilers etc.). The salesman there was a completely new experience, he just stood there as we looked at the car, I practically had to poke him into action to tell me anything about the car, he didn't really 'sell' it to me like you would expect and hardly told me anything about the car......strange salesman technique!

Anyway I asked if I could have a test drive in one, and he comes back 5 mins later saying I cant get a test drive in the model I'm interested in, and he cant get a Yaris with MMT at all for me to drive :unsure: .....what? why? - surely you should be able to test drive ANY car they make shouldn't you??

So he offered me a test drive in an Auris with MMT, so I said I'd have a go in that to see how the MMT works and feels. But looking at the brochure, it looks like the Auris has steering wheel paddle shifts, so its not really the same as a Yaris anyway.

I really would like to test drive a 1.4D Yaris though, even if I have to use a manual, to see how the engine and the yaris model performs; so I shall harrass him after the Auris drive to get me a test drive in a Yaris!

Is the 48 hour test drive still available? I know they advertise it for the Auris, but can you have this in any model if you ask?

Dee Jay - Yeah, I know what you mean about the TR, it makes financial sense, as you get more goodies than the T3, but costs less, and having seen the Decuma grey in the showroom, my mind is made up on that colour, verrrryy nice :D

Bassa Jay - Your comment sounds like there is no torque convertor on the MMT, is this so? or do you mean you don't drive the MMT as though it has one, you drive it as though it hasn't?

Thanks again, guys, and keep any comments coming, all info or advice is welcome :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it!

Red Yaris - I went to the local dealer yesterday to have a look, and see if I could get a price list for the factory fitted options/accessories (spoilers etc.). The salesman there was a completely new experience, he just stood there as we looked at the car, I practically had to poke him into action to tell me anything about the car, he didn't really 'sell' it to me like you would expect and hardly told me anything about the car......strange salesman technique!

Anyway I asked if I could have a test drive in one, and he comes back 5 mins later saying I cant get a test drive in the model I'm interested in, and he cant get a Yaris with MMT at all for me to drive :unsure: .....what? why? - surely you should be able to test drive ANY car they make shouldn't you??

So he offered me a test drive in an Auris with MMT, so I said I'd have a go in that to see how the MMT works and feels. But looking at the brochure, it looks like the Auris has steering wheel paddle shifts, so its not really the same as a Yaris anyway.

I really would like to test drive a 1.4D Yaris though, even if I have to use a manual, to see how the engine and the yaris model performs; so I shall harrass him after the Auris drive to get me a test drive in a Yaris!

Is the 48 hour test drive still available? I know they advertise it for the Auris, but can you have this in any model if you ask?

Dee Jay - Yeah, I know what you mean about the TR, it makes financial sense, as you get more goodies than the T3, but costs less, and having seen the Decuma grey in the showroom, my mind is made up on that colour, verrrryy nice :D

Bassa Jay - Your comment sounds like there is no torque convertor on the MMT, is this so? or do you mean you don't drive the MMT as though it has one, you drive it as though it hasn't?

Thanks again, guys, and keep any comments coming, all info or advice is welcome :)

Hi Mr Bee

There is no torque converter on the MMT - it is an automated manual gearbox and as such needs to be driven more akin to a manual. To achieve smoothness in Auto ( E or ES as Toyota refer to it ) you need to lift off the accelerator slightly between changes as you would with a manual. This is where some drivers get disappointed with automated manuals since they expect it to behave as a standard Auto or CVT box. When you drive in sequential manual mode (M in Toyota terms) lifting off the accelerator between changes comes more naturally and that is why it is the easiest mode to deal with initially. Even with the Auris, the steering wheel's paddleshift option is exactly the same - ie. sequential manual and you naturally lift off between changes. It is the auto mode that requires a little more practice since you are not physically changing gears yourself so it requires some anticipation on the driver's part by lifting off slightly to achieve smooth changes. Once mastered it is all very smooth and very easy. At the end of the day, you drive it the same in either mode it is just that the auto mode requires a little more practice.

Once achieved this box is fantastic - you not only have a choice of driving modes but you get lower emissions, better mpg., no power loss and a fully rested left peg to boot. (excuse pun).

Think of it as a manual gearbox but with an automated clutch and anticipate its changes in E or ES modes. M mode comes naturally since you physically change gears be it via the stick or a paddleshift option.

Hope this helps you.

Excellent, thanks Bassa Jay, a very clear description there, and yes that was useful :thumbsup:

Driving in full auto mode, I guess you just learn at what revs it changes gear at, and lift off at that rev point for it to change then, I can see that's something that you just get used to as you drive it.

The reason I ask about torque convertors is that traditionally, they always used to sap a lot of power and mpg on conventional CVT boxes, so I assume with the MMT not having a torque convertor, the mpg is more comparable in mpg terms to the manual.

Or more comparable than a CVT is to a manual anyway.........cool! B)

Excellent, thanks Bassa Jay, a very clear description there, and yes that was useful :thumbsup:

Driving in full auto mode, I guess you just learn at what revs it changes gear at, and lift off at that rev point for it to change then, I can see that's something that you just get used to as you drive it.

The reason I ask about torque convertors is that traditionally, they always used to sap a lot of power and mpg on conventional CVT boxes, so I assume with the MMT not having a torque convertor, the mpg is more comparable in mpg terms to the manual.

Or more comparable than a CVT is to a manual anyway.........cool! B)

Glad that helped - just make sure you get a nice long test drive to familiarize yourself with the MMT box. After that I'm sure you will love it.

Hi, you will find many posts regarding MMT gearbox, but ask your dealer one thing - how long will the clutch disc survive? Mine had to be replaced after 4,5 years and it's really expensive tning, because it's not such a NORMAL clutch disc ...

Hi, you will find many posts regarding MMT gearbox, but ask your dealer one thing - how long will the clutch disc survive? Mine had to be replaced after 4,5 years and it's really expensive tning, because it's not such a NORMAL clutch disc ...

Would hope that during the last 4,5 years Toyota have made some progress changes and improvements to the MMT transmission not only with any remapping but also on the durability/reliability front. The MMT at that time, certainly in the UK, I think was only available as an option on the 1litre unit whilst the 1.3 had the normal torque converter type auto option - the diesel addition being more recent. So as far as the 1.3 VVT-i & 1.4D-4D MMT's are concerned only time will tell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links