Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Flywheel Problem

zipppydj

My dealer contacted me today to say that Toyota GB will cover the cost of parts but not the labour! Total labour charge will be approx £650....... Obviously I'm not a happy bunny. My next step is to meet with the Manager of my local dealer (weds 4th) to respectfully request that they meet the labour charge in full. If I get no joy i'm taking a copy the letter kindly e-mailed to me by Nev in Bolton making a claim under the sale of goods act.

I'll keep you all informed.

Phil

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• chatman

• Fujisan

• pursy

That seems a little steep for the labour gwentphil....I was £498.00 for the labour only 6/8 weeks ago for the same DMF problem. That was at a Toyota garage too and they towed it to the garage and gave it a great valet after they done the work.

Hi

At the moment we have my daughters Rav 4 at home in our drive after she came down to visit from derby to aldershot when her dad listened to her car he told her she will not be driving it back for a while, so buy buy to my car for a while :wacko:

We have taken it to our local garage and they have agreed with hubby that it is the dual mass flywheel (yep another one bits the dust) mind you not bad going seeing it has just turned the 100,000 on a 03 plate.

We have been trying to track down a replacement kit and have been told there should be a four piece kit to replace the dual mass with a solid.

Does anyone out there know if such a wonderful bit of kit excists or is it a dream :unsure:

Please help if possible as i would rather like my car back, and hes set to take it to bits this weekend :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
I've opened this as a new topic as I would like to hear from anyone who has had the dreaded RAV4 flywheel problem and from anyone who has managed to get it fixed FOC under the extended warranty (flywheel extended warranty 5 years/60k miles).

I own a 2002 RAV4 NRG D4D that recently had it's 60k service at my local Toyota dealers in Peterborough. I had noticed that when the car was standing still/idling the engine appeared to be racing a bit fast (forgive my terminology as I am only a woman and my knowledge of cars is limited to driving) and asked if they would look at this for me. There weren't any noises that I noticed and it didn't appear to effect the driving of the car otherwise I would have taken my car in sooner. Already expecting a hefty bill of nearly £700 for the 60k service, including a new cam belt, I was surprised when they told me that I had a faulty flywheel and absolutely gobsmacked when they quoted £1,800 to repair it.

To add insult to injury they then proceeded to tell me that this was a known fault and Toyota had extended the warranty for this part to 5 years/ 60k miles. My RAV being 5 years 3 months old and having done 60,400 miles, just outside the extended warranty period. I asked when the fault and extended warranty was made public knowledge, only to be told that "it hasn't been as we would get lots of people bringing their cars in when nothing was wrong with them". This statement was later changed to say that as this wasn't a recall they didn't have instruction/ permission from Toyota to notify their customers.

Having purchased the car from new at a cost of £18,000, having regular 10k services costings hundreds of pounds more over the five years. I feel completely ****** off at the way I have been treated by Toyota.

My dealer has raised this with Toyota but I'm being told that I will have to pay for the car to be stripped down so that Toyota can inspect the flywheel and that there are still no guarantees that they will agree to repair it free of charge. Having read some of the other posts on this forum, they can easily turn around and blame the fault on something else. I wouldn't have a clue if what they said could be proved or not and then be left with yet another bill.

My manager also has a RAV4 and broke down on the motorway due to a faulty flywheel. She had it repaired by her local garage as she was unaware of the known fault and has since sent her repair bills off to Toyota to see if there is any chance of reimbursement from them. I don't hold out much hope for her but it's worth a try.

I understand that cars are only recalled if the fault is a safety issue. If breaking down on the motorway or anywhere for that matter isn't a safey issue then I don't know what is.

I would like to gather as much evidence as possible as to how many cars have been effected and as to whether Toyota have coughed up or not. Depending on the results, I can then decide what course of action to take, whether it be Watchdog, the national press or just dumping a load of manure in the entrance of the showroom (that's how I feel at this precise moment). Please include details of the RAV model and year and any other information that you think would be helpful. Many thanks.

HI WE HAVE A RAV 4 2005 WE BOUGHT THIS FROM RRG SALFORD QUAY MARCH 2008 18500 MILES ON THE CLOCK. WE HAVE JUST HAD TO HAVE A NEW CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL FITTED.THE CAR HAS ONLY DONE 28000 MILES AT LEAST 3000 MILES OF MOTORWAY DRIVING.

LOOKING AT THE SERVICE RECORD AT 15000 MILES THE CARD SHOWED IT NEEDED A NEW CLUTCH BUT ONLY A CLUTCH COVER WAS FITTED HENCE 13000 MILES LATER A NEW CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL WAS NEEDED.TOYOTA HAVE ONLY ALLOWED £200,00 GOODWILL FOR THE FLYWHEEL AND NOTHING FOR THE CLUTCH.RRG HAVE BEEN TOTALLY UNHELPFUL ,CUSTOMER SERVICE LEVEL NIL.WE TOOK CAR TO FARMER AND C ARLISLE IN LOUGHBOROGH TO BE REPAIRED THEY WERE HELPFUL, IN FACT IT WAS THEM THAT NEGOTIATED THE £200,00 TOYOTA GOODWILL GESTURE.

iT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH THAT A TOYOTA APPROVED USED CAR SHOULD NEED AN EXPENSIVE REPAIR SUCH AS THIS AFTER ONLY 9MONTHS.RRG STATED WE WERE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE EXTENDED WARRANTY AS WE HAD NEGOTIATED A PRICE FOR OUR CAR WHEN PURCHASING THE RAV4!!!!!!! DOESN'T EVERYONE DO THIS????i WOULD LIKE TO DEPOSIT MANURE ON THE TABLE IN FRONT OF THE CENTRE MANAGER WHO SO FAR HAS REFUSED TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER WITH ME.

HI WE HAVE A RAV 4 2005 WE BOUGHT THIS FROM RRG SALFORD QUAY MARCH 2008 18500 MILES ON THE CLOCK. WE HAVE JUST HAD TO HAVE A NEW CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL FITTED.THE CAR HAS ONLY DONE 28000 MILES AT LEAST 3000 MILES OF MOTORWAY DRIVING.

LOOKING AT THE SERVICE RECORD AT 15000 MILES THE CARD SHOWED IT NEEDED A NEW CLUTCH BUT ONLY A CLUTCH COVER WAS FITTED HENCE 13000 MILES LATER A NEW CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL WAS NEEDED.TOYOTA HAVE ONLY ALLOWED £200,00 GOODWILL FOR THE FLYWHEEL AND NOTHING FOR THE CLUTCH.RRG HAVE BEEN TOTALLY UNHELPFUL ,CUSTOMER SERVICE LEVEL NIL.WE TOOK CAR TO FARMER AND C ARLISLE IN LOUGHBOROGH TO BE REPAIRED THEY WERE HELPFUL, IN FACT IT WAS THEM THAT NEGOTIATED THE £200,00 TOYOTA GOODWILL GESTURE.

iT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH THAT A TOYOTA APPROVED USED CAR SHOULD NEED AN EXPENSIVE REPAIR SUCH AS THIS AFTER ONLY 9MONTHS.RRG STATED WE WERE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE EXTENDED WARRANTY AS WE HAD NEGOTIATED A PRICE FOR OUR CAR WHEN PURCHASING THE RAV4!!!!!!! DOESN'T EVERYONE DO THIS????i WOULD LIKE TO DEPOSIT MANURE ON THE TABLE IN FRONT OF THE CENTRE MANAGER WHO SO FAR HAS REFUSED TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER WITH ME.

There's something wrong here. When you buy an approved used Toyota from a dealer you get a 12 month warranty that "will come with the same peace of mind as a brand new Toyota" (this is from their catalogue).

Did you agree to forgo the warranty at the time of purchase? If so, you need not have bothered to buy from a dealer, but more importantly, was this pointed out to you at the time (did you sign anything to this effect?).

Toyota make a big thing about this used car warranty and to deny it after 9 months is ridiculous.

I would firstly contact Toyota customer service direct and if you get no joy seriously consider taking them to the small claims court. Also, their advertising is deceptive. A March 2008 purchsed car still has 3 months warranty left.

A DMF gone in such short millage... Whats the RAV been used for..Towing planes on the taxi way'

As mentioned. This work should be covered by the Warranty.. And the dealer you brought the RAV from should be ashamed and I can provide a good supply of Manure if needed (Daughters stables has plenty)

Get in touch with TOYOTA CS, and saying as you negotiated a good deal is B-hooks, the dealer is pulling the wool well and truly over your eye's....

• 2 months later...
I've opened this as a new topic as I would like to hear from anyone who has had the dreaded RAV4 flywheel problem and from anyone who has managed to get it fixed FOC under the extended warranty (flywheel extended warranty 5 years/60k miles).

I own a 2002 RAV4 NRG D4D that recently had it's 60k service at my local Toyota dealers in Peterborough. I had noticed that when the car was standing still/idling the engine appeared to be racing a bit fast (forgive my terminology as I am only a woman and my knowledge of cars is limited to driving) and asked if they would look at this for me. There weren't any noises that I noticed and it didn't appear to effect the driving of the car otherwise I would have taken my car in sooner. Already expecting a hefty bill of nearly £700 for the 60k service, including a new cam belt, I was surprised when they told me that I had a faulty flywheel and absolutely gobsmacked when they quoted £1,800 to repair it.

To add insult to injury they then proceeded to tell me that this was a known fault and Toyota had extended the warranty for this part to 5 years/ 60k miles. My RAV being 5 years 3 months old and having done 60,400 miles, just outside the extended warranty period. I asked when the fault and extended warranty was made public knowledge, only to be told that "it hasn't been as we would get lots of people bringing their cars in when nothing was wrong with them". This statement was later changed to say that as this wasn't a recall they didn't have instruction/ permission from Toyota to notify their customers.

Having purchased the car from new at a cost of £18,000, having regular 10k services costings hundreds of pounds more over the five years. I feel completely ****** off at the way I have been treated by Toyota.

My dealer has raised this with Toyota but I'm being told that I will have to pay for the car to be stripped down so that Toyota can inspect the flywheel and that there are still no guarantees that they will agree to repair it free of charge. Having read some of the other posts on this forum, they can easily turn around and blame the fault on something else. I wouldn't have a clue if what they said could be proved or not and then be left with yet another bill.

My manager also has a RAV4 and broke down on the motorway due to a faulty flywheel. She had it repaired by her local garage as she was unaware of the known fault and has since sent her repair bills off to Toyota to see if there is any chance of reimbursement from them. I don't hold out much hope for her but it's worth a try.

I understand that cars are only recalled if the fault is a safety issue. If breaking down on the motorway or anywhere for that matter isn't a safey issue then I don't know what is.

I would like to gather as much evidence as possible as to how many cars have been effected and as to whether Toyota have coughed up or not. Depending on the results, I can then decide what course of action to take, whether it be Watchdog, the national press or just dumping a load of manure in the entrance of the showroom (that's how I feel at this precise moment). Please include details of the RAV model and year and any other information that you think would be helpful. Many thanks.

Hi and welcome to the club.

We need more info about your car (age etc) and please use the "submit post" option at the bottom of the screen, not the "report" button.

Cheers

• 7 months later...

Toyota RAV4 Diesel 2003 - 45,000 miles from new.

Symptoms of juddering from set off for 1 year. At least 3 complaints to the garage whilst still under an extended warranty. Told every time nothing wrong. Now 5 months out of warranty they're telling me its the flywheel.

Toyota are denying any responsibility as they say its too old. The garage are denying it was discoverable and yet I had made 3 specific complaints of severe judder when setting off from road endings. They also asked yesterday if I'd ever gone out and demonstrated it to an engineer, they never asked me to!! Only said they'd investigate it themselves.

Want £1,558 after discount to repair the car.

I don't see why I should be left to pay when I brought the problem to their attention on at least 3 occasions prior to them deciding it was flywheel.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have had the same problem. Took it in to local Toyota Stealership and got told the dreaded news i need a new flywheel and clutch.

How can they justify us paying almost 2k for there **** up. Was told Its a common fault. Its not a common fault its a Design fault and they should pay or replace it.

After shouting, kicking off, pulling my hair out. Still had no joy Toyota blamed me for my driving.

Anyway cutting it short would not pay the amount they asked. Not that i can afford too at this moment in time.

I am being told to have it swapped to a solid flywheel which will never go faulty again.

Dewsbury auto salvage ltd are charging me £800 fitted with a brand new clutch and solid flywheel with two year unlimted mileage warranty.

does any one know anyone cheaper. Needs to be local or if they will collect my rav.

dewsbury auto salvage will collect my car and fit it compared to toyota who will only give 12 months warranty on theres and twice as much.

I think this is best option any views will be great help.

We recently bought a rav and the dealer forgot to activate the warranty. A quick call rectified that. And as they activated it a couple of months late I got a couple of months extra! If your dealer is not honouring it it's likely the forgot to activate It too. I'd contact Toyota GB and see what they have to say. Afterall the extended warranty was the reason I bought from a main dealer and not somewhere like Arnold Clark.

As stated earlier you'll get further by being polite and firm and not rude.

Good luck.

• 3 years later...

Hi I've got a 09 xtr Rav with I think the same issue except I've been having trouble getting it into gear had the slight rev sound whilst during along dual carriageway where I live & now have trouble putting it into gear after starting any help please? I have posted elsewhere but just found this post. Thanks Roy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links